100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had an interesting setup with my military trailers Pintle/ lunette ring mount and locking system . I’m no longer towing those so now I’m looking at ways the keep the ball hitch secure. I just saw this video. What would you recommend?

Reactions: Remington and sharp
L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
100Acre,

Lots of options. If you add a ball lock only and thieves watch youtube, they will just wrap the safety chains around their hitch and leave.

I think some combination of this makes a thief just move along.
  • If you are not moving it and really concerned, remove the wheels
  • add wheel lug locks ($25) and a trailer wheel lock ($40)
  • ball lock and remove the chains - at least make them bring their own!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly insurance.

Seriously a portable cutoff wheel will have both off in less than 2 minutes. All that needs to be done is cutting the opposite side of that cracken box and yank out the pins.

Even a sawzall with some Milwaukee torch blades will slice that Knox lock box off in less than 5 minutes. Down cut across the tabs, or hinges and a cheater bar.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If im worried about it i run a grade 80 chain through the wheel and around the axle. Just keeps an honest man honest. If someone wants it bad enough theyll get it no matter what .

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a dump trailer that I keep in some “sketchy” parts of town. I use a Reese hitch lock (probably not the the best choice) and park the trailer in as tight against something as I can to where it can’t be easy to hitch and go without having several maneuvers to get it out. Once the trailer has trash or construction debris sticking out the top of it I don’t worry about it getting stolen. 1 it’s extremely heavy. 2 they are too lazy to unload it.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Hitch locks or even a really good chain can all be defeated easily with a battery powered cutoff tool. They can cut a square link chain that bolt cutters can't even dent in about 30 seconds. Taking off tires is a PITA and not very practical. Here's what I did. My trailer has a replaceable hitch coupler. It's bolted on. I replaced the bolts with hitch pins like this:

McMaster-carr sells a great selection of them of varying lengths and diameters with clip retention cables etc.

Anyway when I leave my trailer I just pop off the hitch coupler and put it in the truck or take it in my SXS. Its easy and takes about 15 seconds to take it off or put it on. Just to make sure someone didn't have a spare hitch coupler with them that matched, I welded a couple of nubs onto the trailer tongue and drilled a matching hole in my coupler so the bolts will only line up with my coupler. In order to steal it a thief would have to have a coupler with the same bolt pattern as mine and then modify it to avoid the nubs.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!