P1000 Homemade tree/rock sliders

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Copied the idea from @JTW but added an "edge" to it. Used 2x2 angle then added 1x1 angle for the edge. Left a "shoe" on the front and bent it up slightly to protect the oem plastic. Sprayed with rustoleum truck bed liner. Attached with four stainless 5/16"x 2.5" bolts, flat & lock washers and nuts.

Goal was to add some protection to the side bar and plastics without sticking out too far to avoid hanging on anything.
20200316 142940
20200316 141439
20200316 141525

J

JTW

Copied the idea from @JTW but added an "edge" to it. Used 2x2 angle then added 1x1 angle for the edge. Left a "shoe" on the front and bent it up slightly to protect the oem plastic. Sprayed with rustoleum truck bed liner. Attached with four stainless 5/16"x 2.5" bolts, flat & lock washers and nuts.

Goal was to add some protection to the side bar and plastics without sticking out too far to avoid hanging on anything.
View attachment 190319View attachment 190320View attachment 190321
That looks great! Knowing it works as well as it does, this is a great addition to improve it further! I had planned on adding some tree kickers to mine but I haven’t really felt a need for them... but I really like this little extra touch you’ve done! Should add quite a bit of extra strength and rigidity.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you drill your side angle?
Knew someone would ask!

Took a dremel with a cutoff wheel to make a notch or saddle if you will on the 1x1 edge. This allowed enough surface area to drill with a 3/16" bit, then a 1/4" bit and followed up with a 5/16" bit for the bolts to pass all the way through the oem tube. Then took a unibit to bore a hole large enough to pass a flat washer through (seems like 7/8" was enough). Finally used the drum shaped sanding bit on the dremel to radius the sharp edges out on the bolt pockets in the 1x1 angle.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That looks great! Knowing it works as well as it does, this is a great addition to improve it further! I had planned on adding some tree kickers to mine but I haven’t really felt a need for them... but I really like this little extra touch you’ve done! Should add quite a bit of extra strength and rigidity.
I though about kicker bars as well, but didnt want something that might snag rocks, etc...

Not sure if you can tell, but there is a 45 degree bevel on the leading and trailing edge of the 1x1 to prevent snagging as well.

Reactions: Isaiah
J

JTW

Knew someone would ask!

Took a dremel with a cutoff wheel to make a notch or saddle if you will on the 1x1 edge. This allowed enough surface area to drill with a 3/16" bit, then a 1/4" bit and followed up with a 5/16" bit for the bolts to pass all the way through the oem tube. Then took a unibit to bore a hole large enough to pass a flat washer through (seems like 7/8" was enough). Finally used the drum shaped sanding bit on the dremel to radius the sharp edges out on the bolt pockets in the 1x1 angle.
Wonder if I could short cut it with the mill now and just take a side bite out of the angle?

advertisement
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wonder if I could short cut it with the mill now and just take a side bite out of the angle?
I dont see why not. Really doesnt take alot to get a small bit to start.

Reactions: Isaiah
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Flatten the area to be drilled with a grinder. Then use a hole saw in a drill press. Or use a milling machine for those that have one!!!🤔

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!