Honda Big Red 700 Transmission problems

D

DaveJ

Jan 5, 2015
I have a 2009 Honda Big Red with 3100 miles on it , two of the clutch discs in the transmisssion came apart and plugged up the oil pickup tube in the engine , it ruined the camshaft , the oil pump ,and all the little small pieces of clutch disc went thru the engine , took it to a Honda dealer , took over a month to get it fixed , over 2200.00 dollars for the repair , never would have expected this from a Honda , always used Honda GN 4 , 10w40 engine oil with a geniune Honda oil filter been thru two starters also and there was a stator recall on the machine too . really disappointed with this Honda Big Red , might get rid of it , I'm afraid it might happen again , considering a Kubota 1120D , just wanted to make all you other Honda Big Red owners aware of this problem , the Honda Pioneer has the same engine and transmission , BEWARE !

B

Beechwood

Apr 2, 2015
I have a 09 big red in a shop now with low oil pressure. I changed out the oil and inspected the filter element just before taking it in and did not find a trace of anything in it that looked like clutch discs, metal wear or moisture. They have replaced the oil pump but the oil pressure is still too low. My dash warning lamp has never been on and I should think a lamp should light up it the oil pressure drops out. Did you notice the light on your dash being on? Was there a code in your control mod / computer.

B

Beechwood

Apr 2, 2015
big red transmission/ oil pressure problem

I have my 09 Big Red in a dealers shop with low oil pressure that mostly allows the engine to race away without engaging the transmission. I checked out the oil and filter before taking it in and it was not contaminated with anything that I could see. They have installed the new oil pump and the problem remained. Next step will be a very costly tear down to find the problem. I don't believe this is the first one of these to do this and I hope that someone that has seen this will let me know what it took to repair another one. The oil pickup will be checked but the case has to be split to get to it and they're talking 12 hrs. labor.

M

Masonjar09

Oct 9, 2015
big red transmission/ oil pressure problem

I have my 09 Big Red in a dealers shop with low oil pressure that mostly allows the engine to race away without engaging the transmission. I checked out the oil and filter before taking it in and it was not contaminated with anything that I could see. They have installed the new oil pump and the problem remained. Next step will be a very costly tear down to find the problem. I don't believe this is the first one of these to do this and I hope that someone that has seen this will let me know what it took to repair another one. The oil pickup will be checked but the case has to be split to get to it and they're talking 12 hrs. labor.

Did you find out what was going on.

Z50rsupra

Z50rsupra

Oct 11, 2015
I have a 09 big red in a shop now with low oil pressure. I changed out the oil and inspected the filter element just before taking it in and did not find a trace of anything in it that looked like clutch discs, metal wear or moisture. They have replaced the oil pump but the oil pressure is still too low. My dash warning lamp has never been on and I should think a lamp should light up it the oil pressure drops out. Did you notice the light on your dash being on? Was there a code in your control mod / computer.
Your low oil pressure is due to the oil pump pickup screen being stopped up with fiber from the clutch plates, you won't see anything in the oil but it there. Must split cases and replace the 9 clutch plates.

GBOUT

GBOUT

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2015
Mid TN
I hate to hear this....... I have a 2012 BR that has been great so far....... I run Shell Rotella T6 in mine and it is smooth as butter....... If you find out what the cause was please share......... Hope you stay with HONDA....... Good luck!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!