P1000 How to get from RV park to Trailhead

RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a bumper-tow Toy Hauler that I use to transport my Pioneer 1000-5, with a Dually Pickup truck. Works really well - travels down the road nice.

Here's my issue - doing most of my research online, I see that most RV Park's are a trip down the road from the trailhead I want to visit. ( I live in the Seattle area - so I am looking at a day's drive - WA, Oregon, Idaho, N Calif).

So once I get to the RV Park and get setup - in order to go riding, I am left with a few choices to get to the trail-head:
  1. I could drag the camper to the trailhead - would really like to avoid this. Part of the joy camping with an RV is only setting it up once.
  2. I could drive the SxS to the trail-head - and it is 'street legal' in certain counties and areas - but my fear is arriving at a park and finding out the only route to a trail-head is undriveable with the SxS - like a highway or illegal.
So I started looking for places to visit that have a close trail-head - with minimal success.

I also looked into alternate ways to get the SxS to the trailhead - like a bedsled or maybe flat-tow it behind the pickup with a tow bar.

Does anyone have suggestions to either:
  1. Ways to tow a SxS behind the pickup - or how else to get to the trailhead without moving the RV. I was thinking maybe a tow dolly that would fold up and fit in the bed of the pickup - or something like that.
  2. Suggestions for SxS friendly RV Parks, which seem to be in much more abundance on the east coast, but no so much around here.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club!
I would suggest calling the campsites close to the trails you want to visit and see what is common for their attendees.
If you choose to drive your SXS on the road, make sure you have the proper ATV/UTV plates and any other permits that may be required for the trail system.

Most Police are real people and decent human beings. If they pull you over, be polite and treat them with respect. Explain why you are driving and hopefully they send you on your way.

Reactions: ChadD and swsebek
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a bumper-tow Toy Hauler that I use to transport my Pioneer 1000-5, with a Dually Pickup truck. Works really well - travels down the road nice.

Here's my issue - doing most of my research online, I see that most RV Park's are a trip down the road from the trailhead I want to visit. ( I live in the Seattle area - so I am looking at a day's drive - WA, Oregon, Idaho, N Calif).

So once I get to the RV Park and get setup - in order to go riding, I am left with a few choices to get to the trail-head:
  1. I could drag the camper to the trailhead - would really like to avoid this. Part of the joy camping with an RV is only setting it up once.
  2. I could drive the SxS to the trail-head - and it is 'street legal' in certain counties and areas - but my fear is arriving at a park and finding out the only route to a trail-head is undriveable with the SxS - like a highway or illegal.
So I started looking for places to visit that have a close trail-head - with minimal success.

I also looked into alternate ways to get the SxS to the trailhead - like a bedsled or maybe flat-tow it behind the pickup with a tow bar.

1. Ways to tow a SxS behind the pickup - or how else to get to the trailhead without moving the RV. I was thinking maybe a tow dolly that would fold up and fit in the bed of the pickup - or something like that.
  2. Suggestions for SxS friendly RV Parks, which seem to be in much more abundance on the east coast, but no so much around here.
I don't know the laws in Washington, but in some states you can you can get a permit to tow double trailers. If you can tow a second trailer behind your toy hauler to get to your camp site, then use the trailer to haul to trail head.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know the laws in Washington, but in some states you can you can get a permit to tow double trailers. If you can tow a second trailer behind your toy hauler to get to your camp site, then use the trailer to haul to trail head.

The lead trailer needs to be a fifth wheel or gooseneck style trailer to do this legally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The lead trailer needs to be a fifth wheel or gooseneck style trailer to do this legally.

Here's a spreadsheet with the state by state info for double trailer towing, including some other useful info.

Edit - recreated the document so Google's Excel viewer wouldn't screw it up... should be more viewer friendly now.

Last edited:
D

DDDonkey

On my last truck I had a diamond back truck cover the I could load one sxs or 2 ATVs on. They are expensive but might work for you, let us know what you figure out.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's a spreadsheet with the state by state info for double trailer towing, including some other useful info.

Thats somewhat confusing it seems like Alabama allows it then says it does not.

This 2009 Graphic is sadly the most up today info I can find.
6a00d83451b3c669e2010537089bd1970b 800wi

I ran across a Class A diesel pusher with 20k miles on it yesterday that needs roof work. Its a steal if its body is somewhat solid and I was considering a dbl tow but as of a phone call this morning Alabama for sure does not allow it, so its a 30' enclosed to carry the Pioneer and Explorer.

Also Alabama requires a CDL if your trailer and truck GCWR is over 26000, doesn't matter if the Combined weight is only 12k because the trailer is empty or you are not a business. There is a exemption for trailers rated under 10000 if its 9990 it does not add to the GCWR total so your truck could be a F-550 an have a GVWR of 25999 and the trailer have a GVWR of 9990 and it would not require a CDL.

