Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
On the subject of Satelite communicators if anyone is interested. I bought the Garmin Inreach and it has worked very well. It has the SOS button, tracking ability and 2 way communication through text. When I was first looking at them, the SPOT would only send messages out, but that might have changed now. This one will send messages and receive messages, even in the SOS mode. We had a young lady at work that took her 90+ grandma on a Sunday picnic early last December they ended up on a atv trail and got stuck in a bottom of a canyon. They were there for 2 days before someone found them after 10" of new snow. It sold me right there to invest in one, with the idea that it might not be me that needs help but it could be someone else. A couple of weeks ago, I left my wife and kids camping a few hours away for a couple of weeks, with the peace of mind I could communicate with them. She would check in every afternoon and I could get on the computer and see exactly where they were. The initial price was kind of steep $275 but the cheapest "Emergency" plan runs about $12/month. I figured 2 or 3 Starbucks coffees was worth the peace of mind. Just my 2 cents.

Well i have to ask. Did either one survive?

To your point. Some things I pack, I may never need but they could save someone else's life.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well i have to ask. Did either one survive?

To your point. Some things I pack, I may never need but they could save someone else's life.
It was a very lucky outcome for both of them and they both were fine. Before she was completly off the grid she was able to call a friend and let him know that they were lost but thought they knew how to get out. Which only made it worse because they ended up with a minivan on the atv trail headed in the wrong direction. If they would have stopped they might have been easier to find. Search and Rescue was called and they were able to ping the phone call but it hit a distant cell tower which put the search in a complete wrong direction. Thankfully a couple of late season hunters found them 2 days later or it could have been very bad. The only thing the young lady I work with would say is "I thought I had killed my grandmother". Pretty guttwrenching deal that I hope no one has to go through. I hope I never need to use the inreach but I have it and don't mind paying the $12.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It was a very lucky outcome for both of them and they both were fine. Before she was completly off the grid she was able to call a friend and let him know that they were lost but thought they knew how to get out. Which only made it worse because they ended up with a minivan on the atv trail headed in the wrong direction. If they would have stopped they might have been easier to find. Search and Rescue was called and they were able to ping the phone call but it hit a distant cell tower which put the search in a complete wrong direction. Thankfully a couple of late season hunters found them 2 days later or it could have been very bad. The only thing the young lady I work with would say is "I thought I had killed my grandmother". Pretty guttwrenching deal that I hope no one has to go through. I hope I never need to use the inreach but I have it and don't mind paying the $12.
I rented a sat phone for $180 for 2 weeks in rural Montana. Its cheap insurance.

Rule #1 if you're lost, stop traveling.

Glad they made it out ok.

People tend to be over confident and then make a serious of bad decisions. That leads to dire consequences.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!