Hess Motorsports 2-1 Steering Quickener. Install and Test

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I pre-ordered a Hess steering quickener a month ago in preparation for my coming MX/GNCC build. I got a tracking # on Thursday and the parts showed up Friday afternoon. This thing is a work of art! It's almost a shame that half of it is hiding under the dash. Lol

Installation was simple enough: Remove hood and cowl, remove rubber boot around steering column, unplug the paddle shifter connector and pull wiring out towards steering wheel, remove the nut holding the tilt cylinder, remove the bolt holding the steering shaft to the P/S unit, remove the two pivot bolts holding the column in, remove the tilt cylinder bolt and pull the assembly out towards the dash. The column will have to be tilted 90° for the wide part to fit through, but other than that it comes apart pretty easy. Swap the steering shaft over to the Hess unit and reinstall in reverse order. Easy peasy.

There are no provisions on this unit to install the paddle shifters. You can run the machine in auto/sport mode without the paddles, or like I'm doing, buy an aftermarket steering wheel, a couple of 1" momentary buttons and a dual push to talk button plate and wire it up yourself. Hess is working on a plug and play shifter button setup similar to what I'm going to do, but as of now it's still in the testing stages. For testing I reinstalled my stock wheel. The new steering wheel, buttons and mounting plate I ordered will be here late next week.

After installing the quickener I took it for a short ride around the shop. It's a HUGE improvement over stock! It's going to make tree dodging, tight cornering and drifting much easier. IMO, this is going to be a must for anyone racing their Talons. I attached a picture below showing the wheel at full left lock. It's just about 3/8 of a turn from center, and 3/4 lock to lock.

I'll update this thread at a later date to let everyone know if the power steering unit is still happy being turned twice as fast as stock. Hess said they have not had any problems with their test units and I don't expect any problems with mine.

20200313 164132 20200313 192725 20200313 210635 20200313 201308

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I watched that woods racing video you posted. It looked like he was turning the wheel a ton to get around trees and obstacles. His arm will appreciate having the steering quickener at the end of the race. Lol

H

HondaTech

I watched that woods racing video you posted. It looked like he was turning the wheel a ton to get around trees and obstacles. His arm will appreciate having the steering quickener at the end of the race. Lol

We're in the process of becoming a dealer for Hess to get a radiator relocate kit as well.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have to order my HMF exhaust before I spring for the radiator kit. I plan to start bending tube for the cage and chassis tomorrow night. I need the exhaust to figure out were the new under bed tubes and supports are going. I'm removing the 1-1/4" tubes and smaller supports under the bed and replacing it all with 1-3/4" main rails and 1" support tubes. I'm going to run an 1-3/4" cage and want the c pillar bars landing on the same size tube.

I also have a custom sway bar and billet sway bar arms in the works. I'll post more about that at a later date. Can't give away all my secrets on the internet. Hahaha!

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I made a radius rod/chassis stiffener the other night while I was cleaning up the shop. That will also be the base for the new bumper I have planned. I started bending up tube for the cage but got called away on a work trip. Hopefully I can get back to it this weekend.

20200315 225513 20200316 215633

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The cage bungs on these are complete piles of $hit. I would not trust my life with a cage bolted onto the stock pieces. I've used proper tube clamps before in the circle track and offroad world, and Honda's idea of one is a joke. Anybody building a cage off the 4 stock bungs is putting their life at risk IMO.

My B pillar bar is slid inside the entire length of the stock cage and will be plug welded in several spots. A pillar is getting a similar treatment. I've seen 2 LOORRS race Talons and both cages on these machines were built like mine. No clamps and non removable cages.

Check out Hans Ada Motorsports on FB. He had Geiser Bros (TT Builders) build his LOORRS legal cage. I'm doing something very similar....

Screenshot 20200212 192353 Samsung Internet 20200208 114740

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I pre-ordered a Hess steering quickener a month ago in preparation for my coming MX/GNCC build. I got a tracking # on Thursday and the parts showed up Friday afternoon. This thing is a work of art! It's almost a shame that half of it is hiding under the dash. Lol

Installation was simple enough: Remove hood and cowl, remove rubber boot around steering column, unplug the paddle shifter connector and pull wiring out towards steering wheel, remove the nut holding the tilt cylinder, remove the bolt holding the steering shaft to the P/S unit, remove the two pivot bolts holding the column in, remove the tilt cylinder bolt and pull the assembly out towards the dash. The column will have to be tilted 90° for the wide part to fit through, but other than that it comes apart pretty easy. Swap the steering shaft over to the Hess unit and reinstall in reverse order. Easy peasy.

There are no provisions on this unit to install the paddle shifters. You can run the machine in auto/sport mode without the paddles, or like I'm doing, buy an aftermarket steering wheel, a couple of 1" momentary buttons and a dual push to talk button plate and wire it up yourself. Hess is working on a plug and play shifter button setup similar to what I'm going to do, but as of now it's still in the testing stages. For testing I reinstalled my stock wheel. The new steering wheel, buttons and mounting plate I ordered will be here late next week.

After installing the quickener I took it for a short ride around the shop. It's a HUGE improvement over stock! It's going to make tree dodging, tight cornering and drifting much easier. IMO, this is going to be a must for anyone racing their Talons. I attached a picture below showing the wheel at full left lock. It's just about 3/8 of a turn from center, and 3/4 lock to lock.

I'll update this thread at a later date to let everyone know if the power steering unit is still happy being turned twice as fast as stock. Hess said they have not had any problems with their test units and I don't expect any problems with mine.

View attachment 190126 View attachment 190128 View attachment 190129 View attachment 190130
What is a steering quickener, and what’s the improvement with it? Thanks

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
What is a steering quickener, and what’s the improvement with it? Thanks

It speeds up the steering input and keeps you from having to cross over your hands for tight, full lock cornering. The box I bought is a 2-1 ratio. So instead of being 1.5 turns lock to lock it changes it to 3/4 turn lock to lock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Montecresto
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Almost done. Just need to put some of the body back together so I can bend up and install the door bars.

My exhaust should be here sometime next week, and I'm about to call Hess Motorsports to check on a rear mount radiator kit...

20200405 173912 20200405 191830 20200405 223230 20200405 152928

Reactions: 906UP
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got some more cage work done this weekend and started mocking up the door bars last night....

20200413 214504 20200413 214517 20200413 220324 20200413 214940

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anybody looking for a pair of Honda Racing aluminum doors?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!