P1000 Honda 1000 using oil

T

THayden337

Jun 20, 2019
Sulphur Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My 2017 has been using oil...It's not smoking at all, and runs perfectly. It's not using it every week. Bought used with 125hrs on it. Did a full service after purchase. Used the 10/40 mobile 1 atv oil on my initial service. Manual says 1200 miles per oil change. I'm probably half that. Just curious if this is "normal". We don't trail ride or beat this machine, it's a deer lease/ pavement princess.

Reactions: Isaiah and BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 has been using oil...It's not smoking at all, and runs perfectly. It's not using it every week. Bought used with 125hrs on it. Did a full service after purchase. Used the 10/40 mobile 1 atv oil on my initial service. Manual says 1200 miles per oil change. I'm probably half that. Just curious if this is "normal". We don't trail ride or beat this machine, it's a deer lease/ pavement princess.
Well how much has it used ....... how low is it???

T

THayden337

Jun 20, 2019
Sulphur Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The stick was dry, took about a qt to get it to full mark. Machine is not abused, trail ridden, no teenage abuse, It's the second time it's done this.... I'll just keep a better eye on it and record miles

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The stick was dry, took about a qt to get it to full mark. Machine is not abused, trail ridden, no teenage abuse, It's the second time it's done this.... I'll just keep a better eye on it and record miles
That don't sound good, nor normal. I assume you have already check and do not have an oil leak?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I find the way to check the oil is a real pain. Starting it and letting it warm up, then shutting down seems silly to me. I know on my previous 700 I checked it once while up camping and it seemed really low. I put about a 1/2- 3/4 qt in it and drove it around the rest of the weekend. The next weekend I checked it and it was way over. I changed the oil in my 1000 the other day and got mixed results while checking it. I put 6.1 qt like advised from the manual. I let it warm up for a couple of minutes and let it set for a couple of minutes. I checked it and it didn't even show on the dipstick. I put an additional .4 qts over a series of warm ups and checks. It finally showed good on the dipstick around 1/2 way between the lines. Yesterday I checked it and it was over the top mark. I'll pull a little out but I've found that checking the dipstick is real hit an miss. Hope you don't have a problem and it's just the stupid way they make you check it.

Reactions: TripleB and hurld
hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
I find the way to check the oil is a real pain. Starting it and letting it warm up, then shutting down seems silly to me. I know on my previous 700 I checked it once while up camping and it seemed really low. I put about a 1/2- 3/4 qt in it and drove it around the rest of the weekend. The next weekend I checked it and it was way over. I changed the oil in my 1000 the other day and got mixed results while checking it. I put 6.1 qt like advised from the manual. I let it warm up for a couple of minutes and let it set for a couple of minutes. I checked it and it didn't even show on the dipstick. I put an additional .4 qts over a series of warm ups and checks. It finally showed good on the dipstick around 1/2 way between the lines. Yesterday I checked it and it was over the top mark. I'll pull a little out but I've found that checking the dipstick is real hit an miss. Hope you don't have a problem and it's just the stupid way they make you check it.
I've had the same experience checking the oil, but have noticed the oil level is super sensitive to how level the machine is sitting. My garage floor has a pretty good pitch to it as it used to be a covered porch. I get much different readings on oil level depending on if my machine is pulled in or backed in the garage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: tjoreo and TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
1 of the few things I've always hated about my Hondas, is how u have to check the oil. And of course drum brakes on their atvs.

T

THayden337

Jun 20, 2019
Sulphur Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That don't sound good, nor normal. I assume you have already check and do not have an oil leak?
Zero leaks..... did a a oil change minus the sub this pm. I reset the maintenance on the 1000 and will keep a sharp eye on it!

Reactions: BigOL3
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My motorcycle is the same way - start it, run for X minutes, turn off, let sit for 2 or 3 minutes, measure. BS IMO and impossible to duplicate accurately. Not wanting to go through that with the Talon, I checked it cold, the oil level was 7/16" above full, that is my new oil level and it's 100% repeatable as long as I check it in the same place in the garage. This is with the dipstick screwed in fully, not unscrewed, teetering on the top threads of the fill hole - yet another opportunity for inaccurate readings.

advertisement
C

Chmathu89

May 13, 2019
St. Anne, Il
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just changed the oil in mine this weekend and accidentally overfilled it because when checking the oil the dipstick wasn't seated all the way. I really wish the oil level check involved screwing the dipstick in all the way to check. It seems like the threads hung up and didn't give me an accurate reading.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds to me like one of you young part makers need to print up a replacement oil dipstick with adjusted graduates so the reading can be taken by running it all the way into the threads. I just put a mark on my factory dipstick and test it that way.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you don't see anything obvious you might try Honda oil just to make sure it's not the thinner synthetic oil. I assume when you said Mobil 1 you meant synthetic.
This is good advice, some engines tend to use a bit of oil when running synthetic vs dino oil, just the nature of the beast.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I've had the same experience checking the oil, but have noticed the oil level is super sensitive to how level the machine is sitting. My garage floor has a pretty good pitch to it as it used to be a covered porch. I get much different readings on oil level depending on if my machine is pulled in or backed in the garage.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This 100%. Find a level spot to check the oil, and always park it in that same spot when checking the oil. Run the machine per the instructions and check it. It's a pain, but I just try to follow the steps every time and make it a habit. My pioneer 500 used oil and it was also very sensitive to unlevel ground. I was checking the oil in that machine almost every time I ran it because of the consumption. What made it worse was that the consumption was inconsistent. I am glad my 1000 doesn't seem to use any oil yet. I'm at 1260 miles since August when I bought it.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!