Help with SAS reset initialization. Sorry long post.

D

Dgunner

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2024
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
I have a 2021 x4 lv that I purchased used a month ago. The lv light was on when I purchased it. I knew the lv was problematic. Since owning it I have done a lot of research on how to diagnose the problem. The code it reads is 51 (steering angle sensor can communication fault). I installed a new battery and used the other on my dual battery setup, I checked and cleaned all grounds, I have unplugged cleaned and greased connectors. Then I tried to reset the dtc. I followed the procedure and got the two blinks at the end. I turned the key off and then started the machine and the light immediately came back on. Next I followed the procedures to diagnose the problem. I made it through step 4 and everything tested good. On step five it wants me to
Perform the steering angle sensor initialization but I am unable to get it to take. I have tried several times. What would stop the initialization from working? I have almost decided to just buy a new sas but hate to throw money at parts without doing my due diligence. Any advice or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome to the club.
Those are known to have issues. Several people reported taking them off and having water run out of it.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Welcome to the club.
Those are known to have issues. Several people reported taking them off and having water run out of it.
What he said - I saw a post from an actual Honda tech that states u may get it to initialize but can’t calibrate without dealer diagnostics - just saying

• Wow
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I can't help with your problem, I was afraid of the LV when I bought mine almost 4 years ago, so I don't have it.

Here are a couple of basic Talon information threads when you have time (but they won't help with this problem) -

Reactions: TxDoc
D

Dgunner

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2024
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Welcome to the club.
Those are known to have issues. Several people reported taking them off and having water run out of it
Welcome to the club.
Thank you! We had a pioneer 1000-5 at the takeover last year and enjoyed it. We will be back this year in our new to us talon. We can’t wait. I love this forum. It is filled with helpful people and information so I went ahead and got my lifetime membership.

D

Dgunner

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2024
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
What he said - I saw a post from an actual Honda tech that states u may get it to initialize but can’t calibrate without dealer diagnostics - just saying
I believe I will go ahead and order a new sensor. I just wanted to make sure I covered all the diagnostic bases.

D

Dgunner

Lifetime Member
Jan 1, 2024
Georgia
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

I can't help with your problem, I was afraid of the LV when I bought mine almost 4 years ago, so I don't have it.

Here are a couple of basic Talon information threads when you have time (but they won't help with this problem) -

I have made it through the first 3 pages of the new talon thread. There is great information and I have Learned a great deal already. Thank you for your help 👍

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have made it through the first 3 pages of the new talon thread. There is great information and I have Learned a great deal already. Thank you for your help 👍
Welcome from Michigan.

Dont forget to post some pics of your rig when your all Fixed up or ahead of time. Its Rule #4
POIDH

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!