Honda 700-4 filled with 6 quarts of oil from delership

M

Matt89

Nov 6, 2014
Bought 700-4 from Marquette power sports and stalled three times first ride going down hills. Parked in garage and noticed oil under machine. I put 100 miles on it so when I drained oil found six quarts. Brought oil into delership and was told machine was going be fine the gave me new oil and filter and said monitor machine. Didn't sound right so I called Honda they said bring machine back to dealer and have them check it out. They called me today and said they checked air filter and took for a ride and now are claiming I'm lying about the oil. Im concerned about machine and asked they at least extended warranty because winter coming machine going sit for 4 months. What should I do. Still have open case with Honda and supervisor going call me tomorrow. Is the machine ok and what should I have checked

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Matt,
Welcome to the community, Sorry a problem has brought you here.
hum.... Someone with more experience on overfilling effects is going to have to respond. There are some knowledgeable members here.

I know that in 2001, I overfilled my Rubicon because I forgot to drain the second plug. Was about a hour into my ride with trouble before I noticed it, Drained some out and went on. No major issues resulting from it, sold it in 2008.

M

Matt89

Nov 6, 2014
thanks I've have gotten so much information from this community been reading for months as a guest. Love my new pioneer wish I loved my delership

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
it should be just fine i would think

Lynn

Lynn

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Yakima,WA
I think you'll be ok, but check the air filter box for oil. The crankcase vents into the side of the air box of the drivers side. I think that's where the extra oil would show up first. Make sure your front and rear shaft seals coming out of the engine aren't leaking. They shouldn't be,the vent to air cleaner should've handled the extra pressure. If no leaks you should be fine, just enjoy it and maybe find a different dealer.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lynn said:
I think you'll be ok, but check the air filter box for oil. The crankcase vents into the side of the air box of the drivers side. I think that's where the extra oil would show up first. Make sure your front and rear shaft seals coming out of the engine aren't leaking. They shouldn't be,the vent to air cleaner should've handled the extra pressure. If no leaks you should be fine, just enjoy it and maybe find a different dealer.

+1

The seals are what I would worry about, that and if they used the right grade 10-40 is too thick it causes issue with shifting.

Basically I'd cover myself by doing an oil change myself and making sure it was right.
I don't trust dealers once a machine/vehicle is past the factory warranty. Things have seemed to break very soon after I left on several occasions.

M

Matt89

Nov 6, 2014
Thanks Lynn , why somebody at delership or Honda couldn't explain that the way you did is really confusing to me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!