P500 Hopes for 2018 model...

SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am new to the forum. I don't own a pioneer or any sxs yet. I have 2000 recon 250 that I got a year ago, clean and well cared for. I'm a fan of atvs more than sxs however I have a 4 year old autistic son that loves rides on the atv but he is getting big and is a hand full to hold onto. I've been eyeballing the 500 for a while lately. I'm not ready to buy yet so that brings me into what r possibilities for 2018 year improvements/additions? I've been reading on here quite a bit, lots of good info. Thanks

Reactions: 500oneer
advertisement
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I came to this forum in a similar situation, where I was/am researching the Honda P500, and found this forum. I was eager to get one since after this past hunting season. Just I was all ready to get one, when a deal came up on a nice used boat, like I've been looking for, that I couldn't pass up, so I bought it. Now I am taking a little time, to put the moneys back together, since I'm not wanting to finance this purchase.

So, I have had the same question, on what possible changes are coming for the 2018 P500? My first impression of the P500, was that I really like the compact size, and the idea of control of the transmission, and shifting gears, when I want. The only deal breaker for me, was the fact that it doesn't have a bed! That is one of my favorite features of SxS's in general, but it has none.

After researching here and on the internet everywhere, seeing what others have done with custom bed ideas, boxes, toolboxes, baskets, etc, I can see where this is no longer an obstacle for me, and I think I have that part covered. About that time, I was debating between the 2016 leftovers, and the 2017, with the new AT/MT transmission options, I was unsure again. At this point, most 2016 models are gone, and I've had a chance to test drive the 2017, with the AT/MT options, and I think I like the ability of having both.

So here is where I stand now. Do I buy one soon, or at this point, at least wait for the announcement of changes to be made on the 2018 models, before I pull the trigger on my P500. I'm thinking this may be my best option, since my timeline is to have one, before next hunting season in fall. I'd like to give myself a little time to have the accessories and modifications done, before hunting season though.

I'm thinking I may wait for the changes in 2018, to be made public, before I buy. I'm guessing that will be in mid summer, maybe someone can give a better prediction though? I'm starting to think it's going to be minimal changes though. Possibly just color changes as mentioned. At this point, I'm not sure if a factory bed is ever going to be in the works, as it seems, people have so many preferences and like the flexibility of what they want to do with the rear rack.

Good luck with yours!

sgerksinwi

sgerksinwi

Sep 24, 2016
WISCONSIN
Ownership

1. 500
I can't say a lot of the options for the 18's.
But I would like to say that you are thinking about your son safety..
The P5 with seat belt,roll cage,safety nets would make the P5 a winner!!
Good luck on the purchase whatever you decide.
[HASHTAG]#Keepurkidssafe[/HASHTAG]

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Only one improvement that most desire is front diff lock. Just wait for until Fall 2017. I bought mine in 2015, so far it got me where I wanted to . With track system Im working on now, might get me even further. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jshell3
W

Waldo

Mar 11, 2017
Galveston, Tx.
Ownership

1. 500
Front diff lock?? What about the rear? Or does the rear lock also and I didnt know it?

SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks guys. I figured the diff lock was a big one. And as that as safety the nets will be nice. He likes to wave his arms around. And having a power geared/slow tip speed will be nice so people don't get crazy( as in my oldest son).

Reactions: sgerksinwi
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Front diff lock?? What about the rear? Or does the rear lock also and I didnt know it?
The rear is always locked. I just came back from Brimstone and followed about 15 RZR 1000's and a few Can Am 1000's and I only went around two short uphill off camber rut filled trails because I hit a big rock with one front tire and could not get over it. One of the Can Am's flipped over when he hit it. I was considering trading it or selling it before this trip, but to be really honest I asked this thing to do a LOT more than it was ever intended to do, and it impressed everyone that spent 3 times as much. Seriously, this rig with air shocks up front and 30" tall skinny tires will run about 9k +/- and it can park right next to a $30,000 RZR on top of that hill.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Highly doubtful that they will add a front diff lock. The 500 shares the front diff with the 700, and although the 700 has a diff lock, there physically is not room for it on the 500. The diff lock extension would make for a right axle that's about 6-8" long :eek:

Reactions: ohanacreek and lee
gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The rear is always locked. I just came back from Brimstone and followed about 15 RZR 1000's and a few Can Am 1000's and I only went around two short uphill off camber rut filled trails because I hit a big rock with one front tire and could not get over it. One of the Can Am's flipped over when he hit it. I was considering trading it or selling it before this trip, but to be really honest I asked this thing to do a LOT more than it was ever intended to do, and it impressed everyone that spent 3 times as much. Seriously, this rig with air shocks up front and 30" tall skinny tires will run about 9k +/- and it can park right next to a $30,000 RZR on top of that hill.

