P700 Honda OEM windshield is bending! Help!

R

RobEmery49

Nov 16, 2015
Honda OEM windshield is bending! Help!! I just purchased the hard coated two piece windshield. When I trailer the Pioneer at interstate speeds (70 mph) the top of the windshield on the passenger side bends backwards. I can take my hand and pop it back into place (forward), but over time this is bound to crack. The bend occurs at the factory-designed curve atop the windshield on the passenger side. I have uploaded "before and after" photos below. The file names tell you which is which.
Has anyone else experienced this with the plastic windshields before? I assume this will be made good under warranty, etc. I'm thinking about upgrading to the true glass window given that this issue is occurring with the plastic one. I guess I'm just shocked because I've always trusted Honda products and I've never seen a defect like this before. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Attachments

• Windshield  bent (interior).jpg
    Windshield bent (interior).jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 255
  • Windshield  fixed (interior).jpg
    Windshield fixed (interior).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 226
  • Windshield  bent (exterior).jpg
    Windshield bent (exterior).jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Windshield fixed (exterior).jpg
    Windshield fixed (exterior).jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 218
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Humm that’s the 1st time I have seen that! I would check the mounts to the cage, there may be mounted wrong adding too much tension or not enough. If that is not it then the draft off your towing vehicle may be adding the extra pressure at those speeds, you have two options then, slow down or remove the top portion of the wind shield for travel.

Reactions: Hondasxs
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome to the Club @RobEmery49 !!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Needs a support in the middle imo.

Yeah maybe but you have to think what it is designed for. Does the pioneer 700 drive 70MPH? no. now that is not to say that I have not towed it at those speeds and I have not had that issue but it is a risk that I take occasionally when I am running late and the wife will be pissed I’m not back in time!

Reactions: DTAGG
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
[QUOTE="bobbyhill, .... you have two options then, slow down or remove the top portion of the wind shield for travel.[/QUOTE]

So really that's only one option (I'm just say'n)

Just kidding.

My thoughts are: Do they all do this and RobEmory (welcome Rob) is the only one not returning to straight position? Try pushing on it from outside to simulate the wind. Maybe you can see what is happening. Then you may want to loosen the mounts (let it give and return) or tighten them.

My opinion is that Honda knows these things must be transported (they are not street legal) at highway speeds. Everything should hold up. I've heard of tops blowing off. I have seen cracked windshields. I haven't seen what Rob is experiencing.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Humm that’s the 1st time I have seen that! I would check the mounts to the cage, there may be mounted wrong adding too much tension or not enough. If that is not it then the draft off your towing vehicle may be adding the extra pressure at those speeds, you have two options then, slow down or remove the top portion of the wind shield for travel.

Another reason to spend the extra $100 for the glass windshield, sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get what they designed it to do which is perform satisfactorily up to the top speed of the machine it was designed for.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Could you clamp a bracket to the roll bar to stop it? You shouldn't have to but it might be a temp. solution. I'd say try to turn it in on warranty and pay the diff to upgrade to glass if you can.

K

kbeemer1

Dec 1, 2015
Honda OEM windshield is bending! Help!! I just purchased the hard coated two piece windshield. When I trailer the Pioneer at interstate speeds (70 mph) the top of the windshield on the passenger side bends backwards. I can take my hand and pop it back into place (forward), but over time this is bound to crack. The bend occurs at the factory-designed curve atop the windshield on the passenger side. I have uploaded "before and after" photos below. The file names tell you which is which.
Has anyone else experienced this with the plastic windshields before? I assume this will be made good under warranty, etc. I'm thinking about upgrading to the true glass window given that this issue is occurring with the plastic one. I guess I'm just shocked because I've always trusted Honda products and I've never seen a defect like this before. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
Rob.
My windshield did the same thing this past Sunday at 65 MPH and did crack a little on the top. The funny thing is was had hauled it before at those speeds with no problem. Had to remove it for the rest of the trip home. Was never told we couldn't transport it with windshield on. In fact dealer said not to load it backwards on trailer to prevent windshield from blowing out. Temperature was was 30's when hauling so that might of contributed to the windshield bowing. Plan on sending a picture to dealer and see if I can get a warranty replacement for the top half of wind shield.

S

smokinit

Jul 2, 2014
I was always under the understanding. And my doors have it right on the tag saying that they are not designed to be installed when unit is trailered. I have an aftermarket windshield of a similar design and the specifically said do not trailer with windshield folded up.

SuperYeti

SuperYeti

May 11, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine does it too. It's the upper mounts for the windshield rotating. I've also noticed I'm getting a small crack horizontally across that top valley where the windshield turns back towards the roof at the top of it. Guess I'll just run it til it breaks, and replace with a metal/glass job afterwards.

Reactions: Tflynn
Cameron

Cameron

Jul 6, 2015
Dundee, OR
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine did the same thing. I solved it by getting a shower curtain rod and sticking it between the windshield and the seat back as a brace.

191EDE3B-FF9C-4FBD-B07A-6530D866BAE6.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!