JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello to all,

Honda pioneer 1000-5 2017

Went out for a ride last weekend, bike ran good all day 6-7 plus hours. Got dark and started to head home. Bike ran hot, warning light came on, but I didn’t hear the fan running. Let it sit for an hour or so to cook off and drive it the last half mile to the house, stayed at 2 bars on temp…..Checked fuses today everything seems good.

Got to thinking once it got dark I turned all my lights on (light whips, interior lights, front cubes) and it over heated.

Is it possible I was drawing to much power and the fan wasn’t turning at full speed? Or maybe not at all due to a relay or something?

Not running a dual battery setup, I’ve bought one this past week and want to put it on but want to isolate this fan issue…..I haven’t ran the bike yet to let idle and see if fan comes on…wanted to get some more heads in the game and see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JenElio
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello to all,

Honda pioneer 1000-5 2017

Went out for a ride last weekend, bike ran good all day 6-7 plus hours. Got dark and started to head home. Bike ran hot, warning light came on, but I didn’t hear the fan running. Let it sit for an hour or so to cook off and drive it the last half mile to the house, stayed at 2 bars on temp…..Checked fuses today everything seems good.

Got to thinking once it got dark I turned all my lights on (light whips, interior lights, front cubes) and it over heated.

Is it possible I was drawing to much power and the fan wasn’t turning at full speed? Or maybe not at all due to a relay or something?

Not running a dual battery setup, I’ve bought one this past week and want to put it on but want to isolate this fan issue…..I haven’t ran the bike yet to let idle and see if fan comes on…wanted to get some more heads in the game and see what everyone’s thoughts are.

Any help is appreciated.

Just to check off the basics, did you check to make sure radiator isn't/wasn't clogged? Or fan? The only time I overheated it was cause I had a clump of mud holding the fan from spinning, it was hard to see and luckily it didn't burn up my fan.

There is a possibility you were drawing too much amperage and fan didn't kick on, a good insurance sometimes is installing the fan override switch from the club store. Definitely a volt meter too

Reactions: Remington and Scoop
JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to check off the basics, did you check to make sure radiator isn't/wasn't clogged? Or fan? The only time I overheated it was cause I had a clump of mud holding the fan from spinning, it was hard to see and luckily it didn't burn up my fan.

There is a possibility you were drawing too much amperage and fan didn't kick on, a good insurance sometimes is installing the fan override switch from the club store. Definitely a volt meter too

Fan and radiator are clean, was more trail than mud hole.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Fan and radiator are clean, was more trail than mud hole.

Could've just been that the fan didn't kick on for no reason, some of the earlier models had that sometimes. Some people say it helps when you turn on the buggy to turn the key all the way instead of pausing for fuel pump to kick on them start it, just start it from the first go. I'd make sure the fan runs though first, could be a bad motor never know. You can block the radiator for a faster warm up and it should kick on fairly quick. I'm not sure how many lights you're running or what they draw but although it's always a possibility I doubt it was a voltage thing (you would've noticed it otherwise......I think)

Reactions: Scoop
JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could've just been that the fan didn't kick on for no reason, some of the earlier models had that sometimes. Some people say it helps when you turn on the buggy to turn the key all the way instead of pausing for fuel pump to kick on them start it, just start it from the first go. I'd make sure the fan runs though first, could be a bad motor never know. You can block the radiator for a faster warm up and it should kick on fairly quick. I'm not sure how many lights you're running or what they draw but although it's always a possibility I doubt it was a voltage thing (you would've noticed it otherwise......I think)

I did notice my volt gauge drop from 14.2 to 13.4 when light were on then noticed I went from 2 bar to 3 and then 4 with warning light.

Good point on the key I do delay and then start.

Currently bike is idling and holding 2 bars but no fan yet…

Reactions: Hawk53
JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did notice my volt gauge drop from 14.2 to 13.4 when light were on then noticed I went from 2 bar to 3 and then 4 with warning light.

Fan just kicked on ran for 15-20 seconds and shut off….

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

That's not much of a voltage drop though, might've just been one of them weird times the fan glitched 🤷‍♂️

Have you changed your antifreeze recently? they're also know for getting air pockets in the system sometimes too.

Reactions: Remington and Scoop
JRN88tion

JRN88tion

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's not much of a voltage drop though, might've just been one of them weird times the fan glitched

Have you changed your antifreeze recently? they're also know for getting air pockets in the system sometimes too.

I recently had it serviced…that happened to me when I first got the bike had an air pocket. I winched the bike up and let it burp out. But I had them change every fluid in the bike and a full service in peepers room for this ride which ultimately got cut short but is what it is. Definitely want to get the over ride switch for the fan.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Or was it to ensure you turned the key on, waited for the pump, and then crank to avoid fan issues ?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Or was it to ensure you turned the key on, waited for the pump, and then crank to avoid fan issues ?
Both work. Straight to start or key on and let it do everything it's gonna, then start. It seems to be starting the machine in the middle of that cycle that causes the issue.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Both work. Straight to start or key on and let it do everything it's gonna, then start. It seems to be starting the machine in the middle of that cycle that causes the issue.
Im confused! Sounds like he has a bike then your talking about the machine! 🤯🤣🥳

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How do you start the machine in the middle of that cycle? It's not going to start until it is cranking. I am not understanding something here.??

Reactions: Smitty335
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
How do you start the machine in the middle of that cycle? It's not going to start until it is cranking. I am not understanding something here.??
The only thing I can tell you is straight to start or wait for the cycle and them start. I'm too dumb to explain anything in depth. I just know straight to start works for me. I've never updated my machine and it's never happened since 2018.

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only thing I can tell you is straight to start or wait for the cycle and them start. I'm too dumb to explain anything in depth. I just know straight to start works for me. I've never updated my machine and it's never happened since 2018.
What he is saying is, turn the key right to START without waiting for the gauges to go through the initial cycling of the display and fuel pump to stop running, or turn the key to ACC then wait until the gauges are done and full pump stops then turn the key to START.

Reactions: Smitty335
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't know if you have had the ECM updated but there was some problem with the 2018's and earlier not turning on the fan. My 2018 did it to me twice but I noticed it early and turned it off then back on and the fan would work like it should. My father in law has a 2018 as well and his did it bad enough that it boiled out of the over flow bottle. We both got the ECM reflashed and it fixed our problems. Might be worth checking. and some say it helped out with smoother shifting and I can hear the fan kick on more often. I'll attach the service bulletins.

Honda 279251ef3ec665bf07a2cb352ba3a465 5a14a74a831664c1f0897a2d19a0c85a 889c753e65ac9993f421d0c32c7c59ff

Reactions: CID
H

HondaTech

Don't know if you have had the ECM updated but there was some problem with the 2018's and earlier not turning on the fan. My 2018 did it to me twice but I noticed it early and turned it off then back on and the fan would work like it should. My father in law has a 2018 as well and his did it bad enough that it boiled out of the over flow bottle. We both got the ECM reflashed and it fixed our problems. Might be worth checking. and some say it helped out with smoother shifting and I can hear the fan kick on more often. I'll attach the service bulletins.

View attachment 385979 View attachment 385980 View attachment 385981 View attachment 385982

Send me your VIN, and I'll run it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!