P700 Honda Pioneer 700-4 at 9000' elevation?

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I can only get to 7200 ft in our state. Handles that OK, but the most work it does is haul out an elk on a trailer. Down hill most of the time.

I remember someone asking a similar question. While back, Might try a search for 700 loses power or 700 at high elevation.

Last edited:
C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
I did some searching last night on this and the answer is that it does not have enough power. Im going to need low range. Unfortunately I will have to look for something else. Thanks everyone.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I did some searching last night on this and the answer is that it does not have enough power. Im going to need low range. Unfortunately I will have to look for something else. Thanks everyone.
Wait…. Do u not have a P7? Or are u trying to determind if it will work for you?
If u are, we can steer u in the right direction. My suggestion if your in the altitude and hauling what u sat u are and snow plowing that kind of snow and need low range, I would tell u to please consider a P1000-3or5 you wont regret it. There are many threads in the search up top about how they operate doing those very things. Another advise i will tell you for what your doi g is to stay away from the rubberband (belt) machines if you need that low range. They cant compare to the DCT the honda has for that type of low end torque

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
Wait…. Do u not have a P7? Or are u trying to determind if it will work for you?
If u are, we can steer u in the right direction. My suggestion if your in the altitude and hauling what u sat u are and snow plowing that kind of snow and need low range, I would tell u to please consider a P1000-3or5 you wont regret it. There are many threads in the search up top about how they operate doing those very things. Another advise i will tell you for what your doi g is to stay away from the rubberband (belt) machines if you need that low range. They cant compare to the DCT the honda has for that type of low end torque
I don't have anything yet. But I do already have a Aluminum trailer that is only 60" wide and dont have an unlimited checkbook. We are also trying to find something that will seat 3 people so my options are limited. The Pioneer 1000 is 63" wide but does seat 3. I dont think it will fit my trailer but havent been able to physically measure it as it is about 600 miles from me right now so just going on mfgr specs.

Last edited:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When we had our '15 700 we would regularly ride between 7500 to 9500 feet. I never saw lose of power with it but I am also the type of rider that just putts around and enjoys the scenery. My biggest complaint and 1 of my main reasons to move up to the 1000 was the extra low gearing from the 6 speed and low in the subtransmission. I wanted the low gear not for many others reasons of climbing, but actually more for slowing down going down hill. The 700 will try to keep itself slowed down but the first gear is just too high without helping it slow down with the brakes. I would often times find my self applying the parking break a few clicks to help slow it down. As far as power for climbing one time we shot a average cow elk and loaded her in the back. Then we put my father in law, my wife, and myself and all our gear in and around the bike. We are not your average size people so we were easily over 800 lbs just in passengers. The 700 did all I asked of it even climbing up a few steep hills at 7700 ft in at least 6 inches of snow. If your interested go back through the early forum in '14 and '15 and see how everyone talked about there 700 before the 1000 came out. Granted the 1000 is a much more rounded machine but it also has a much more rounded price. Don't give up on the 700 just yet if that's where you are looking.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't have anything yet. But I do already have a Aluminum trailer that is only 50" wide and dont have an unlimited checkbook. We are also trying to find something that will seat 3 people so my options are limited. The Pioneer 1000 is 63" wide but does seat 3. I dont think it will fit my trailer but havent been able to physically measure it as it is about 600 miles from me right now so just going on mfgr specs.
I just saw your reply on the thread. As far as a 50" trailer, neither the 700 or 1000 will fit. Also to get 3 in the 700 you will have to look at the 700-4 with the rear seats. The seats are just too narrow and the additional safety rib cage bar makes it just too small for 3 in the front seat. Even the 1000 can be kind of tight in the front as my family is rather bigger persons. Hope you can find something you can enjoy.

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
I just saw your reply on the thread. As far as a 50" trailer, neither the 700 or 1000 will fit. Also to get 3 in the 700 you will have to look at the 700-4 with the rear seats. The seats are just too narrow and the additional safety rib cage bar makes it just too small for 3 in the front seat. Even the 1000 can be kind of tight in the front as my family is rather bigger persons. Hope you can find something you can enjoy.
Sorry i had a typo. It is a 60" trailer. We were looking at the 700-4. Ill take another look around the forum thanks for the response.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I don't have anything yet. But I do already have a Aluminum trailer that is only 50" wide and dont have an unlimited checkbook. We are also trying to find something that will seat 3 people so my options are limited. The Pioneer 1000 is 63" wide but does seat 3. I dont think it will fit my trailer but havent been able to physically measure it as it is about 600 miles from me right now so just going on mfgr specs.
You dont need an unlimited checkbook inless you want to buy a Trail or one of the other high end models. A base P1 will give u all the powertrain, seats, guages and many other standards that the high priced ones have. Mine is a base and I built up from there over time. Like @tjoreo said, there aint nothin but a quad that will fit your 50” trailer, you corrected and its a 60” still kinda tight. Your best to sell it and take that money and invest it to a trailer to easily fit a sxs, also debatable for length with a plow. Also to have 3 people, the P7 is a bit tight for that. The P7 is a great machine. But most people that are at the maximum of what it can do for them or on the edge to get a P1 like u and then get the P7, usually within a short time upgrade to the P1 and say they should have done it the first time. My advise is to do it once not twice in your decision making. Work smarter not harder! Heres my build of my P1 if u want to see more about one and how it evolved.

