P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Maintenance Schedule

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
they do not list any thing for any year that i can find. Some were I found that the KN-114 fit the oil! was just wondering if any one knew for sure.

Reactions: Lady01
Worm237

Worm237

Jul 11, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda service guy said the 1st initial service cost was 2.5 hrs and $600+ dollars? Holy crikey is that possibly correct?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you follow the letter of the law in the manual and have your valves checked.
Most guys do their own services. For right around $100, you can service your rig including the diffs.

Worm237

Worm237

Jul 11, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you follow the letter of the law in the manual and have your valves checked.
Most guys do their own services. For right around $100, you can service your rig including the diffs.

The service guy did say the valves will have to be checked. Anyway no sweat off my balls, I have the pre-paid maintenance agreement but I was just wondering why the $600+ for a 2.5 hr service. I mean the most effort put into the service is checking the valves! The rest is air filter inspection, oil and filter, tires, safety checks, etc etc etc right?

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First service will only include engine oil.
Diffs and sub trans aren't recommended until much later.
What did the service plan cost? For how many years?

Worm237

Worm237

Jul 11, 2017
Atlanta, Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There were five package levels at different prices that covered different maintenance, motor/trans/accidental UTV damage. I got the top package, platinum, at $26 month. My maintenance package covers the first 6 services in 48 months. Engine and trans are covered for a "life time" as long as you keep up the annual maintenance as described by Honda. It is also transferable to the next owner. Sounds good but he company is in New York so I suspect that the first time I go over a prescribed service and then have a problem they will say I did not adhere to the contract and refuse to pay a claim. Therefore............I plan to stay on track with whatever is required so the yankee sons of b____ don't screw me.

Weezil

Weezil

Mar 8, 2019
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wrench icon lit up over the weekend and so I called to schedule break in service. Luckily they didn't say $600 but $225 is still high. Me thinks I may change all the oil myself and adjust the valves if I hear 'em tappin

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wrench icon lit up over the weekend and so I called to schedule break in service. Luckily they didn't say $600 but $225 is still high. Me thinks I may change all the oil myself and adjust the valves if I hear 'em tappin
If this is your first service, they will only change the engine oil.
They will not change the subtrans oil.

Doing the job yourself is easy if you have changed oil before. It wouldn't hurt to change the engine oil and DCT/Engine filters, sub trans oil, front and rear diff oil.
Will give you a chance to get friendly with your machine and ensure everything is done correctly.
The 1000 platform has been out for quite some time now, but I have read in the past of techs draining the sub trans during oil changes and not refilling with oil. @Tramguage1 comes immediately to mind.

dojo

dojo

Jun 21, 2019
New England
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hey guys, considering buying a used pioneer p1k-5 that's got 700 miles on it, and all the accessories I want.
Initial maintenance was dealer serviced, but since that's just oil and filters, i'm left wondering how important swapping out gear oil, coolant, and brake fluid is on the 2 year interval, regardless of mileage.

Replace the following items regardless of mileage:
Front and rear final gear oil
Engine coolant
Brake fluid

the seller of the used pioneer is obviously leaning towards it is not important and dealer is trying to make extra money.
but I'm wary if that's the whole story. I'm OK to service it myself, but would like to get some input from more experienced folks about the importance of this fluid rotation every 2 years.

i'm looking at a 2016

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’ve got a ‘17 700-4. I change my gear oil every year. I ride a lot of mud and water. It’s cheap and easy. Good insurance. You can test the coolant to verify if it needs to be changed. Brake fluid is hygroscpic meaning it absorbs water. I haven’t changed out the coolant or brake fluid yet but I don’t have any indication of a problem. I would check the levels before you buy. If they’re good, then it’s not a deal breaker for me. Hope this helps. ;)

dojo

dojo

Jun 21, 2019
New England
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what's the preferred way to test the coolant?

i suppose if i'm happy with the braking system and it's not spongy - i could wait a bit on the brake fluid.

but in terms of the gear oil, i'm not sure about changing it every 2 years regardless of usage. seems like it could be wasteful.

but then again if the guy is rocking original gear oil, after that 700 mile break in it is good to change

Reactions: Lady01 and Mudwing
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
04F38C1B 9A0B 4602 8D43 DB66C8A3DC11
what's the preferred way to test the coolant?

i suppose if i'm happy with the braking system and it's not spongy - i could wait a bit on the brake fluid.

but in terms of the gear oil, i'm not sure about changing it every 2 years regardless of usage. seems like it could be wasteful.

but then again if the guy is rocking original gear oil, after that 700 mile break in it is good to change
I use a refractometer to test coolant. Works good. I’ve never used the bulb thing on the left. As far as gear oil, I change every year because it’s vented to the atmosphere and the possibility of water in there from riding is real. Just for the sake. It’s always clean. I’ve changed it twice already. Mudding habits. ;)

Reactions: Lady01 and dojo
J

Jsquared

Mar 3, 2020
Nashville TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the first post show as a bunch of code and basically unreadable for anyone else? Can someone post a pic of the maintenance schedule for the 1000-5? Thank you in advance

Reactions: Lady01 and Hondasxs
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the first post show as a bunch of code and basically unreadable for anyone else? Can someone post a pic of the maintenance schedule for the 1000-5? Thank you in advance
Do you have your owners manual? It's in there. If not I can take a pic of mine this evening

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'll work on it.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
hey guys, considering buying a used pioneer p1k-5 that's got 700 miles on it, and all the accessories I want.
Initial maintenance was dealer serviced, but since that's just oil and filters, i'm left wondering how important swapping out gear oil, coolant, and brake fluid is on the 2 year interval, regardless of mileage.

Replace the following items regardless of mileage:
Front and rear final gear oil
Engine coolant
Brake fluid

the seller of the used pioneer is obviously leaning towards it is not important and dealer is trying to make extra money.
but I'm wary if that's the whole story. I'm OK to service it myself, but would like to get some input from more experienced folks about the importance of this fluid rotation every 2 years.

i'm looking at a 2016
Changing the diff oils is not a big deal. Both drain plugs drop straight down. The sub trans is a bit messy. The drain plug is horizontal and the hole in the skid plate is not long enough. If you want to avoid an oil lake on top of your skid plate, take the skid plate off before changing the sub trans oil.

B

BamaDave

Apr 28, 2021
South Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I need to do my 1st service o my 1000-3, does anyone have the service instructions to break this down for me? I ordered this kit

Edwards Oil Change Kit fits 2016-2021 Honda Pioneer 1000

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to do my 1st service o my 1000-3, does anyone have the service instructions to break this down for me? I ordered this kit

Edwards Oil Change Kit fits 2016-2021 Honda Pioneer 1000
Your owners manual shows where the drains for the engine oil are; explains the oil & trans filter location and also has a chart showing recommended service intervals. If this the 20 hr/100 mile service, don’t get too concerned with checking valve lash. The owners manual states that this is only necessary if the valves are noisy or the machine is hard to start. Last item - make sure that you don’t drain the SUB TRANSMISSION accidentally.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those oil drains do tend to confuse the shat outta ya when you first maintain a P1K

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadD and Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!