BOX1

P1000 Here an idea for cab heat ??!

Dubfab

Dubfab

Sep 26, 2017
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got a crud idea for supplying heat to a cab I thought up. It's cheap and I think it would be a moderate install tho.

Camping style plug in to a cig outlet hair dryer. My idea was to get a camping one or regular one tear it open if it's a regular one. Mount it somewhere where water mud can't get to it then run some sort of duct work thru the dash as vents. Not sure of all the unseen issues with it yet but figure I would throw it on here to get feedback. So let's see where this goes good or bad I want to hear it.

I know I will have to look into over heating issues but it's like under $20 bucks to get 2 of them. Seems simple anyone ever try it or think about it

With the prices of cab heating units I'll try out anything before I would buy a radiator heating element

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got a crud idea for supplying heat to a cab I thought up. It's cheap and I think it would be a moderate install tho.

Camping style plug in to a cig outlet hair dryer. My idea was to get a camping one or regular one tear it open if it's a regular one. Mount it somewhere where water mud can't get to it then run some sort of duct work thru the dash as vents. Not sure of all the unseen issues with it yet but figure I would throw it on here to get feedback. So let's see where this goes good or bad I want to hear it.

I know I will have to look into over heating issues but it's like under $20 bucks to get 2 of them. Seems simple anyone ever try it or think about it

With the prices of cab heating units I'll try out anything before I would buy a radiator heating element
Electric heat takes an enormous amount of energy. No way the alternator would be able to keep up. Hence why they aren't used in autos. But hey...at least you're thinking! I cut holes in my "death certificate" on the dash and installed auto dash vent from Summit racing. That, coupled with my ram air hood, allows ambient temperature to blow in when I'm moving. When it's cold, I simply close the ram air and the air that rushes through the radiator blows through those same vents. Works astoundingly well (as long as you're moving!)

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pics shortly...

Photo 3 Photo

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The idea is to make good use of that heat that blows through the shifter slots. With these dash vents, and the hood insert removed, it blows through like a car heater. Vents are 360 degree rotatable and the louvers are fully adjustable between closed, angled so you can direct the air where you need it, or straight out open.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Damn!!! Pics really show how dirty my machine is! Shame on me!

jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Has anyone ever tried computer fans to pull in heat from that area or maybe from under the seat? They're 12v and reasonably low draw

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 4" fan mounted under the seat like a lot of guys have done to help reduce the cabin heat in warmer weather. I attached some 4" flex hose to the exit side of the vent and attached it to a vent cover I installed just above and to the right of my feet on the rear panel. I have the fan controlled by a switch on the dash. Now that it's colder here in Colorado, I now have a heater that will run you out of the cab if you keep it on for very long. Cost about $8 for the vent cover and flex hose.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 4" fan mounted under the seat like a lot of guys have done to help reduce the cabin heat in warmer weather. I attached some 4" flex hose to the exit side of the vent and attached it to a vent cover I installed just above and to the right of my feet on the rear panel. I have the fan controlled by a switch on the dash. Now that it's colder here in Colorado, I now have a heater that will run you out of the cab if you keep it on for very long. Cost about $8 for the vent cover and flex hose.
I'm guessing you have a bilge fan and not a computer fan right? I just don't see a computer fan with enough CFM capacity to even clear the cabin of a beer fart.

D

Deleted member 3748

I'm guessing you have a bilge fan and not a computer fan right? I just don't see a computer fan with enough CFM capacity to even clear the cabin of a beer fart.
A computer fan can move a lot of air if you have a computer that has a lot of horsepower. Some computers need multiple fans.

Reactions: 0860silverado
jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4

I'm willing to bet you can find a computer fan that will move more air than the bilge fans being used. They're both 12v and I've had PC fans bigger than 4"

Just googled the Atwood bilge fan and they're estimating the 4" at 200cfm. I've had a few different pc fans that pushed into the 240-250cfm range. Not real cheap nor quiet though

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
On my 700 I toyed with the ideal of pushing air through the exhaust heat shields for heat like an old VW. The shields on it would kinda lend themselves to this, but don't know if the 1000 would.

R

RRD

Jun 18, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could you post a picture of your setup?

Reactions: WI-DitchBanger
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!