How many Hams are on here

Are you a licenses Amateur Radio Operator?

• No

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No but thinking about it

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Tech Class License

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • General Class License

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Extra Class License

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Advanced Class

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
R

Riverrunner16

Jul 5, 2020
Kuna,ID
Ownership

1. 700-4
KD7VKW (General Class) here
New 2020 700-4 Owner
Thinking of mounting a Yaesu 2980 in my Side by Side
Anyone have any pics ?..Thinking about a metal roof and NMO 2 meter antenna.

Thanks,
Scott

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
KD7VKW (General Class) here
New 2020 700-4 Owner
Thinking of mounting a Yaesu 2980 in my Side by Side
Anyone have any pics ?..Thinking about a metal roof and NMO 2 meter antenna.

Thanks,
Scott
Depending on the type of trails you ride mounting on the roof is going to quickly damage the antenna. The trees are killer on antennas ... the only spot that i found where i could protect the antenna is hanging it upside down on the back by the Rops... although I would not want to use 80 watts in the current position if someone was sitting in the back seat.

I figured I am better off with a cheaper unit for the sxs due to the risk of water and went with the tyt th-8600 ... 25 watts but still strong enough to hit the local repeaters when on top of the the ridges

R

Riverrunner16

Jul 5, 2020
Kuna,ID
Ownership

1. 700-4
Depending on the type of trails you ride mounting on the roof is going to quickly damage the antenna. The trees are killer on antennas ... the only spot that i found where i could protect the antenna is hanging it upside down on the back by the Rops... although I would not want to use 80 watts in the current position if someone was sitting in the back seat.

I figured I am better off with a cheaper unit for the sxs due to the risk of water and went with the tyt th-8600 ... 25 watts but still strong enough to hit the local repeaters when on top of the the ridges

What do ya mean by "Rops" ?

Reactions: Biteme
Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ki5ijq (kilo india 5 india juliet quebec)Tech license now but will be testing for General in August. I agree with Ragnar 406, roof mounted antennas get hammered on a SXS. Some great mind (on this forum) said SXS's don't like tall antennas and ham radios don't like short ones. Most of the ones that I liked and worked the best were like @Plumber 32 has. They are magnetic and attached to the front bumper. My radio is a roof mounted TYT 8600.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Probably means roll cage. ROPS is a tractor term. It means Roll Over Protective Structure.
Yes, only refer to it as ROPS as that is how honda does as well. Never even heard the term until getting my 1000-5

Reactions: Biteme
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Kc1Igu Tech class and will be forever. I really have no need (or extra cash) upgrade my licence as I can't afford to buy HF equipment. The days of needing a extras lic. to talk around the world are gone. As far as I can see all you need is some DMR or C4fm equipment and you can talk to anyone anywhere and you don't have to wait til the bands are working. I know the old school hams just threw up in their mouths because they don't think its "real" ham radio, and I get it but you have to facw the fact that its here and it works.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kc1Igu Tech class and will be forever. I really have no need (or extra cash) upgrade my licence as I can't afford to buy HF equipment. The days of needing a extras lic. to talk around the world are gone. As far as I can see all you need is some DMR or C4fm equipment and you can talk to anyone anywhere and you don't have to wait til the bands are working. I know the old school hams just threw up in their mouths because they don't think its "real" ham radio, and I get it but you have to facw the fact that its here and it works.
I thought the same but I actually have more fun on HF than I do on any of the other modes/bands/ freq.. something cool about turning on the transceiver in the middle of the night and talking to the British virgin islands or Germany... I do a little digital too but it is not the same. Don't count it out... you can find some really good deals on Used HF stuff. I wish i had the ear for morse code as well

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!