And yours will out last and have fewer repairs !

advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys. I figured the diff lock was a big one. And as that as safety the nets will be nice. He likes to wave his arms around. And having a power geared/slow tip speed will be nice so people don't get crazy( as in my oldest son).

Once you get P500, just change to aftermarket wheels, u can keep same tires, it will add stability and safety .

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am new to the forum. I don't own a pioneer or any sxs yet. I have 2000 recon 250 that I got a year ago, clean and well cared for. I'm a fan of atvs more than sxs however I have a 4 year old autistic son that loves rides on the atv but he is getting big and is a hand full to hold onto. I've been eyeballing the 500 for a while lately. I'm not ready to buy yet so that brings me into what r possibilities for 2018 year improvements/additions? I've been reading on here quite a bit, lots of good info. Thanks

I have buddies that are sitting on the fence wondering the same thing. I don't think they're going to change much with the 500's, they really don't need to. It's small, simple and bullet proof. A locker addition would be nice. I still think lb. for lb., $ for $, these P5's are the best deal out there.

Reactions: 500oneer
W

Waldo

Mar 11, 2017
Galveston, Tx.
Ownership

1. 500
Okay so I understand the rear is locked for sure in 4x4.
What's the status in 2wd. Is it still locked or limited slip?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Consider adding a passenger T bar for him to hold on to, I think someone on this site was making them?? Better floor board protection and a better seat belt harness for younger riders would also be a good thing. Make a helment part of the deal.

W

Waldo

Mar 11, 2017
Galveston, Tx.
Ownership

1. 500
Consider adding a passenger T bar for him to hold on to, I think someone on this site was making them?? Better floor board protection and a better seat belt harness for younger riders would also be a good thing. Make a helment part of the deal.

I have seen the T-bar thing in another post and it looks like a great thing for a passenger.
in the mail today I am expecting Aluminum skid plates and A-arm protectors.
For sure this friday I will be buying Mud Blasters front and rear fender extensions.
I,ve got so much to do and so little time to do them.
My 20 inch light bar is mounted but is not wired in nor have I had the chance to even mount the rocker switches.
I did change the oil and oil filter though. I inspected the air cleaner and its a dirty mess so now I got to clean that air box out and replace the filter. I need to address the gas and differential vent lines...damn I got a lot to do.

SChilla

SChilla

Mar 27, 2017
Soldotna, Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Well, he is on the serious end of autistic. He won't hold on to anything. He has had brain surgeries and he probably wouldn't like a helmet on his head. He has numerous brain tumors. But a good 5 point harness would probably be best.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, he is on the serious end of autistic. He won't hold on to anything. He has had brain surgeries and he probably wouldn't like a helmet on his head. He has numerous brain tumors. But a good 5 point harness would probably be best.

As long as you go up to 25 mph and smooth driving then no need for extra, but if drive aggressively ,then change bench seat to separate sport seats and 4 point seat belt .

RydeAK

RydeAK

Aug 20, 2016
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I'm sure the 2018 will go up another $500 to $1000 if they make any significant changes.. Especially diff lock. I think they kinda of already lost their price point. $8500 new was pretty enticing. $9000 now. Get up to $10,000 and you have a lot of options for SXS.

I bought the P500 for a number of reasons, but I nearly pulled the trigger on a Yamaha Wolverine also, new @ $9500.

What I'd really like to do it make some +2 a-arms and driveshafts with some nice shocks and lots more travel. I've made suspension from scratch for the SAE Baja competition back in college but now I don't have the facility/tools.

Reactions: trigger and solrus
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!