P500 Honda P500 Quality Control Issues

S

stickslinger

Oct 8, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Bought a 2018 P500 last August so still in warranty. Got it home and noticed steering wheel was at 2 O’Clock position when vehicle tracks straight. Decided I would have it addressed when I took it in for first service. Dealer where I purchased wanted to charge me for the work. I said no, this was a warranty issue. They contacted Honda for authorization and said Honda refused authorization and said a crooked steering wheel is not a warranty issue. Same answer for a stubborn door latch. These problems should not have made it out of the factory, and Dealer prep should have caught it also. Dealer where I live in Trussville was not helpful at all, and have seen the last of me. I guess I will try to fix it myself. Any suggestions/posts on how to do it would be appreciated.

Reactions: 100Acre and rtn001
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
couldn't be an easier fix, just point the front wheels straight ahead, pop the steering wheel center cap off, take a 19 mm socket and ratchet and remove the nut, pull steering wheel off splined shaft, reinstall in the 12 o'clock position, double check to make sure wheels are still straight ahead, put the nut back on and torque it down to around 36 ft. lbs. and done.
I've done more of them than I can count. It's hard to believe a dealer wouldn't be willing to take about 1 min. and fix it for no charge. The door latch and this should have been addressed while being set up.

S

stickslinger

Oct 8, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
couldn't be an easier fix, just point the front wheels straight ahead, pop the steering wheel center cap off, take a 19 mm socket and ratchet and remove the nut, pull steering wheel off splined shaft, reinstall in the 12 o'clock position, double check to make sure wheels are still straight ahead, put the nut back on and torque it down to around 36 ft. lbs. and done.
I've done more of them than I can count. It's hard to believe a dealer wouldn't be willing to take about 1 min. and fix it for no charge. The door latch and this should have been addressed while being set up.

Reactions: rtn001
S

stickslinger

Oct 8, 2018
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Buford,
Thanks for the advice. I’m with you, I couldn’t believe the dealer wouldn’t take care if this. They just lost a commercial account for all the service work and parts from now on. If I hadn’t experienced it I would have never dreamed of being treated like this.

Reactions: Mudder and rtn001
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from Central Florida. If it was me before I did anything I would go to the dealers web site and go to their reviews. I would read all of them and see if others were having like problems with their service and what if any responses the dealer made. I would give them the rating I believed to be fair for all of my dealings, sales and service. Then write a short review of the pros and cons of your dealings with them and that you would not be back and could not recommend them. You may and I repeat may be surprised by their response. They do not like negative reviews and often asked to be given the opportunity to make things right. On the other hand I wouldn't hold my breath until they did. Remember to do a follow up on the review whatever the outcome. Be it positive or negative. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing and 100Acre
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Agree with @rtn001 about doing a dealer review, but I also do a review on Google Maps and Yelp and other “Complaints” search results. Dealers can control their website reviews and influence BBB results, but not other independent internet sites. Had a big issue with Southern Powersports, and they had been fined by NTSB, but their website showed high ratings. They even deleted my bad review. I ended up buying x4 from a forum sponsor, Honda of Chattanooga. I do good reviews, and bad ones, as they deserve.
NHTSA Fines Southern Honda Powersports for Selling Unrepaired Recalled Vehicles - Center for Auto Safety

Last edited:
Reactions: 500oneer and rtn001
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Agree with @rtn001 about doing a dealer review, but I also do a review on Google Maps and Yelp and other “Complaints” search results. Dealers can control their website reviews and influence BBB results, but not other independent internet sites. Had a big issue with Southern Powersports, and they had been fined by NTSB, but their website showed high ratings. They even deleted my bad review. I ended up buying x4 from a forum sponsor, Honda of Chattanooga. I do good reviews, and bad ones, as they deserve.
NHTSA Fines Southern Honda Powersports for Selling Unrepaired Recalled Vehicles - Center for Auto Safety
Yep. Mudder is correct. I forgot to mention Google reviews. I took my truck to the dealer Quick Service for service and tire rotation. They didn't reset the tire pressures and tried the old " your power steering fluid is getting dark and we will drain, flush the system and replace the fluid for only $109.99" rip off. All this after letting me cool my heels for 1 hour and 50 minutes and I arrived early with an appointment. They said "we will get it right in" which means they will move it in and let it set. I did a Google Review and the G. M., if you believe that, responded, promising to make everything right. Nope, not going back to their Quick Service. I now take it to another dealer and told the writer about the what they said about the power steering fluid. His comment was that he hadn't heard of anyone using that in years and he hoped I hadn't fallen for it.

