P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 over heating

R

radressl

Mar 22, 2021
Burgaw
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the help in advance. I am new to the Honda Pioneers but decent mechanically. I have been running my 2017 Honda for about 2 months and it has randomly started overheating. I have tried burping the system and it does nothing. The fan is running and pulling air through the radiator in the correct direction. The first time it overheated I had it idling, not watching it, and turned around to it overflowing so I assume the thermostat opened. Since then I’ve tried burping it a few times and have found that neither the hose coming out of the top or bottom of the radiator are hot along with the coolant in the actual radiator when it over heats pointing towards a stuck thermostat. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I
Thanks for the help in advance. I am new to the Honda Pioneers but decent mechanically. I have been running my 2017 Honda for about 2 months and it has randomly started overheating. I have tried burping the system and it does nothing. The fan is running and pulling air through the radiator in the correct direction. The first time it overheated I had it idling, not watching it, and turned around to it overflowing so I assume the thermostat opened. Since then I’ve tried burping it a few times and have found that neither the hose coming out of the top or bottom of the radiator are hot along with the coolant in the actual radiator when it over heats pointing towards a stuck thermostat. Any help is greatly appreciated.
It has a air pocket jack front end up high as u can get it or get one of these tools it vacuums the air out and replace it with fluid

R

radressl

Mar 22, 2021
Burgaw
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Could anyone tell me exactly how to bleed the system by using the bleed screw? Burping it just didn’t seem to do the trick if it is indeed air. Thanks.

Reactions: Lady01
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
To get to the bleed screw is a bit of a Camala Harris, but u remove the seat and in the middle toward where the back rest is, underneath the metal bar brace you will see the thermostat cover. There it will have a bleeder screw/plug on top that uses an Allan wrench to loosen it up. ONLY open it up when the motor is warm/cold . as it starts to warm up a bit you will hear the air start to bleed out then close it once the fluid comes out. If fluid comes out and no air, your good. No air is present.

For those in Reo Linda...where is Burgaw?
And do u have any pics of this overheating machine?

• Haha
Reactions: Lady01 and Coeus
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It takes about 15-20 min of running with the front elevated to burp it fully. It can spit coolant 10' in the air, so be careful. Keep topping off the radiator as it spits it out.

R

radressl

Mar 22, 2021
Burgaw
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To get to the bleed screw is a bit of a Camala Harris, but u remove the seat and in the middle toward where the back rest is, underneath the metal bar brace you will see the thermostat cover. There it will have a bleeder screw/plug on top that uses an Allan wrench to loosen it up. ONLY open it up when the motor is warm/cold . as it starts to warm up a bit you will hear the air start to bleed out then close it once the fluid comes out. If fluid comes out and no air, your good. No air is present.

Tha
It takes about 15-20 min of running with the front elevated to burp it fully. It can spit coolant 10' in the air, so be careful. Keep topping off the radiator as it spits it out.

I assume I need to run it elevated with the radiator cap off then? I was running it with it on. Allowing it to cool. Then taking it off. Thanks!

R

radressl

Mar 22, 2021
Burgaw
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Thanks! I’ll try this as well. I do not have any pictures of it

M

MonoJoe

May 11, 2019
Calif.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Random over heating problem with my P1000-5 and the fan was not coming on, all Random. Honda has a service bulletin on this problem. They re-flashed the ECM and that fixed the problem.

Reactions: TripleB and Lady01
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Leave the cap off and elevate the front of the machine and run till it quits burping air out, 15 min or so. Keep filling the radiator back up when it burps or draws down. After burping, put the cap back on and run around for a bit. Let it cool off, pull the cap off and run till warm, and check/add antifreeze again on level ground.

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
When your burping, it pushes air out of the engine and draws cold coolant back into the motor which cools it off and closes the thermostat. Has to run for a few minutes to heat back up to open the thermostat. Needs that repeated several times to get the air out so it takes 15 min or so. Elevating the front of the machine just helps get the air a easier path to the radiator. The coolant lines are below the engine and radiator so it is hard for the air to go downhill to get to the radiator. '17, '18 and maybe the '19 models did have a programming issues where the fan would only run for so long and stop and not reset unless you turned the machine off and back on. There was a free fix for that at the dealer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!