P500 Hopes for 2018 model...

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure the 2018 will go up another $500 to $1000 if they make any significant changes.. Especially diff lock. I think they kinda of already lost their price point. $8500 new was pretty enticing. $9000 now. Get up to $10,000 and you have a lot of options for SXS.

I bought the P500 for a number of reasons, but I nearly pulled the trigger on a Yamaha Wolverine also, new @ $9500.

What I'd really like to do it make some +2 a-arms and driveshafts with some nice shocks and lots more travel. I've made suspension from scratch for the SAE Baja competition back in college but now I don't have the facility/tools.

\
Would be really nice to have this option (+2 a-arms and driveshafts with some nice shocks and lots more travel).

advertisement
C

Curtis

Apr 9, 2017
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I came to this forum in a similar situation, where I was/am researching the Honda P500, and found this forum. I was eager to get one since after this past hunting season. Just I was all ready to get one, when a deal came up on a nice used boat, like I've been looking for, that I couldn't pass up, so I bought it. Now I am taking a little time, to put the moneys back together, since I'm not wanting to finance this purchase.

So, I have had the same question, on what possible changes are coming for the 2018 P500? My first impression of the P500, was that I really like the compact size, and the idea of control of the transmission, and shifting gears, when I want. The only deal breaker for me, was the fact that it doesn't have a bed! That is one of my favorite features of SxS's in general, but it has none.

After researching here and on the internet everywhere, seeing what others have done with custom bed ideas, boxes, toolboxes, baskets, etc, I can see where this is no longer an obstacle for me, and I think I have that part covered. About that time, I was debating between the 2016 leftovers, and the 2017, with the new AT/MT transmission options, I was unsure again. At this point, most 2016 models are gone, and I've had a chance to test drive the 2017, with the AT/MT options, and I think I like the ability of having both.

So here is where I stand now. Do I buy one soon, or at this point, at least wait for the announcement of changes to be made on the 2018 models, before I pull the trigger on my P500. I'm thinking this may be my best option, since my timeline is to have one, before next hunting season in fall. I'd like to give myself a little time to have the accessories and modifications done, before hunting season though.

I'm thinking I may wait for the changes in 2018, to be made public, before I buy. I'm guessing that will be in mid summer, maybe someone can give a better prediction though? I'm starting to think it's going to be minimal changes though. Possibly just color changes as mentioned. At this point, I'm not sure if a factory bed is ever going to be in the works, as it seems, people have so many preferences and like the flexibility of what they want to do with the rear rack.

Good luck with yours!

I was looking into some changes from 2016 to 2017 units now I'm putting a bug question mark on the 2017 it has the great option of the AT and MT but the gearing is slightly higher than the 2016 for some reason I'm big on torque myself so I'll have to find out more on the low end of the 2017 plus I've found some 2016 units for 7600 lol just a 1000 less than the 2017

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was looking into some changes from 2016 to 2017 units now I'm putting a bug question mark on the 2017 it has the great option of the AT and MT but the gearing is slightly higher than the 2016 for some reason I'm big on torque myself so I'll have to find out more on the low end of the 2017 plus I've found some 2016 units for 7600 lol just a 1000 less than the 2017

Yea, I had the same concern, about the gearing difference myself, because I'm wanting to run 27" tires. However, since researching a little, I have seen people running 30" tires on the 2017, so I'm thinking it will still have plenty of torque. I went from 25" to 27" on my Foreman 500, and can't really notice a power loss. I know it's different gearing, and all, but I think if you stay with tires 27" and under, the torque will be fine.

On the other hand, if you find a deal good enough on a 2016, and your not committed to the AT/MT option, I'd jump on it!

C

Curtis

Apr 9, 2017
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Yea, I had the same concern, about the gearing difference myself, because I'm wanting to run 27" tires. However, since researching a little, I have seen people running 30" tires on the 2017, so I'm thinking it will still have plenty of torque. I went from 25" to 27" on my Foreman 500, and can't really notice a power loss. I know it's different gearing, and all, but I think if you stay with tires 27" and under, the torque will be fine.

On the other hand, if you find a deal good enough on a 2016, and your not committed to the AT/MT option, I'd jump on it!

Yea I had my foreman 2006 500 with 29.5 outlaws and no problem with torque loss just twisting off at the u joint. I looked at the price 2016 out the door 8085$ 2017 8650$ I think the 17 will be better deal I think to upgrade the shocks on the 16 like the 17 has will cost more than the difference between the two units

Reactions: lonewolf
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am new to the forum. I don't own a pioneer or any sxs yet. I have 2000 recon 250 that I got a year ago, clean and well cared for. I'm a fan of atvs more than sxs however I have a 4 year old autistic son that loves rides on the atv but he is getting big and is a hand full to hold onto. I've been eyeballing the 500 for a while lately. I'm not ready to buy yet so that brings me into what r possibilities for 2018 year improvements/additions? I've been reading on here quite a bit, lots of good info. Thanks

There might be a new model Honda SxS announced sometime between April 18th and May 15th for 2018, I know there is some ATV info going public on the 18th, nothing exciting unless a total surprise gets revealed. The 2018 SxS info however has been possibly pushed out a few weeks from the 18rh as Polaris is revealing 2 new high end RZR to compete with Maverick X3's, odd they chose April 18th when they usually do June or July 1st as well as Dec. 30th for new model reveals. Whether this is an attempt to steal Honda's thunder on the expected SxS announcement on that same date is curiously coincidental or conspiracy. You be the judge, but now in the high stake game of hold em Honda is letting Polaris show their cards, then Honda may call, raise or fold with their info in early May as it is now. Interesting times, next 30 days may be interesting.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I'm not holding my breath for anything this year except color updates. Oh and maybe a 700 LE.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!