P1000 COPS tune , Overheating kit, Ban

jumpmaster

jumpmaster

Mar 13, 2021
Tomah, Wisconsin
I recently decided to dive into overheating problem. I decided first to put 4S1 UTV tracks and we run about 2-3 hours , 20-45 mph in about 2 feet snow. No issues , 2 bars on the dash. I posted it on Hodna Pioneer riders FB (adults only) , and Zach Morris told me that 2 bars is only guess and Im running hot and only tune can fix it.

I did not want to tune but rather try their overheat kit (high flow thermostat and 1.4 bar cap). I inquired FB store and Morris and got response that loyal customers who bought tunes can buy them now , and they dont sell kit separately anymore since they have no gain on them.

Well I looked through videos with their thermostat and my search yielded Jegs 170 that they modify to fit. JEGS 53238: High-Flow 170 degree Thermostat [Universal] | JEGS

I posted that 85$ kit and 15 $ shipping its overkill but most of all they push u into paying 800$ for tune and then u can buy this kit for discount of 60$

I decided to make my own thermostat kit and looked up some russian forums on honda bikes and found I think direct replacement (still in progress getting it to USA).

For my questions I was called asshole and banned :). As I told Morris that manners as important as education.

Now I need to ask who has stock thermostat can you measure overall length in mm, diameters of small and big flanges????

Thank you!

PS. He is selling now OEM thermo with Jegs and cap for 85$ . Not sure why to buy all of this if Jegs thermo is 7$ and cap is 15$ on Ebay or other stores.

View attachment 266626 View attachment 266627 View attachment 266628 View attachment 266629 View attachment 266630

Zack banned me when I made a joke about the cost of their tunes. Big baby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 Bars might seem like the engine is *FINE* but if you looked at your Truck car temp gauge and saw anything north of 190 you'd be thinking its running hot. The factory temp gauge runs about like a GM Gauge 210 on the dash could mean 160-230 degrees. These machines could definitely use some help in the cooling dept, cant knock a guy for trying to fix a problem. Looks like a Honda CBR Thermostat is $42 and a cap is $26 via Partzilla, $60 doesn't seem to be out of line for the cops "kit" and thats free shipping.... Personally Ive only overheated once, was not even a hot enough day in my opinion but I didn't hear the fan going. I let the machine idle for 5 minutes or so after the ride and turned it off, as soon as I did I heard it boiling. Thought it was weird and started the machine back up and sure enough it was at 4 bars and the fan was on as soon as I started it and didn't shut off for at least 10 minutes of idling. The fan shroud isn't much of a shroud at all, it pulls more air around the edges of the "shroud" then it pulls through the radiator. The machines running lean from the factory isn't helping much either. Any tune you get will lower the fan cut on speed so it comes on sooner and is running at a much better afr and overall the seat temps are cooler.

Just FYI........

Low Cool - 1 Bar means 0-139 F
2 Bar means 140-242 F
3 Bar means 243-264 F
4 Bar Above 265 F

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 Bars might seem like the engine is *FINE* but if you looked at your Truck car temp gauge and saw anything north of 190 you'd be thinking its running hot. The factory temp gauge runs about like a GM Gauge 210 on the dash could mean 160-230 degrees. These machines could definitely use some help in the cooling dept, cant knock a guy for trying to fix a problem. Looks like a Honda CBR Thermostat is $42 and a cap is $26 via Partzilla, $60 doesn't seem to be out of line for the cops "kit" and thats free shipping.... Personally Ive only overheated once, was not even a hot enough day in my opinion but I didn't hear the fan going. I let the machine idle for 5 minutes or so after the ride and turned it off, as soon as I did I heard it boiling. Thought it was weird and started the machine back up and sure enough it was at 4 bars and the fan was on as soon as I started it and didn't shut off for at least 10 minutes of idling. The fan shroud isn't much of a shroud at all, it pulls more air around the edges of the "shroud" then it pulls through the radiator. The machines running lean from the factory isn't helping much either. Any tune you get will lower the fan cut on speed so it comes on sooner and is running at a much better afr and overall the seat temps are cooler.

Just FYI........

Low Cool - 1 Bar means 0-139 F
2 Bar means 140-242 F
3 Bar means 243-264 F
4 Bar Above 265 F
Your points would be valid if we were talking 1970’s vehicles...the truth is that nearly all modern vehicles run much hotter....like 195F to 225F...by design!

Oils have come a long way etc. heck even your standard Ford 6.7l diesel cooling fan won’t 100% lock until the Coolant reaches 250F under full load.

Even modern Transmissions run much hotter than the past. They carry thermostats now days by design. Not uncommon to see 180f to 220f in a modern Transmission as well.

The point is I’m steering towards is that modern oils and coolants are far superior to even 10 years ago......and that your Honda wasn’t designed and built in a vacuum.

The idea that someone with a computer and a scan tool selling a mystery program for $$$$$$ is going to solve a problem vs the teams of idiot engineers at Honda is laughable at best.

If your truly worried about overheating, the fan override plug is a simple cheap option that works.

