Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just ran across what Honda has added, CRF 450L dual sport. Wish they had it when I got my CRF 250L, next size then was 650. The 450 sounds nice, but its MSRP is twice the price of my 2014 250L, (wish I didn’t sell it). Dual sports were nice as you can ride on the road looking for offroad trails.
A57138EA 8ACF 4B44 AA7D F719E78EE11728313B2A FC40 4FB1 B090 A1BE5316383C

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Just ran across what Honda has added, CRF 450L dual sport. Wish they had it when I got my CRF 250L, next size then was 650. The 450 sounds nice, but its MSRP is twice the price of my 2014 250L, (wish I didn’t sell it). Dual sports were nice as you can ride on the road looking for offroad trails.
View attachment 282631View attachment 282632
Ditto, my XL650R was just a little too big to throw around. A 450 would have been perfect.

H

HondaTech

But,,,it isn't a 450r with lights.It's a corked up ,heavy, 450.

Its pretty much a 450r with lights.

Its temperamental, has hell maintenance intervals and vibrates terribly at speed.

People wanted a soft mannered, smooth bike with 4-5k mile oil changes that has 450r power. You cant have that.

The Africa Twin is the same way. People wanted the mainstream verison of an ADV (BMW GS, Multistrada). Bikes that half the riders who own 1 never take it off road ever. Honda built a true ADV, great offroad with the ability to ride the blacktop to get there.

People think they want something and then Honda builds it and they realize its not great where they want it to be, but its awesome where it should be.

The Talon is somewhat in that boat as well.
Ive got customers who buy the Talon and b**** because it doesnt have stuff they could've gotten in the Pioneer. But because the Pioneer "only" has 72hp its noy enough. Nevermind the fact they dont get above 5mph cruising the campground, or 15mph on the trails. Never hit a bump big enough to use the Pioneers suspension travel, let alone the Talon and have a box in the bed full of s*** they'll never see again because it'll never get used.

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
A 450X is (at least used to be) the closest thing to "a 450R with lights." They were also detuned and heavier. As I recall, one tooth on the timing, smaller headpipe, heavier muffler, bigger radiators, carburetor, gearing, wheels, suspension settings and I can not remember too much else. The X was delayed quite a while because Honda did NOT want it to be a 450R with lights. There are many, many parts that do not interchange between the R and X, and Honda spent a lot of time and effort before they released what was for the most part a completely new motorcycle--the X.

If the new 450L is indeed a 450R with lights then Honda has completely changed its approach to these machines and it would be a great surprise to me--and I was pretty close to Team Honda and their off-road development team, at least in those years.

C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
I built and bought a bunch of dual sport bikes over the years, and my favorite was a Honda XR350R. It pretty much did everything I wanted although I did put aftermarket rear shocks and tuned CR250 front forks on it. My wife and I have been married over 45 years now, and the week after she rode 2 up on a 120 mile dual sport ride on the back of my heavily modified XR (before the 350) I knew she was a keeper! (my wife not the XR even though I did keep it for a while too).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!