Homemade Roof

Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I didn't like the price, height, or material of Honda's roof and not patient enough for the aftermarket to catch up so we got creative. We Bought two sheets of 4x6 diamond plate Aluminum .56 thick and went with 6 feet to make sure it was wide enough for the 60 inches (should have enough left over for A-arm guards) and used two pieces overlapped in the middle so it was easier to make the bend. It's fastened to the rollbar with 1 5/8" tension bands for chain link fence painted black. Only .98 at Home Depot or .35 plus shipping from http://www.discountfence.com/chainlink2/fittings.htm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    931.7 KB · Views: 9,334
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    663.2 KB · Views: 7,190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 3,628
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    746.4 KB · Views: 5,428
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6,482
pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1400018741718.jpg[/attachment]GerehapaEge9e6urUma4a2yv

I whipped this one together in a week because I knew it was going to rain on our ride last Saturday. My company owner gave me an old sheet of 1/8" aluminum and my buddy got me another piece of scrap 1/4" so all I have is $70 in the sheet of lexan for the windshield and about $15 in the clamps for now. I got conduit clamps from Lowes for about $1/pc but I'm going to order better ones soon. If you use conduit clamps I'd get 1 1/4" because I used 1 1/2" and they fit but the bolt is bottomed out. I'll add a few better pics sometime.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
both of these look good. I may have to borrow your idea and methods.
Thanks for posting.

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
Clouds way looks much easier I think. I welded mine together because...well, I'm a welder and had access to cutting and welding equipment and not a metal break. I like the way he bent both pieces. It should work just as well as welding I'd think.

Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
Pipe benders looks good too, did your noise level increase a lot? I was surprised at how much quieter it was with no roof. Windshield looks good too, that's in my list of things to do too.

I didn't have any experience with welding aluminum snd wanted to keep it light weight, so far so good.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I've always lined the underneath side of my roofs to help keep the noise level down.It helps in taking away any of the echo and drumming sounds.One other reason is that it helps keep some of the heat of the sun down plus in the winter in the cab it helps with keeping the heat in. What I've used was two layer's of the laminate flooring foam against the roof and to hold it up in place I used some silver colored tarp.Of course it's installed above the roll bar and the underside of the roof.

pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
Cloud 9 Rider said:
Pipe benders looks good too, did your noise level increase a lot? I was surprised at how much quieter it was with no roof. Windshield looks good too, that's in my list of things to do too.

I didn't have any experience with welding aluminum snd wanted to keep it light weight, so far so good.

Yes it was quite a bit louder after the roof and windshield. I don't mind it for now but when I get the doors and stuff I'm sure it'll get even louder. I'd be sure to at least screw together the 2 pieces of your roof so they don't vibrate against each other. Aluminum welding is tricky especially when you don't take the time to cut the pieces straight. I used a plasma cutter and was in a hurry so it was more difficult but I got er done.

A

andr3wm

Jun 2, 2014
Looks good. Are you planning to paint it?

advertisement
Cloud 9 Rider

Cloud 9 Rider

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I haven't painted mine, I thought about doing something on the inside but not sure if it will happen anytime soon. The bright diamond plate reflects the sun and is so different than most side by sides that it draws a lot of attention on the trails which I kinda like lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2,139
pipefighter577

pipefighter577

Nov 20, 2013
Ohio
andr3wm said:
Looks good. Are you planning to paint it?

I plan on painting mine eventually but not in a hurry. Just glad I have the option of a roof when I need it. Recently bought a toy hauler camper and had to remove the roof from the pioneer to make it fit. Still only have about a 1/2" clearance between the door and roll cage.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!