P1000 High speed and overheating

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am working on a 2016 pioneer 1000-3. When running for long periods of time (about 10 miles) at 55mph, it will get up to 3 bars. Originally he brought it to me and it got hot and boiled over. I filled with coolant, bled it and did the burp method. Since I did that it will get up to 3 bars about 3/4 through the high speed trip. It's running around 6500rpm. Is that the nature of the beast or am I missing something? I figured honda developed their machine to run hard all the time.

YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am working on a 2016 pioneer 1000-3. When running for long periods of time (about 10 miles) at 55mph, it will get up to 3 bars. Originally he brought it to me and it got hot and boiled over. I filled with coolant, bled it and did the burp method. Since I did that it will get up to 3 bars about 3/4 through the high speed trip. It's running around 6500rpm. Is that the nature of the beast or am I missing something? I figured honda developed their machine to run hard all the time.
Running 6500rpm's for mile after mile will make the temp climb on any sxs no matter what brand. If it's not puking or the temp light isn't coming on then it's fine, just running a little hotter than puttering around.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Running 6500rpm's for mile after mile will make the temp climb on any sxs no matter what brand. If it's not puking or the temp light isn't coming on then it's fine, just running a little hotter than puttering around.
Nope. I run mine at WOT for 10 miles at a time in August, south Louisiana 118 degree heat index. Full windshield punching through the air. Never got up to 3 bars even after coming to a stop and idling for a couple mins. Look somewhere else like a partially clogged radiator or faulty radiator cap or more air still trapped in the system. What's the elevation where you ride? Less air density at high elevation could possibly lead to a lack of efficient cooling.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does the owner ride mud a lot? Even if he doesn't might try cleaning the radiator fins, with HVAC cleaner coil cleaner , it's unbelievable what comes out of condenser coils using this stuff.

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did wash the radiator out. There wasn't much in it. I did pressure check the radiator cap and it held 15psi for 30 sec. The manual says if it holds pressure for longer than 6 sec, its good. He doesn't ride in mud. We are from southeast Missouri. Not sure our elevation is.

Reactions: Biteme
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did wash the radiator out. There wasn't much in it. I did pressure check the radiator cap and it held 15psi for 30 sec. The manual says if it holds pressure for longer than 6 sec, its good. He doesn't ride in mud. We are from southeast Missouri. Not sure our elevation is.
I would still try the HVAC coil cleaner, been wanting to do ours, just keep forgetting.

MuskyHunter

MuskyHunter

Sep 2, 2020
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know there was a recall on the 2018's because the radiator fan wasn't coming on as often as it should.
The speed of the air coming through the radiator at 55 would surpas the stock cooling fan I would think.

could the timing be too far advanced?

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Is the fuel a high ethanol blend? I know small engines, like a lawnmower can burn up from high ethanol. No idea on a 1K, just a thought.

M

morganzamud

Aug 17, 2020
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The speed of the air coming through the radiator at 55 would surpas the stock cooling fan I would think.

could the timing be too far advanced?
My son in law's 2018 was overheating and he thought the same thing about running it at speed to get some air moving thru it. Didn't work. He cleaned the radiator also. No help. That's how I knew about the recall. Before he brought it in his fan seldom ran. Now it kicks in fairly often. May not be your problem just my experience.

R

rickoshea

when i'm running around at high speed/rpm's with my tracks on in the snow and sub zero weather i'm almost always at 3 bars at least and even boiled over once,and there was no snow packed in the rad.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It seems like the 1000 has a marginal cooling system. The real fix may be this...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It seems like the 1000 has a marginal cooling system. The real fix may be this...

think that thing draws @12 amps

@joeymt33 can chime in he has one. It’s an impressive rad.

Reactions: duramaxman05
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My son in law's 2018 was overheating and he thought the same thing about running it at speed to get some air moving thru it. Didn't work. He cleaned the radiator also. No help. That's how I knew about the recall. Before he brought it in his fan seldom ran. Now it kicks in fairly often. May not be your problem just my experience.

16’ didn’t have the issue

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

There have been a couple of machines that for whatever reason would overheat on long high speed runs. EVERYTIME. One member tried everything from new radiator, new fan, no thermostat, better fitting shroud, new cap, burped, the TCP radiator was the only thing that helped. It was weird.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I think we should start a over heat thread where everyone one that have a over heating issue post there last three digits of there PCM

When my family was in CO out of three Pioneer's my brothers was the only one to over heat and he had a fan override switch with the fan running all the time.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've regularly do a 52 mile round trip to a local bar with mine and at times I'm 60 ish mph for 10ish miles of the trip and never have had this as an issue. I've boiled over before the ecm update but not since and when boiled over it was always slow technical trails never at speed. It sounds like an air flow issue. If moving forward at high speed I wouldn't think that we need the fan to generate air flow.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!