How to remove road salt grime from motor?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
people from the south wouldn’t believe how much salt and brine is used up here. This is 5 miles after my car wash tonight. There was a threat of 2/10” of ice and 2” of snow yesterday. We got about 1/4” of snow and no ice. They “pretreated” the roads, and today it looked like I was driving down a dirt road with the salt dust being kicked up behind me.

View attachment 321144
Yep! Nasty $hit we deal with. Salt gets in all the cracks and everything when things melt with the salt. If you dont get at it in a timely manor it will distroy your truck. Unfortunately salt in the winter is a way of life up here

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
people from the south wouldn’t believe how much salt and brine is used up here. This is 5 miles after my car wash tonight. There was a threat of 2/10” of ice and 2” of snow yesterday. We got about 1/4” of snow and no ice. They “pretreated” the roads, and today it looked like I was driving down a dirt road with the salt dust being kicked up behind me.

View attachment 321144
yep gotta love living in the north pretty much need a wash once a week

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
To the OP - I just thought of something that may help clean up your engine. I have an ultrasonic cleaner and I read online a while back about using some Simple Green HD (it's actually purple) mixed in the water. Most degreasers will make aluminum dull and dark colored. When I clean aluminum carb parts with this stuff it really brightens it up. Might be something to try. I think I got it at Home Depot

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Try “Awesome” cleaner from Dollar General or your hardware. Use in spray bottle, pretreat, nylon brush, pressure wash off. The stuff works. I use it under play car at end of season and for lawn equipment, siding, degreaser, hand wash. It’s very inexpensive in gallon bottles or can be had in spray bottles.

advertisement
M

MVH

Aug 29, 2018
MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I had this applied to my new truck, I didn't think about using it on my PK5

Reactions: Buggyman

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!