P1000 Clutches overheating

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Haha
I wish they made a DCT in a sled and made it work somehow. Im tired of going through belts. They just go out of the Blue with little warning. The trail (snow) is littered with torn belts every few miles u see one.
On a sled your usually 100 or more miles from camp when it happens. You get your spare out then its pucker factor the rest of the ride and back cuz that's your only one left and you dont know with it setting, how well that last belt will hold up. Its a Erie feeling on the ride back.
I use my Yamaha almost every day on my property.

I have owned it for 2 years now, I have never even checked the belt yet. Works flawlessly.

I come across big rocks all the time. I just put my wheel up against them and just apply throttle and creep right over them. I don't have to worry what gear I am in. No weird noises or problems. I think Yamaha did it right.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I have owned for 2 years now, I have never even checked the belt yet. Works flawlessly.

I come across big rocks all the time. I just put my wheel up against them and just apply throttle and creep right over them. I don't have to worry what gear I am in. No weird noises or problems. I think Yamaha did it right.
They use too with sleds too. I really liked them. I almost thought of getting one this time over my Ski doo’s (Canned Ham’s) glad I didnt cuz Now Yami is getting out of one of the biggist recreation markets theyve had a foot hold in before christ was conceived lol. I loved my Banshee when I had one.

Nothing really wrong with bet drive. I just have my fill of them all winter long. We ride at 35+ mph on our trails up here, the noise and the higher speeds are prone to more belt snaps. Seen one last weekend on a poo poo sitting on trail.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And, go buy a Yamaha.

I have owned it for 2 years now, I have never even checked the belt yet. Works flawlessly.

You gotta be a Bud Light drinker.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They use too with sleds too. I really liked them. I almost thought of getting one this time over my Ski doo’s (Canned Ham’s) glad I didnt cuz Now Yami is getting out of one of the biggist recreation markets theyve had a foot hold in before christ was conceived lol. I loved my Banshee when I had one.

Nothing really wrong with bet drive. I just have my fill of them all winter long. We ride at 35+ mph on our trails up here, the noise and the higher speeds are prone to more belt snaps. Seen one last weekend on a poo poo sitting on trail.
Wife and I have been snowmobiling since mid '90s. Started out with Arctic Cats. Lots of clutch, belt, and drive chain troubles too numerous to mention. After about 4 years of trouble with AC's switched to Skidoos... end of trouble period.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I have a Yamaha Grizzly ATV that I use regularly on my property.
I also have a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 that gets used just as often.
I have owned my Yamaha for nearly 10 years now. I have never even checked the belt yet. Works flawlessly.
I have owned my Honda for 2 years now. I don't need to check a belt on it. Works flawlessly.
Same goes for both my Yamaha and my Pioneer. Obviously, the Grizzly doesn't have "gears", and my Pioneer's DCT always seems to be in exactly the right gear. No weird noises or problems out of either one. I think both Yamaha and Honda did it right.

Bottom line, both my Yamaha and Honda are flawless thus far, and I would not trade or get rid of either one.

Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge vs whatever you drive -- as long as they treat you well, you will rely on them. That's my $0.02.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wife and I have been snowmobiling since mid '90s. Started out with Arctic CRAPS. Lots of clutch, belt, and drive chain troubles too numerous to mention. After about 4 years of trouble with AC's switched to Skidoos... end of trouble period.
Fixe it for ya! 🤣
We had a 2 up AC same issues. There a POS

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Yes... Yamaha DID do it right!. They are the only brand that uses a wet clutch to engage the drive cone. The belt never performs the function of a clutch like all the other brands. It stays fully engaged, even at a dead stop, so it never slips and never burns up. In fact, the Yamaha's come with a 10 year belt warranty!