I spent way too much time tuning diesels back in the day ....super easy to spot snake oil tunes a mile away and the lame bs by the creators mostly trying to fleece their customers as pointed out by the OP.

Don’t take my comments to indicate that I believe the size of the cooling system is adequate....I agree that it could be larger in capacity and fan flow.

My comments are directed to your comments on temperature of what is too hot.

Last edited:
Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tuning most definitely takes out some of the heat created by the lean fuel mixture, The engine runs at 250f Oil temp at highway speeds which isn't bad (Might be different for a stock machine, I have IGR) Rotella T6 Oil claims to protect upto 320f Degrees (The oil I run personally). There was a OEM Tuning engineer that looked at the Honda tuning maps and said there is plenty of room for improvement although He couldn't comment on the transmission side, he wasn't familiar enough with it. Its tuned for emissions vs engine longevity. The honda engineers are oblivious that there is a problem, anyone who runs there machine harder then riding around on dirt roads or around town will face a overheating issue for $60 I will pay to never experience it and enjoy the seat temps being lower also.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The tuning most definitely takes out some of the heat created by the lean fuel mixture, The engine runs at 250f Oil temp at highway speeds which isn't bad (Might be different for a stock machine, I have IGR) Rotella T6 Oil claims to protect upto 320f Degrees (The oil I run personally). There was a OEM Tuning engineer that looked at the Honda tuning maps and said there is plenty of room for improvement although He couldn't comment on the transmission side, he wasn't familiar enough with it. Its tuned for emissions vs engine longevity. The honda engineers are oblivious that there is a problem, anyone who runs there machine harder then riding around on dirt roads or around town will face a overheating issue for $60 I will pay to never experience it and enjoy the seat temps being lower also.
Are u sure it's 40$ honda cbr thermostat he modifies and resell? Part number?

He is not selling kit alone, they force u to buy tune . And still now after I started this topic and he banned me he throw unfinished replacement thermo with stock for 85$. His manners need big improvement too

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reading the repetitive posts on COPS poor customer service and childish behavior is a little comical and a little frustrating. Based on what a tune did to my dirt bike it is high on the list of purchases but there just are not too many options out there. COPS is out since I don't want to deal with a company like that, from what I have heard Florida Cracker are not tuned for altitude which leaves Hess, and I really can't find much info about Hess.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reading the repetitive posts on COPS poor customer service and childish behavior is a little comical and a little frustrating. Based on what a tune did to my dirt bike it is high on the list of purchases but there just are not too many options out there. COPS is out since I don't want to deal with a company like that, from what I have heard Florida Cracker are not tuned for altitude which leaves Hess, and I really can't find much info about Hess.
Im interested to find out abut Hess too, anyone?

Reactions: Lady01
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting, what issue does Florida Cracker have at altitude? I would assume like any efi systems it would adjust as you go up or down. I just sent him an email questioning this as I’ll be using mine in CO a bunch.

Last edited:
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting, what issue does Florida Cracker have at altitude? I would assume like any efi systems it would adjust as you go up or down. I just sent him an email questioning this as I’ll be using mine in CO a bunch.
To be honest I really haven't figured out what the issue is at altitude, that is just what I heard. They are one of those businesses that are pretty much only on facebook, haven't been able to find a website or phone number to call.

I would also assume it will adjust fuel flow for thinner air, but don't know if what I heard was a facebook rumor or actual information, but right now that is all I have to go off of, right or wrong. Theoretically if it isn't tuned for altitude it should just get richer the higher you go, which should mess up a plug but not the engine, but not willing to risk my engine.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Probley nothing..
They are assuming since he is from FL...
That there is no way he knows how to tune for anything over 100ft elevation.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Probley nothing..
They are assuming since he is from FL...
That there is no way he knows how to tune for anything over 100ft elevation.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Agree, but would be nice to get some other info before I throw down a chunk of change for something that might not work.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree, but would be nice to get some other info before I throw down a chunk of change for something that might not work.
From Scott:

No the tune should adjust its self at whatever altitude you’re at. The ECU has multipliers that help adjust for different altitudes. I’m pretty much sea level and i haven’t so far heard of anyone having issues at higher altitudes.

This is like thinking a vehicle built in GA won’t work at altitude, the ECM does all the adjusting.

Here is Scott’s email if you want to discuss his tune, great customer service [email protected]

Last edited:
B

bldmtnrider

Jan 8, 2021
Longmont, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From Scott:

No the tune should adjust its self at whatever altitude you’re at. The ECU has multipliers that help adjust for different altitudes. I’m pretty much sea level and i haven’t so far heard of anyone having issues at higher altitudes.

This is like thinking a vehicle built in GA won’t work at altitude, the ECM does all the adjusting.

Here is Scott’s email if you want to discuss his tune, great customer service [email protected]
That is what I figured. Still somewhat new to these machines. How are they adjusting fuel, MAF, MAP or o2 sensors? If o2, do the tunes delete the o2 sensors?
Still interested in what HESS has to offer but can’t find much info.
Didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!