Hey folks! Newbie from N/E Tennessee and fresh Pioneer 1000-5 owner.

dsandlin

dsandlin

Nov 20, 2018
Springville, Al
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hew folks, ACfixer (Lance) here, just bought a 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe in Honda red. I'm a California ex-pat now living in Jonesborough, Tennessee and I am ready to do some hunting a trail exploring in my new toy.

I mulled over side by sides for close to three years and finally decided on the Pioneer, hope made a good choice. Red wasn't my first choice but it's hard to be picky right now and I wanted to make the purchase. It was between red and white and eh.... Hondas are red right? It was a tough choice over the Polaris Ranger, in the end it was the ability to carry 4+ with a dump bed and a real transmission vs. the CVT. Again, I hope I made a good choice here.

Okay, enough of that... Other than the obvious stuff. I am a 58 year old Harley rider, a guitar hack, and a private pilot so that pretty much cover the stuff I like to do. Add to it a healthy love for the outdoors including fishing and hunting. I love my firearms collection, especially vintage stuff from the 40's-60's (my dad's era) and I love the vintage camping and fishing. AC in ACfixer stand for air conditioning, not aircraft although I do enjoy wrenching on the plane with a certified A/P watching over me.

That about covers it, let's talk about what I NEED for this thing!

1. Winch
2. Street legal stuff (signals, horn, mirrors)
3. You tell me!

Great to be here,
Lance

PS: I just want to make sure this is THE forum to be involved with. I am not a cheapskate and if it is I will become a contributor in a matter of days. Thanks!
View attachment 250398
Front a-arms, at least 30” tires and a mud buster fender flair kit and you’ll be ready!

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hew folks, ACfixer (Lance) here, just bought a 2021 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 deluxe in Honda red. I'm a California ex-pat now living in Jonesborough, Tennessee and I am ready to do some hunting a trail exploring in my new toy.

I mulled over side by sides for close to three years and finally decided on the Pioneer, hope made a good choice. Red wasn't my first choice but it's hard to be picky right now and I wanted to make the purchase. It was between red and white and eh.... Hondas are red right? It was a tough choice over the Polaris Ranger, in the end it was the ability to carry 4+ with a dump bed and a real transmission vs. the CVT. Again, I hope I made a good choice here.

Okay, enough of that... Other than the obvious stuff. I am a 58 year old Harley rider, a guitar hack, and a private pilot so that pretty much cover the stuff I like to do. Add to it a healthy love for the outdoors including fishing and hunting. I love my firearms collection, especially vintage stuff from the 40's-60's (my dad's era) and I love the vintage camping and fishing. AC in ACfixer stand for air conditioning, not aircraft although I do enjoy wrenching on the plane with a certified A/P watching over me.

1. Winch
3. You tell me!

Great to be here,
Lance

PS: I just want to make sure this is THE forum to be involved with. I am not a cheapskate and if it is I will become a contributor in a matter of days. Thanks!
View attachment 250398
I hunt deer and small game and ride on my farm in brush and found the brush busting front bumper handy. I also have a rearview mirror in cab that when mounted correctly (Mine wasn't at first) works well. (Would like the side mirrors but not sure they mount well with my windshield and concerned for them being brushed back in tight timber. The winch has come in hand and the overlap bed liner keeps dirt/sand from dirtying the rear seats. I got the Seizmik ICOS 2 gun holder for Christmas. That is a removeable holder for 2 Rifles with removable magazines (Fits others also) and you can add attachments for handguns that straps in with the seatbelt. it keeps the rifle handy and can be removed quickly for that occasional coyote. You can easily remove it from the pioneer and use it as a shooting rest and if not going to use it for the extra passenger. I also added the storage bag that straps to the roll cage over your head for miscellaneous things. There isn't much other storage easily accessible.

Reactions: Lady01 and ACfixer
J

John688

Oct 20, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 700-2

1. Winch
3. You tell me!

Great to be here,
Lance

View attachment 250398
Welcome from WV.
might want to get a 5000 # winch, and spare tire. I have my bad luck on side wall cuts, three in two trips. LOL
As far as street legal. If you at good with wiring you can buy things separately (horn, turn signals, side mirrors (both sides) or you can buy a kit for street legal. I think TN requires street (DOT) tires.