Thing is a RV does NOT require a CDL even if the RV and trailer Combined weight is over 26000 or the GCWR is 50000 it doesn't matter.

Me thinks the last two might be to insure a revenue stream instead of a safety measure.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On my last truck I had a diamond back truck cover the I could load one sxs or 2 ATVs on. They are expensive but might work for you, let us know what you figure out.
Diamond Back is rated for 1600lbs MAX and that includes your weight loading the machine according to Diamond back there is NO wiggle room. There are several over the cab SxS/UTV carriers that are about the same price as a DBack and are rated for 2000-2500lbs. You would need a Dually to meet payload ratings a set of airbags may level it out but don't actually increase load capacity.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thats somewhat confusing
Yeah, it's a bit cleaner looking if you download the file and use excel locally on your computer if you have it. Google's excel viewer kinda messes up the view. I had to piece together info from a pdf file that split pages so you couldn't tell what state some of the info was going to.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not trying to a killjoy or a dick, I have been on the lookout for options to pull a trailer and a SxS safely and within payload/tow ratings.
I keep running into walls caused by weight problems that cutting out biscuits and gravy ain't gonna fix.

Reactions: Plumber32
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, it's a bit cleaner looking if you download the file and use excel locally on your computer if you have it. Google's excel viewer kinda messes up the view. I had to piece together info from a pdf file that split pages so you couldn't tell what state some of the info was going to.

Ok thats cleaner and upon digging AL does in fact require trailers over 3k GVWR to have brakes, but they don't require them to be sold with them only over 5500 GVWR???? Also it says 55mph speed limit but not limited by law other than posted speed limits.

Our State constitution is the longest constitution in the world 3 times longer than the longest nations constitution so theres bound to be plenty of stupid and contradictory state laws on the books as well, Montgomery is all about generating revenue, then epically wasting it like a teenager with a credit card.

Reactions: Landman
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Not everywhere. Wisconsin you can use 2 bumper trailers. Illinois you need a 5th wheel 1st but I believe Indiana, ky, Tenn all let you do 2 bumper pulls

RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Diamond Back is rated for 1600lbs MAX and that includes your weight loading the machine according to Diamond back there is NO wiggle room. There are several over the cab SxS/UTV carriers that are about the same price as a DBack and are rated for 2000-2500lbs. You would need a Dually to meet payload ratings a set of airbags may level it out but don't actually increase load capacity.

Yes - I have looked at some of the BedSled's out there - and they are pricey - I guess I will spend the money if I have to, but it seems a waste to just get a UTV 30 miles down the road.

UTV - SilverLake Manufacturing

I'll look into if it is possible to flat-tow the SxS behind my pickup with a tow-bar - and not do damage to the transmission (or anything else).

RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not trying to a killjoy or a dick, I have been on the lookout for options to pull a trailer and a SxS safely and within payload/tow ratings.
I keep running into walls caused by weight problems that cutting out biscuits and gravy ain't gonna fix.

There is no solution worth cutting out Biscuits and Gravy!

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thats somewhat confusing it seems like Alabama allows it then says it does not.

This 2009 Graphic is sadly the most up today info I can find.
View attachment 64941

I ran across a Class A diesel pusher with 20k miles on it yesterday that needs roof work. Its a steal if its body is somewhat solid and I was considering a dbl tow but as of a phone call this morning Alabama for sure does not allow it, so its a 30' enclosed to carry the Pioneer and Explorer.

Also Alabama requires a CDL if your trailer and truck GCWR is over 26000, doesn't matter if the Combined weight is only 12k because the trailer is empty or you are not a business. There is a exemption for trailers rated under 10000 if its 9990 it does not add to the GCWR total so your truck could be a F-550 an have a GVWR of 25999 and the trailer have a GVWR of 9990 and it would not require a CDL.

Thing is a RV does NOT require a CDL even if the RV and trailer Combined weight is over 26000 or the GCWR is 50000 it doesn't matter.

Me thinks the last two might be to insure a revenue stream instead of a safety measure.

South Carolina requires a non commercial license if your truck or RV weighs more than 26k pounds and a different class if it is 26K or more and pulling a trailer weighing 10K or more. It is essentially the same test as a CDL with a few exceptions:

- no physical
- no pre trip inspection
- no air brake test (even if you have air brakes)
- no test on hours of service

I have the latter class (Class F). When I took the test I had to back my Haulmark motor home and Jeep into a loading dock.

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Come to Idaho. You can ride pretty much every where except on state or federal highways. Your registration from Washington should be good here. There are thousands of miles of roads and trails to ride.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like the flat tow option might be cheapest and easiest.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

R

rooter

Apr 5, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Most states allow you to flat tow you sxs behind your truck on certain roads. Some states allow you to drive your sxs on certain roads near and around riding areas.
What toy hauler do you have that fits you pioneer well?

Reactions: TimG

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!