P500 Highest elevation?

Mudslyder

Mudslyder

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2016
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
We recently had the opportunity to spend a week in Pitkin Colorado, part of the Gunnison National Forest. We had the buggy at 12,140 ft. There was definitely a noticeable loss of power at that elevation, for both the buggy and the passengers, but we hung in there with the Arctic Cats and Polaris machines. At 11,000 ft I couldn't tell any difference, but that last 1000 had us needing more O2.
81967 2865d56fe6b6dd99163f61c9ffb77274

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
In the summer of 2014 I took my bran new 500 to a buddy's cabin in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains of southern Colorado. The cabin is at 9,800ft elevation and we rode for a week from 8,500ft in the San Luis Valley to up to 12,000 in the mountains. I didn't have 100 miles on the rig when we got up there from here at home at 700ft in Arkansas. We put from 100 to 120 miles per day on the 500 for a week. The first day and half of riding I thought the Honda did OK, but a little sluggish at the higher elevations, about noon of the second day we were running at about 11,000ft on a long straight gravel road when the 500 suddenly gained a gear. All at once it started running like you had put an oxygen tank on it. Places we geared down to 3d to keep going the day before we were running in 5th with no loss of speed or power. The rest of the week that thing ran like a scalded cat. I've taken it back out there once or twice a year since and it does the thing, sometimes a little quicker, like a half a day riding, sometimes it takes two days, but the computer resets or something after I've been out there a while and then it runs great. Doesn't really run bad to start with, but it runs so much better after it resets it's amazing.

Mudslyder

Mudslyder

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2016
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The cabin was at about 11000 ft, the peaks over 12000 were only for a short time, up over and down. Maybe we were not maintaining the altitude long enough for the computer to adjust. Not complaining at all, the buggy performed flawlessly. The Arctic Cat broke down, he had to drive 2 hours to the closest dealer, they didn't have the parts needed to make the repairs so he bought a new one so he would have something to ride for the week. Luckily it went into limp mode so he could get back. Would have been a really long walk. The 2016 is now for sale. The Polaris did ok but for 2 1/2 times the cost it should. I was still right on his bumper the whole trip.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Living in Colorado we ride a lot at 10K to 12K often and with the Rip Saw tires being heavy as they are you do notice a loss of some power but you are mostly going slow so yea, you will be running a lower gear but you will be going slow to start with because of the terrain and with the low gearing on the P5 you won't run out of power, just a lack of.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
At 10K plus feet you'll experience a lot sluggishness, backfiring, poor performance and loss of power. It affects the P500 as well! o_O
I have not experienced any backfiring in my P5, some sluggishness but not a lot and I am only running 87 Octane. Higher octane may stop the backfire and excessive sluggishness at altitude.

Mudslyder

Mudslyder

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2016
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
No backfiring, just some sluggishness for us. 87 octane, no ethanol. Don't know what effects no ethanol would have if any.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
No backfiring, just some sluggishness for us. 87 octane, no ethanol. Don't know what effects no ethanol would have if any.
I ran some non ethanol last year on Tincup and Cumberland Pass which is over 12K and did not notice any difference.

Mudslyder

Mudslyder

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2016
Central Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
We went over both of those as well. Filled up at the little store in Pitkin. Hondas are a rare sight there. Beautiful country, a great way to spend time in the Pioneer. As Durangotang mentioned, I was experiencing a lot more sluggishness and loss of power than the buggy did.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!