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome, I am just over the hill in Church Hill and we do a fair amount of riding around here.
Also a pilot, Keep my plane at KRVN so we may have run into each other. I have done about every mod to mine that you can imagine other than a gear reduction so if you want to take a look we can set that up.
Spearhead Has two trails real close to here for good quick rides and Tackett is great for a serious ride.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
-LED headlight conversion (unless you already have the LED system)
-switch plate (for accessories) switches
-backup lighting
-door hinge busings to keep the doors from rattling (RB3 Replacement Door Bushings)
-supplemental forward lighing (pod lights/light bar)
-3" lift and 28-30" tires (I am still working on the larger tires (i used: (https://www.roughcountry.com/honda-....html?find=2019-honda-pioneer-1000-4wd-740058) but there are others)
-cabin comfort heat fix (Heat Shield Kit Honda Pioneer 1000 | DEI PowersportsDEI Powersports Honda Pioneer Heat Shield Kit)
-shifter covers to keep unanted air coming through...and take the time to put some sound deadening (Home Depot self stick frost king - and use a good adehesive in addiditon (this is the best on the market (Spray Adhesive)) to your engine compartment
-add tractor interior material to your hard top (Tractor Interior Upholstery LLC | Cab Kits | Tractor Headliners | Post Covers | Acoustical Foam) use the adhesive listed above really helps with keeping the noise from refelcing off the interior roof and helps insulate in the heat AND cold michigan temps.
-cabin heater if you use your machine in the cold weather and want a little protection from the elements.
-add 1/2" square foam to your doors using the adhesive listed above (especially if you have an enclosure helps with the dust
-sound system
-custom winch leader and key chain (Products | Winchleader)

I too like the transmission rather the the belt/CVT system.

Enjoy your machine!

Reactions: ACfixer and Mudwing
L

levykm

Oct 25, 2019
Knoxville, TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Knoxville, TN! I regularly run a P700-4 at Windrock and Ride Royal Blue and can second(third and fourth) the need for an aftermarket full coverage skid plate as your first priority in this area. (PM for link)

Next necessity is a spare tire. The rocks hear love to poke holes in the sidewalls. I've put tubes in after I got tired of full replacements.

I've opted for a minimal half windshield to knock down the breeze, but not obstruct the view when inevitably dirty.

A big light bar has been appreciated on a few night rides (July 4 view atop Windrock is fun).

I made it street legal too, for personal local convenience. Only a center and one side mirror are legally required. Save the 2nd side mirror in the kit for the inevitable loss of the first to a tree branch.

I've had a winch and mount sitting on the shop floor for over a year and still haven't been movitated to hook it up.

RussEthr1

RussEthr1

Jan 6, 2021
Louisville Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Illinois. I'm new here myself.

I just installed turn signal kit to make my 1000-5 street legal. I ordered it from TurnPro Signals. Great kit. Easy to install and cheaper than about anywhere else. Plus they build the kit in Indiana the day you order so no shortages from China.

You will need a winch at some point so make that a priority. Just got back from a 125 mile loop in 20 degrees so the heater, half doors and rear window are nice additions also. I think there was 16 rigs on the ride. 2 Can Ams, 1 was that "P" word, and the rest were all Honda!

I think we are going to Ride Royal Blue in April. Never been. Good luck with your ride!

Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey welcome. I’m new here too. As a matter of fact my machine hasn’t even come in yet. We are next in line for a pioneer 1000-5 LE. Should be very soon and I’ve gotten some advice from members regarding accessories which I have a bunch of just waiting for the machine. We can’t wait to get it!
again, welcome
Jeff

Sted1201

Sted1201

Jan 4, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome. Stating that you hunt, get a led light bar for top of windshield, 54”. This position has better performance than hood mount. Lights on the back for backing and loading deer. Glass windshield and back windshield for dust control and cold weather. Smart choice with the Honda. I have had 3 Polaris rangers and all 3 had major mechanical problems a lot. Had a Kawasaki mule and a EZ-Go. Honda is definitely the best for heavy farm use and hunting

AFDF2725 3AE7 45D5 8D2F CD6E98FEB4F3

Jaybee1013

Jaybee1013

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We bought the plug and play turn signal kit with the horn. I think it’s from Corbin Custom Works? Cost a little more but no wire cutting. We got side and inside rear view mirrors. Warn 4500 synthetic cable winch. getting the roof and windshield done at the dealer. I’ll do the dual batteries myself. We are just ready to have it already! Also a 52 “ light bar and dual pods for the rear.

