Honda Talon oil around filler cap

A

alexr40

May 9, 2021
Florida
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hello Guys,

After I used my new talon for the first time, i notice some dust sticking to an oil film around the filler cap. I cleaned everything with degreaser and thought it was some spill from their factory/dealership first fill.

I used the Talon a few more times and I have been noticing the same... I used it last weekend and after cleaning it and letting it dry and sit for a few days, i see oil stain around the oil filler cap.

Have anybody noticed this? I thought it was previously overfilled but this also happened before and after its first oil change .

its not a lot, but it seems like there is a lot of pressure built and its leaking past the filler cap seal (and yeah i already have checked for tightness between tests)

Reactions: TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Make sure your dipstick is in straight, the Talon and Pioneer have another, hidden hole that the dipstick has to be in. It’s at the bottom of the dipstick, hidden in the case; it’s possible to miss that hole, usually to the rear, cocking the DS slightly.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hello Guys,

After I used my new talon for the first time, i notice some dust sticking to an oil film around the filler cap. I cleaned everything with degreaser and thought it was some spill from their factory/dealership first fill.

I used the Talon a few more times and I have been noticing the same... I used it last weekend and after cleaning it and letting it dry and sit for a few days, i see oil stain around the oil filler cap.

Have anybody noticed this? I thought it was previously overfilled but this also happened before and after its first oil change .

its not a lot, but it seems like there is a lot of pressure built and its leaking past the filler cap seal (and yeah i already have checked for tightness between tests)
Filler cap or dipstick? They are not the same on the Talon and you should never use the dipstick hole to fill or add oil.

Reactions: CID
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Filler cap or dipstick? They are not the same on the Talon and you should never use the dipstick hole to fill or add oil.
Uh oh. When I changed oil, I filled it through the dipstick hole. What is the issue here? Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Uh oh. When I changed oil, I filled it through the dipstick hole. What is the issue here? Thanks!
Supposedly, filling through the dipstick hole doesn't fill the oil sump properly and may starve the engine of oil upon startup. Not entirely sure I believe that but why would Honda provide an additional fill hole when it is so easy to use the dipstick hole?

I used to fill from the dipstick hole but now use the fill cap just in case it is true.

H

HondaTech

Supposedly, filling through the dipstick hole doesn't fill the oil sump properly and may starve the engine of oil upon startup. Not entirely sure I believe that but why would Honda provide an additional fill hole when it is so easy to use the dipstick hole?

I used to fill from the dipstick hole but now use the fill cap just in case it is true.

I believe its becaue the oil pan cant hold all 6 qts of oil dumped directly into it. The fill goes into the oil tank first and allows the pickup yo suck from there. Whereas the pickup in thr pan is just a scavenge pickup.

Also so, you dont get a false oil level.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Thanks for the info guys. NEXT time I will use the filler, though it is more difficult to access. I think I did it right on the first oil change, probably because I RTFM. Then I forgot. 😉

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the info guys. NEXT time I will use the filler, though it is more difficult to access. I think I did it right on the first oil change, probably because I RTFM. Then I forgot. 😉
Tom -
I found stacking funnels gets me up to where it's easier to pour with the storage box still in place. I really hate unloading that dang thing to move it. The green funnel is too large to fit in the filler neck.

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Tom -
I found stacking funnels gets me up to where it's easier to pour with the storage box still in place. I really hate unloading that dang thing to move it. The green funnel is too large to fit in the filler neck.
View attachment 297062
Another thing that works well for pouring oil into the fill tube is to make a funnel by taking a two liter soda bottle and cutting off the bottom of the bottle. The top of the bottle fits perfectly into the fill tube.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Tom -
View attachment 297062
Great idea, CID!

Reactions: CID
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Why is it when I pour in the correct amount of oil the level on the dip stick never shows full after I let it run and warm up and check it and then I need to add more.?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Why is it when I pour in the correct amount of oil the level on the dip stick never shows full after I let it run and warm up and check it and then I need to add more.?
I'm odd man out here - I don't check my oil 'conventionally'. The manual calls for 6.1 qts when changing both filters (.1 qts is 3.2 oz) and that's what I put in, replace cap, ride. Honda's start Talon, let warm up, turn off for 2 or 3 minutes (WHAT?!?!), check oil level is ridiculously unrepeatable.

If you're adding 6 qts. 3.2 oz. for an oil/filters change and then adding more trying to use Honda's idiotic procedure, you're over filling it.

Since I walk by the buggy dozens of times a week, I want to be able to check my oil on a cold engine just like any other damn vehicle. And why don't we have a sight glass like every Japanese motorcycle I've ever owned so I can see when the oil is milky from water intrusion or never warming up?

I took this pic right after changing my oil, both filters, adding 6.1 qts (6 qts. 3.2 oz.) and running long enough to saturate the filters, let sit an hour(?) or overnight, check.

Last edited:
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Its real easy to relocate the oil filler tube so that you don't have to remove the air box cover to get to it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!