Reactions: Mudder
SouthwestORV

SouthwestORV

Oct 24, 2018
Taylor, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I love Honda build quality, but for the record my new 2018 had two definite quality control issues:
1. For the first week I was hearing an awful metallic rattle and eventually figured out that it was the roll cage bolts in the center behind the seats - they had never been tightened down so they were bouncing around and one had even lost the nut. ???! I had to tighten them down and replace the lost nut.
2. My driver's side door latch is not aligned with the rubber stoppers so it rattles during operation. Passenger side is great. Driver side misses it, and I don't see adjustment anywhere.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I love Honda build quality, but for the record my new 2018 had two definite quality control issues:
1. For the first week I was hearing an awful metallic rattle and eventually figured out that it was the roll cage bolts in the center behind the seats - they had never been tightened down so they were bouncing around and one had even lost the nut. ???! I had to tighten them down and replace the lost nut.
2. My driver's side door latch is not aligned with the rubber stoppers so it rattles during operation. Passenger side is great. Driver side misses it, and I don't see adjustment anywhere.
Just for info. purpose. Thee upper part of the roll cage is shipped to the dealership not installed and is installed at the dealership. The door latch is another thing, but should have been found in the dealership prep. Appears you dealer has a employee doing half ass work.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Wonder if Honda people ever read this thread? Seems like many problems are dealership issues. Dear Honda Powersports!
On the door latch rattle, interesting tip shown on AMR video.
Wonder if Honda people ever read this thread? Seems like many problems are dealership issues. Dear Honda Powersports!

I agree. The only reason I knew about the way the units are shipped is I was at the dealership and they had 7 new units in the lot. 2 -Talons, 2 -1000s, 2 - 700s and a 500 just off the truck. They had installed the upper roll bars on some of them the rest were setting with the bars wrapped in foam. The p5 hadn't been assembled yet. I hadn't seen the Talon yet so I was over among them having a good look. I took pics and showed them to the Wife and in my best whine said "RON WANTS". To which she replied " don't even think about it". End of story. I would hope the Honda people monitor sates like this but that being said I kind of doubt it. Dosen't Honda have their own site?

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthwestORV
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I hadn't seen the Talon yet so I was over among them having a good look. I took pics and showed them to the Wife and in my best whine said "RON WANTS". To which she replied " don't even think about it". End of story. I would hope the Honda people monitor sates like this but that being said I kind of doubt it. Dosen't Honda have their own site?
That’s quite funny......:D

Reactions: rtn001
tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Bought a 2018 P500 last August so still in warranty. Got it home and noticed steering wheel was at 2 O’Clock position when vehicle tracks straight. Decided I would have it addressed when I took it in for first service. Dealer where I purchased wanted to charge me for the work. I said no, this was a warranty issue. They contacted Honda for authorization and said Honda refused authorization and said a crooked steering wheel is not a warranty issue. Same answer for a stubborn door latch. These problems should not have made it out of the factory, and Dealer prep should have caught it also. Dealer where I live in Trussville was not helpful at all, and have seen the last of me. I guess I will try to fix it myself. Any suggestions/posts on how to do it would be appreciated.
After installing a power steering kit, my wheel was not straight. It took me less than 3 minutes to correct it. I am amazed that a dealer would risk his reputation for such an insignificant adjustment.

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!