Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Just installed a snow plow on my 1000-5 and got to use it the first time today. Light snow but thought it would be a good test run!

Looking for tips, tricks, how-tos for a newbie as I have no idea what I am doing....

Path, straight or angled, how fast to go, what gear, how far to lower, how to deal with gravel easement, what about next to garage, etc...

Dockman

Dockman

Lifetime Member
Jul 5, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just installed a snow plow on my 1000-5 and got to use it the first time today. Light snow but thought it would be a good test run!

Looking for tips, tricks, how-tos for a newbie as I have no idea what I am doing....

Path, straight or angled, how fast to go, what gear, how far to lower, how to deal with gravel easement, what about next to garage, etc...

Can you put shoes on it for gravel? Definitely an angle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc and NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I use another piece of Honda equipment. I’ve got the Honda tracked snowblower. Lol.

When I did use a blade on my small tractor though...angled was best.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Always plow in low. Don't plow in diff lock. I usually do a strip down the middle then angle to each side. Like the other guy said put it all down wind if you need to. Clear extra wide so it doesn't pile up later. Put a little weight in the back for traction. Think through a plan before you start.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4 - 600 hp Idaho Norland snow blowers and a 16 man fleet of plow trucks, blades, loaders, dump trucks, sand trucks, de - icers, dozers and snow cats. 24/7..
I hate snow now. Moving on, sorry, Coues
Lol we have had maybe 12" total in last 3 years last good one was in 01 we got 20"

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4 - 600 hp Idaho Norland snow blowers and a 16 man fleet of plow trucks, blades, loaders, dump trucks, sand trucks, drivers, dozers and snow cats. 24/7..
I hate snow now. Moving on, sorry
I feel your pain. 20 years of opening our road, full size snow cat, couple of small blowers on Bobcats subcontracted loaders and graders with vplows and wings.......told the neighbors your on your own this year. The welfare plowing has ended. Probably spent north of $150k the last twenty years for our business access and had the cheapskate neighbors chip in a whopping $3-$4k during that period. Boy do they get b****y when you don't plow.

To the OP. Plow angle and stack down wind. If you think the powing is wide enough double the width to stack snow that will accumulate over the season. Plan ahead for places to stack snow! Realize your first couple of seasons are a learning curve as to how you plowing will effect drifting. It is easy to not plan for future snow accumularion and end up with a narrow trench that fills with snow constantly and overwhelms your equipment. Than your stuck having to use a blower everytime the wind blows. It is easy to think your on top of things, than the snow level gets over the surrounding bush and changes the dynamic channeling blowing snow for what seems to be miles away into your plowed area at alarming rates. BTW I HATE PLOWING!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I blow it into my neighbors yard, not kidding 🤣

20201101 170610

advertisement
Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
Always plow in low. Don't plow in diff lock. I usually do a strip down the middle then angle to each side. Like the other guy said put it all down wind if you need to. Clear extra wide so it doesn't pile up later. Put a little weight in the back for traction. Think through a plan before you start.
That was part of the problem... I just jumped in and plowed for hours... forward, backward, upside down, straight, curved, crooked, bent, this way, that way.... y’all should have grabbed some popcorn!

R

rickoshea

i plow my gravel sloped drive in high /dif locked with camso tracks.once down the center then angled on either side,and i also plow into my neighbors yard,both beside(he disappears for the winter) and across the street,but i also plow his drive so he can't b!tch. 😅 it also requires me to use a craftsman snow blower to get the hard to reach spots my 72" plow can't easily access.i just blow everything into the middle of the drive and push it with the plow.i love plowing,i end up doing alot of the street and a couple of the neighbors drives.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
How about how far down to to put the blade? seems there is a fine line where winch is taunt but down versus loosey goosy.

Right now I’m not running skids.

Reactions: TimG and Backwoods
R

rickoshea

i run my skids about 3/4 of an inch below my blade.i need a thin layer of snow for traction,otherwise it's all ice.i can't go too low or i end up scraping up too much gravel.when i drop the blade i leave slack on the winch cable,it just works for me like that because i pile it in the ditch across from me and it pushes the snow down into it.

Reactions: TimG and Coeus
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We just drive over the s***. Our driveway isn’t bad until snow is gone everywhere else then it’s an ice rink every year in late February-March because it was so compacted. Hate plowing or shoveling so we just deal plus it keeps people off the property😊

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Move down south!!! 🤷‍♂️

😂😂😂😂

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
i plow my gravel sloped drive in high /dif locked with camso tracks.once down the center then angled on either side,and i also plow into my neighbors yard,both beside(he disappears for the winter) and across the street,but i also plow his drive so he can't b!tch. 😅 it also requires me to use a craftsman snow blower to get the hard to reach spots my 72" plow can't easily access.i just blow everything into the middle of the drive and push it with the plow.i love plowing,i end up doing alot of the street and a couple of the neighbors drives.

Just so the OP knows. The tracks change gearing so its much easier to plow in high with tracks. Perfectly acceptable on tracks, just not a good idea on tires.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
love plowing,i end up doing alot of the street and a couple of the neighbors drives.
Why, dear LORD, why can't I have neighbors like this?

It's official, I'm starting a snow plow academy. No tuition, just bring your own equipment! For every mile you clear I'll add 2 hours of free bonus snowblower 201 experience! Unlimited practice conditions available!

Looking out the window at the snow pack in the drive that has accumulated ovef the last 24 hours nonstop.

20190314 100522

advertisement