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Side mirrors are critical IMHO. Seizmik break away mirrors are a little costly, but they are the best I've seen (yes, I have them on my Honda 1000). You'd have to ask someone else about the rear skid plate. I think the material the skid plate is made out of is important. I know they use a plastic that is supposed to take a beating. BTW, make sure you have a fire extinguisher.

You should have some excellent country to explore in Tenn.

Being in e

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Winch and a real skid plate is a must. Especially in Tennessee.
WELCOME FROM STRAWBERRY PLAINS, TN!

I would install the winch, then Back up lights ( from our store here), mirrors followed by the street legal "stuff" if you are so inclined. The rest may or will require a second battery but that is far down the road. However, check out Robert Sparre's video for electrical upgrades and I can always help you invest vast sums of pesos into your new hobby!!

R

RickM

Jan 19, 2017
Moved from Chelsea, AL, to Bigfork, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome. Before you even start to accessorize I suggest finding an alignment shop and have them check the front end alignment. Unless Honda has changed their policy, which I doubt they have, most Pioneers are delivered with front ends severely misaligned. Mine, a 2016 model, was out a total of 3”. Wore out a front tire in 250 miles and also caused some extreme handling issues. Honda’s response was that they weren’t designed to be ridden on pavement. Not the kind of response I would hope to get from Honda since that’s a pretty poor response for a real issue. There are other posts on this forum regarding the alignment issues. Enjoy the new ride.

Reactions: Lady01
ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hunt deer and small game and ride on my farm in brush and found the brush busting front bumper handy. I also have a rearview mirror in cab that when mounted correctly (Mine wasn't at first) works well. (Would like the side mirrors but not sure they mount well with my windshield and concerned for them being brushed back in tight timber. The winch has come in hand and the overlap bed liner keeps dirt/sand from dirtying the rear seats. I got the Seizmik ICOS 2 gun holder for Christmas. That is a removeable holder for 2 Rifles with removable magazines (Fits others also) and you can add attachments for handguns that straps in with the seatbelt. it keeps the rifle handy and can be removed quickly for that occasional coyote. You can easily remove it from the pioneer and use it as a shooting rest and if not going to use it for the extra passenger. I also added the storage bag that straps to the roll cage over your head for miscellaneous things. There isn't much other storage easily accessible.

Nice! I was looking at that rifle holder, thanks for the review!

I've seen overhead rifle holders, but the time it take to get the gun out I'm guess that coyote is long gone.

Last edited:
ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome, I am just over the hill in Church Hill and we do a fair amount of riding around here.
Also a pilot, Keep my plane at KRVN so we may have run into each other. I have done about every mod to mine that you can imagine other than a gear reduction so if you want to take a look we can set that up.
Spearhead Has two trails real close to here for good quick rides and Tackett is great for a serious ride.

Talk to me neighbor! I put in an offer in Church Hill but missed about a year and a half ago. My plane is still in California, going out there in the next month to grab it... was going to keep it at TRI but I kinda hate the big airport BS, I love the good ol' boy places. Any hangers available at KRVN? I'm going to miss owning my own hanger. :(

ACfixer

ACfixer

Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
THANK YOU everyone for the suggestions. We'll see how much money I have left over after the Knoxville gun show this weekend. :D I'll start ordering from the club store Monday.

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Talk to me neighbor! I put in an offer in Church Hill but missed about a year and a half ago. My plane is still in California, going out there in the next month to grab it... was going to keep it at TRI but I kinda hate the big airport BS, I love the good ol' boy places. Any hangers available at KRVN? I'm going to miss owning my own hanger. :(
There isn’t anything at RVN right now other than maybe a space in the big hangar. They are hard to come by around here. Morristown is building more I heard, and get on the list at Greeneville.
let me know when your ready to take a ride or go fly, we need to meet up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!