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes... Yamaha DID do it right!. They are the only brand that uses a wet clutch to engage the drive cone. The belt never performs the function of a clutch like all the other brands. It stays fully engaged, even at a dead stop, so it never slips and never burns up. In fact, the Yamaha's come with a 10 year belt warranty!
It does seem to be an advantage in the rough stuff as well. Where it's disadvantage shows is just driving paved roads, the engine RPM is a bit annoying. But one of the reasons I picked the smaller Wolverine is the fact that the engine note is noticably quieter than the bigger RMAX.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fixe it for ya! 🤣
We had a 2 up AC same issues. There a POS
We had 500 Panteras, 2 of them. 2 POS's. Ended up giving them away. Felt bad for who got them. Lol. A friend also got a couple ACrap atvs late 90 models. They were worse yet. By then we were on Honda 300 Fourtrax's. Only time the tool kit came out was to let the friend use it with the ACrap.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We had 500 Panteras, 2 of them. 2 POS's. Ended up giving them away. Felt bad for who got them. Lol. A friend also got a couple ACrap atvs late 90 models. They were worse yet. By then we were on Honda 300 Fourtrax's. Only time the tool kit came out was to let the friend use it with the ACrap.
Have a few friends with AC utv’s and there Crap too! Always braking down. They make a Poo Poo look like a Maserati

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So this has happened again, in low range putting around after about a hour maybe a little longer. I noticed this time however even if I was moving no MPH showed on the dash. I searched and found were someone was saying the ecm under the driver seat was overheating. But it does not seem many people are having this issue and the ones that did it was for 2017-2019 years. Anyone else having this problem? Called the dealership and am going to take it in, but going to see if I can get a video of it doing it again as proof.

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update:
Been at the shop for just over a week, called was told they could not replicate the problem. Was told I can come pick it up. Or leave it and they will drive it around some more to see if it happens.

This weekend I will be at the same place where it happened last time. So I know it is going to happen again, I will record it so I can take it and show them even though I explained exactly what it was doing. I dont think they are riding it long enough maybe, or because where the dealership is there is mostly road so its not the same environment. Will update after this weekend.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haven't checked, original battery but just over a year old now.
My original battery didn't last a year. Kept it up with trickle charger etc. The problem occurred due to how the batteries were treated by Honda during the parts shipping debacle when they had the partially finished machines waiting for parts. Lead acid batteries need to be charged at least every 6 months when stored in good conditions. If left sitting, especially when it's warmer, the plates can sulphate and reduce battery remaining life.

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My original battery didn't last a year. Kept it up with trickle charger etc. The problem occurred due to how the batteries were treated by Honda during the parts shipping debacle when they had the partially finished machines waiting for parts. Lead acid batteries need to be charged at least every 6 months when stored in good conditions. If left sitting, especially when it's warmer, the plates can sulphate and reduce battery remaining life.
Thanks for the info. I will take the battery to have it tested.

Reactions: Smitty335
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the info. I will take the battery to have it tested.
Update:
Been at the shop for just over a week, called was told they could not replicate the problem. Was told I can come pick it up. Or leave it and they will drive it around some more to see if it happens.

This weekend I will be at the same place where it happened last time. So I know it is going to happen again, I will record it so I can take it and show them even though I explained exactly what it was doing. I dont think they are riding it long enough maybe, or because where the dealership is there is mostly road so its not the same environment. Will update after this weekend.
I am thinking you don't have any issues - machine isn't overheating, etc., from your description, simply working the machine hard in the sand, oil got hot, oil warning light came on, etc.. - if that happens again, let machine idle as it wants to pump the oil thru the coolest to get back temp back down.

It is running fine in the last couple of months since your last post in April or something?

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am thinking you don't have any issues - machine isn't overheating, etc., from your description, simply working the machine hard in the sand, oil got hot, oil warning light came on, etc.. - if that happens again, let machine idle as it wants to pump the oil thru the coolest to get back temp back down.

It is running fine in the last couple of months since your last post in April or something?
Haven't been riding it too much. This last time I wasnt going through mud or anything. Just putting around the property.

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Furthermore if the little bit of mud i do go through is what is affecting it i dont know how you all are riding in the mountain trails.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!