P1000 Clutches overheating

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I went on 2ish hour ride. Lots of sugar sand so I had machine in 2wd and low for most of the ride. I noticed I started to bog down in some towards the end of the ride and switched to 4wd just to get through the sand then maybe 10 feet was on the road and took it back out of 4wd and into turf. A little bit after this just cruising down a hard packed trail next to the canal in low because I'm not going fast it suddenly seems like I am in neutral. I notice my warning light is on. After a second the machine starts moving and I go maybe 100ft to get off the trail and shut it down and let it cool for about 5 minutes then start it up and its fine. Was I doing something wrong? I am in swfl and it is hot. So hopefully the clutches are OK. First time I've had this light on and thought I should be in low when riding like this. I was only in 4wd for maybe 20 feet total. I did notice when I put it in 4wd to get out of the sand it was shifting kinda weird. So maybe just the hot weather?
has it been fine since?

I thought if u get the warning lite - stop - let it idle and let the oil pump around to cool the oil

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with you. Sugar sand is like running a boat in water, getting up on top and planing takes less power than plowing through it. The only thing I’d change is keep it in 4wd if the sand is that deep.

IMO sounds like you did nothing wrong, if you were going fast enough to stay on top of the sugar, you were way faster than 2,000 RPM. Could be an issue that needs further investigation by a good tech.

Addendum: just rereading your first post, when you say you bogged down. Do you mean you lost all momentum in 2WD and came to a halt, still into the throttle? That’s going to get hot quick.
I dont think I came to a complete stop but it was slowing down enough I stopped and switched to 4wd. Maybe it was enough with all the low range 2wd to get it hot. But I drove like 1000 ft or more before it gave me trouble after that. And that was all hard packed for the most part.

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
has it been fine since?

I thought if u get the warning lite - stop - let it idle and let the oil pump around to cool the oil
Yea I drove it off the trail but it wouldn't come out of 1st then shut it down and let it cool for like 5 minutes. After that it was fine the whole way home.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I wouldn’t worry about it

Who knows - maybe got wheels kinda stuck a little or really bogged down in the sand - oil got a little hot - warning lite came on - sounds like it’s all working

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I agree
And DMPH is a bad driver cuz @trigger made it 1st try NP 🤣
Yeah I think there was two things going on really. The first was that he had heavy mud tires and they were digging in. A round profile tire has more flotation. The second was sh!tty driving. As mentioned, when riding the sugar you want to keep wheel speed and ride the top. PH waited too long to downshift on all 3 of his runs. I downshifted as soon as I started losing rpm's and cracked into the lower gear. Probably not good for the machine but kept my wheel speed up and made it, with a heavier machine. :cool:
PS. Remember when he took his lawn chairs out of the back? 😆

POIDH
The Hill

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I keep mine at 4,000 rpm in the sand in the lower gears, if its soft and deep I run at 5,000 especially if I'm in 4th and 5th. If I'm play racing the guys, I run 6,000 to 8,000 rpm.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know nothing about running on the sugar sand you speak of but I know when I'm going real slow I've found it much better to run in manaul mode so you can keep you RPM's up. Lugging around can be hard on many types of machines. Also, did you check the trans oil. And if so, did you check it correctly by not screwing in the dip stick. Another option I would do in your hot climate is make sure to use the Honda 10w30 Synthetic in the trans. Synthetic creates less friction. Just my two cents.

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know nothing about running on the sugar sand you speak of but I know when I'm going real slow I've found it much better to run in manaul mode so you can keep you RPM's up. Lugging around can be hard on many types of machines. Also, did you check the trans oil. And if so, did you check it correctly by not screwing in the dip stick. Another option I would do in your hot climate is make sure to use the Honda 10w30 Synthetic in the trans. Synthetic creates less friction. Just my two cents.
I have not checked the trans oil. I will this afternoon.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have not checked the trans oil. I will this afternoon.
I know some have mentioned it.
When ever I run on sugar sand I try to stay in 4WD and manual wether low or high. Unless I want to play and drift of just do dumb shît, then I'll run 2WD locked low or high (sport mode if not on manual)

I've never had an issue with getting the oil too hot, but then again I always try to find some water to ride through also 😉

Good luck, hope it was nothing major 🤞

F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know some have mentioned it.
When ever I run on sugar sand I try to stay in 4WD and manual wether low or high. Unless I want to play and drift of just do dumb shît, then I'll run 2WD locked low or high (sport mode if not on manual)

I've never had an issue with getting the oil too hot, but then again I always try to find some water to ride through also 😉

Good luck, hope it was nothing major 🤞
Hmm I didn't think about sport mode, that would keep the rpms higher.

Reactions: Smitty335
F

FloridaPath

Mar 23, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update:

So I was out riding around in knee high grass with maybe 4 inches of water and started having the issue again. Turned it off waited a few minutes and it was fine again. But unfortunately this was the end of the trip so didn't get to investigate. Next time I went out and paid more attention, when in auto even just putting around in low it has apparently gotten into 2nd gear. Because when I come to a stop i noticed I can hear/feel it down shifting. So manual mode and kept it in first and didn't have any problems when going through stuff like that. I think it's weird it wouldn't down shift automatically into 1st. But it was smooth enough for me not to notice it had shifted out of first. I'm definitely not going fast enough to be out of 1st any more if I ever was...

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah, that worked out just swell.........
Haha
I wish they made a DCT in a sled and made it work somehow. Im tired of going through belts. They just go out of the Blue with little warning. The trail (snow) is littered with torn belts every few miles u see one.
On a sled your usually 100 or more miles from camp when it happens. You get your spare out then its pucker factor the rest of the ride and back cuz that's your only one left and you dont know with it setting, how well that last belt will hold up. Its a Erie feeling on the ride back.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So you feel like a Great Lake, @Remington? 🤣

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!