Honda wheel spacer issues

D

DAXTALONX

Apr 29, 2020
Evansville, in
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hey everybody! New to the group here! Here’s my baby so far! Many plans to come yet! I hate to bring up stuff of the past but was wondering if anybody else has had the same issue. So I did my researches from here actually on which wheel spacers I should order to be able to run a 5+2 all the way around and most said 1.5”. So that’s what I ordered in. However when I installed them they were still noticeably narrower in the rear and I even rolled back and forth as well as sat in the bed to make sure my suspension settled. I went ahead and ordered 2” but still don’t think that’s going to be wide enough. Anybody else have this issue?
F81C6F6D F56C 4297 99BD 4D0A02A846F3

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from the Motor City 🤟

nice looking Ride you have there. If you need spacers try @RB3offroad there one of our venders and we like to support them. I don’t have a Talon yet just a P1K5 so maybe one of those guys will chime in to help you out.

Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

Dec 22, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have to ask the obvious questions. Did you only install spacers on the rear? Did you measure the width on the front and rear with a tape, or just eyeball it?

Reactions: Blownzuki
D

DAXTALONX

Apr 29, 2020
Evansville, in
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have to ask the obvious questions. Did you only install spacers on the rear? Did you measure the width on the front and rear with a tape, or just eyeball it?
Yes I only put the spacers in the rear. It was a pair of rough country 1.5”. I didn’t actually tape measure the rear but you could stand and tell. Plus I stretched a string from the front tire middle to rear and you could tell on both sides it angled inward towards the rear.

D

DAXTALONX

Apr 29, 2020
Evansville, in
Ownership

1. Talon X
You changed your wheel offset and went with the same size tires all around so the rear is now narrow. Take the spacers off the front. Usually 1" spacers on the back make the track equal.
I only put a set on the rear. I knew the trackin was different from the mounting plates to begin with. It’s one of the biggest “WHY THO?!?!” I have for Honda. The rzr is the same and you can just run with it. I just installed the same offset and same tire on my buddy’s at the same time and it looks even and like it was meant to be.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you run the same tire/wheel all the way around, you must install a 40 mm (approx 1.5") spacer on the rear to even up the width. Since you have done that then you should be fine. Here are some suggestions.

1. Visually verifying ("eyeballing it") is the absolutely worst way to determine if they front and rear are even, especially if the toe is off.
  2. Using a string is almost as useless as visual. If your toe is exactly 0 then the string method will give you an idea but still not accurate.
  3. Make sure the suspension is fully settled. Drive forward and back at least 25 feet and don't use the brakes to stop, just let it come to a stop by itself then measure and make sure you are even front to rear.
  4. Before you measure anything, center your wheel and set your toe. Talons are notorious for the steering wheel not being centered to the steering rack so make sure the wheel has the same turn lock to lock, left to right. If not, center the rack and then remove and center the wheel. Then set your toe to 0. You will most likely need to re-center your front wheels/tires at this point because they were centered to a non-centered rack.
  5. Now measure (with a measure tape) front and rear width. They should be within 1/4".

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Hey everybody! New to the group here! Here’s my baby so far! Many plans to come yet! I hate to bring up stuff of the past but was wondering if anybody else has had the same issue. So I did my researches from here actually on which wheel spacers I should order to be able to run a 5+2 all the way around and most said 1.5”. So that’s what I ordered in. However when I installed them they were still noticeably narrower in the rear and I even rolled back and forth as well as sat in the bed to make sure my suspension settled. I went ahead and ordered 2” but still don’t think that’s going to be wide enough. Anybody else have this issue?View attachment 199866

or you can just run it with the rear slightly narrower........

Works great on my talon.......

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
just asking the Obvious question. You did buy 1.5" each and not 1.5" total width (3/4" each).

D

DAXTALONX

Apr 29, 2020
Evansville, in
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you run the same tire/wheel all the way around, you must install a 40 mm (approx 1.5") spacer on the rear to even up the width. Since you have done that then you should be fine. Here are some suggestions.

1. Visually verifying ("eyeballing it") is the absolutely worst way to determine if they front and rear are even, especially if the toe is off.
  2. Using a string is almost as useless as visual. If your toe is exactly 0 then the string method will give you an idea but still not accurate.
  3. Make sure the suspension is fully settled. Drive forward and back at least 25 feet and don't use the brakes to stop, just let it come to a stop by itself then measure and make sure you are even front to rear.
  4. Before you measure anything, center your wheel and set your toe. Talons are notorious for the steering wheel not being centered to the steering rack so make sure the wheel has the same turn lock to lock, left to right. If not, center the rack and then remove and center the wheel. Then set your toe to 0. You will most likely need to re-center your front wheels/tires at this point because they were centered to a non-centered rack.
  5. Now measure (with a measure tape) front and rear width. They should be within 1/4".
I’ll have to do that either when I get it back from the shop or deal with slightly wider rear end. Which I will take over being more narrow in the rear end. I did already purchase a set of 2” as well as fill out a return form for the 1.5”. I did roll it back and forth some and It didn’t seem like it did much. But again I could have been doing something wrong there still. I will have to see how long my return window is or deal with it like I said. I don’t know how long mine will be in the shop as I am dropping it off to Abernathy’s right now.

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from the Motor City 🤟

nice looking Ride you have there. If you need spacers try @RB3offroad there one of our venders and we like to support them. I don’t have a Talon yet just a P1K5 so maybe one of those guys will chime in to help you out.
Sorry we have been really busy. We can help you. Call me at 480-389-7486

GA-TALONX

GA-TALONX

Oct 13, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Daxtalon; Did I by chance hear you say you ordered the 1.5” spacer but didn’t really like and was gonna order the 2”. If that’s the case, I would be interested in the 1.5”. I only need a pair as my rear is a bit narrower but I have been riding like this for over a month.

D

DAXTALONX

Apr 29, 2020
Evansville, in
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have not touched shock preload from factory setting. Im in a s***ty spot because my buggy is in the shop atm and I have the 1.5” I want to retest to see if I did something wrong due to the fact that everybody says that’s the one I need. I have a set of 2” ordered as well but they haven’t even shipped. It’s so tempting to cancel my return request and second order and just make the ones I have work

GA-TALONX

GA-TALONX

Oct 13, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you change your mind, please let me know... thanks man

D

DAXTALONX

Apr 29, 2020
Evansville, in
Ownership

1. Talon X
Oh BTW, your rig is SWEET!!
Hey thank you! It’s a work in progress as always they are but I’m stoked with it so far! I do have 1.5”on hand and a set of 2” ordered but I’m really quite tempted to cancel my return request I started as well as the2” order due to it sounds like I have something out of whack or didn’t let the shocks settle because that’s what everybody else is running. Mines no different than the others lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!