P1000 Honda two piece windshield warp

B

BeRonCo

Feb 21, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
New guy here from Texas. When I purchase my 1000-3, I had the two piece Honda windshield installed with hard coat. What I see, is that the lower piece does not mate up with the upper piece, because the lower piece is pushed in, sort of warped inward, I guess due to the wind pushing on it while towing. Has anyone else seen this? Trying to figure out if this is a defective windshield or install, or if I need to come up with some brace to go across the lower part of the windshield to give it support against the wind.

Thanks!

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
New guy here from Texas. When I purchase my 1000-3, I had the two piece Honda windshield installed with hard coat. What I see, is that the lower piece does not mate up with the upper piece, because the lower piece is pushed in, sort of warped inward, I guess due to the wind pushing on it while towing. Has anyone else seen this? Trying to figure out if this is a defective windshield or install, or if I need to come up with some brace to go across the lower part of the windshield to give it support against the wind.

Thanks!
I think Honda accessories have 6 mo warranty. Use it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Thanks!
Mine is the same way. The one that I had with my Yamaha Rhino before I bought the Pioneer was the same also. The material is not stiff enough to span the gap without flexing. I fixed it on the half windshield on the Rhino by cutting a piece of Oak board and then cutting a channel in the board and then placing the edge of the windshield in the channel cut into the oak board. Then I drilled small holes through the board and windshield and screwed it in place. Worked great but a half windshield is all that I ever ran on the Yamaha Rhino. I have not done anything to the Pioneer's windshield yet. You will also soon notice if you have not already that the upper part of the Honda hard coat windshield is the only part that is hard coated. The bottom half will scratch very easily.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just installed that exact model on my machine yesterday. I'll keep an eye on it for sure, and if I come up with a preventative solution such as the one mentioned above, I'll be sure to share. Keep us posted with your outcome.

Reactions: Greenmountfarm
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Myself and my dads rig both have this same issue. His is way worse than mine. We had to space out the lower piece with some washers on his to make it reasonable, now there is a gap on the bottom. Mine, I am just going to put a thicker piece of weather stripping to fill the gap and hope for the best. Seems like the middle mount/brace that goes on the dash needs to be further forward than one thinks. Trouble is now that its on, how do I move it forward because instead of two holes for the push pins to go into, it'll be two slots because I cant go forward enough to get into some fresh plastic without the two holes overlapping. I am open to suggestions.....

Reactions: LapZ and Corona1
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine had a warp as well but i found if I loosened one of the clamps and pulled down it would straighten out then retighten the clamp. I also put a thick rubber washer between the center support and lower half of windshield.

B

BeRonCo

Feb 21, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did find that if I loosened the clamps on the lower windshield, then I could move them and get some of the inward warp out, but not all the way. I also looked at a spacer between the lower windshield and the center support. Both help some. What I am thinking about doing is going to Home Depot and getting a small square piece of aluminum bar, put a piece of weather strip on it so that it will not scratch the lower part of the windshield, and cut to length so that it rests on the roll bar just inside the clamps for the lower windshield, and then will hold up against the lower windshield all the way across just below the edge that mates to the upper windshield. I think I could do that and the problem would be fixed, I think!

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also, when open the top piece flops terribly once you get to a speed above 35-40mph or when on any moderately rough terrain. I am going to try a piece of aluminum "c" channel on the bottom edge with some weather stripping wedged in between the channel and the windshield edge to see if that cures the flopping.

Reactions: Elkhunter
Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed the two piece windshield myself and had the same issue.
Loosening clamps and making small adjustments, I was able to get it to seat pretty well.
I believe the problem stems from slight inconsistencies in the rotomolded dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DRAGFOOT
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here is what I found to work for my problem on the bottom piece. Now if I could just figure something out for the top part.

IMG 4613

Reactions: Corona1
advertisement
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Thanks!
Mine had a brace that screwed to the dash.

LapZ

LapZ

Feb 27, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Myself and my dads rig both have this same issue. His is way worse than mine. We had to space out the lower piece with some washers on his to make it reasonable, now there is a gap on the bottom. Mine, I am just going to put a thicker piece of weather stripping to fill the gap and hope for the best. Seems like the middle mount/brace that goes on the dash needs to be further forward than one thinks. Trouble is now that its on, how do I move it forward because instead of two holes for the push pins to go into, it'll be two slots because I cant go forward enough to get into some fresh plastic without the two holes overlapping. I am open to suggestions.....
I just put mine on and does not seal tight on the right like it does the left, Ive tried every adjustment possible and nothing helps, no problems on my 700 split window. Maybe because its wider, who knows. Let me know what you do for thicker weather stripping, I'm brainstorming ideas

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I don't know if this will help or not ,but I have the 1/2 windshield on mine and made a windshield out of 1/4" lexan to fit above it,I used a piece of 1/4" aluminum U Chanel on top and bottom to stiffen it, got it at Menard,$8.00 for 8 feet, they call it plywood edging. I put rubber tape on the edges of the windshield then tapped the Chanel on,I can tow it on the trailer at highway speed with no bowing

Reactions: Ridem32
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Honda two piece windshield also and it too has a bow in the bottom half. I wound up adding some washers between the center support and the windshield. Couldn't get it all out though, if I did the weather stripping would move lose it's seal against the body.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just put mine on and does not seal tight on the right like it does the left, Ive tried every adjustment possible and nothing helps, no problems on my 700 split window. Maybe because its wider, who knows. Let me know what you do for thicker weather stripping, I'm brainstorming ideas

Does it have anything to do with where the clamp is positioned in relation to the grab handle on the right side maybe? That's all I can think of. Mine fits well on each side, but like I posted above, I had to space out the center. Now its just the upper half that flops like crazy. I even tried aluminum "c" channel along the bottom edge and it didn't really help much.

Reactions: Elkhunter and LapZ
JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also, when open the top piece flops terribly once you get to a speed above 35-40mph or when on any moderately rough terrain. I am going to try a piece of aluminum "c" channel on the bottom edge with some weather stripping wedged in between the channel and the windshield edge to see if that cures the flopping.
Mine flops when shut so I put a strip of 1/2" pipe insulation on the bottom for a bigger seal. Adjusted the top to fit the larger seal and no more flapping.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine flops when shut so I put a strip of 1/2" pipe insulation on the bottom for a bigger seal. Adjusted the top to fit the larger seal and no more flapping.

That seems like an inexpensive thing to try, Thanks for the tip!

H

HondaTech

When installing these it's easy to push the center of the lower part in too far so the center support mounts up even with the dash. Most guys makes sure the mount is flush with the dash and dont pay attention to the bow in the windshield. Try loosening the lower clamps and shoving up on them. You'll more than likely have to tighten them to the point that they almost wont snap together again, but it should help with the bow in the lower piece.

Honda accessories have a 1 year warranty from date of purchase unless otherwise stated.

DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
When installing these it's easy to push the center of the lower part in too far so the center support mounts up even with the dash. Most guys makes sure the mount is flush with the dash and dont pay attention to the bow in the windshield. Try loosening the lower clamps and shoving up on them. You'll more than likely have to tighten them to the point that they almost wont snap together again, but it should help with the bow in the lower piece.

Honda accessories have a 1 year warranty from date of purchase unless otherwise stated.
Now, how do we fix the crappie flop of the top piece when it's open?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!