Reactions: Buggyman and tjoreo
C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
You dont need an unlimited checkbook inless you want to buy a Trail or one of the other high end models. A base P1 will give u all the powertrain, seats, guages and many other standards that the high priced ones have. Mine is a base and I built up from there over time. Like @tjoreo said, there aint nothin but a quad that will fit your 50” trailer, you corrected and its a 60” still kinda tight. Your best to sell it and take that money and invest it to a trailer to easily fit a sxs, also debatable for length with a plow. Also to have 3 people, the P7 is a bit tight for that. The P7 is a great machine. But most people that are at the maximum of what it can do for them or on the edge to get a P1 like u and then get the P7, usually within a short time upgrade to the P1 and say they should have done it the first time. My advise is to do it once not twice in your decision making. Work smarter not harder! Heres my build of my P1 if u want to see more about one and how it evolved.
Thanks for the advice and link. I thought about selling the trailer and getting something else but i tow with a 2 door Rubicon Jeep so my towing capacity is also limited and i currently have a sub 500lb aluminum trailer.
If we want to go for the weekend to wheel ill likely tow the camper and leave the UTV at home so it is really just going to be for pulling that same trailer with firewood, plowing snow or maybe running my youngest to the bus stop (1 mile).

We havent had a UTV before and are just moving to our place in Colorado so this is all a guessing game as far as what we will want but i know that we need to do chores. Our driveway is pretty steep so ill need the power to haul the trailer up and down.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad to hear your trailer is 60" as that will give you so more options but it still might be tight for a 700. We have one at work so if I get a minute I will try and get a measurement.

I was in the same boat in 2015 when we purchased our 700-4. It was my first UTV and being a Honda fan and an geared transmission fan, I knew it was exactly what I wanted. I had heard rumors of the 1000 coming out but our salesman said it might be a while before anything comes of it. We were very happy with the 700 and put over 4500 miles on it before we bought our 2018 1000-5. There is a night and day difference in the machines and definitely some advantages in the 1000. I don't think you will find a thread where someone says they are dissapointed in upgrading as we have been very pleased with upsizing. The 700 has it's place though and shouldn't be overlooked. I sold our 700-4 to a cousin of mine and he loves it. He said it fits him and his wife just nicely and enjoys the ability to take the grandkids if he wants. They are both very capable and both work very well for plowing as this is what you are interested in. It's amazing how much more ability they have to push heavy snow vs a atv plow. One thing I do believe from what I have seen of friends and family with other brands, I would definelty stay with Honda. Best wishes.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went and measured our 700 at work and it measures about 61" on the front tires. It looks like these front tires and fenders are the widest spot on the bike as the rears are a little narrower at 60". Just for reference. I'm sure it would fit at 60" but it might be rubbing.

C

cnapierala

Nov 29, 2022
NE & CO
Ownership

1. 520
I just went and measured our 700 at work and it measures about 61" on the front tires. It looks like these front tires and fenders are the widest spot on the bike as the rears are a little narrower at 60". Just for reference. I'm sure it would fit at 60" but it might be rubbing.
Thank you! Im going to go out and see what dealers have on their floor this weekend and re-evaluate some of our priorities. There is only 1 unit that meets the width and seat requirement with low range which is the (Should i even say it here..??) the Polaris 570 full size. I may decide to get something that doesnt fit my trailer and just understand it isnt going anywhere besides on our property or around the neighborhood.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Whatever you come up with I'm sure you will enjoy it. A utv is much more enjoyable and capable than an atv especially when you can go play as a family. When you get it figured out send pics even if it's a Polaris. Enjoy Colorado.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking about you when I posted it. I figured 1 little Polaris pic couldn't hurt. Haha. Have a good day @Remington

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I was thinking about you when I posted it. I figured 1 little Polaris pic couldn't hurt. Haha. Have a good day @Remington

Haha I know, I was just being a boob.
Yes whatever he gets, post a picture even if it's a poo poo! Hopefully equipped with lots of fire extinguishers 🥳

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!