I almost regret buying a SXS

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nearly three years ago, my wife and I decided we would buy a fifth wheel toy hauler with the intentions of buying a SXS our family of 5 could enjoy outdoors. Just over one week ago, we finally got our SXS, a 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (Only model that would fit in our toy hauler and carry all 5 of us).

We live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington; it's a beautiful place with all kinds of hills, forests, rivers, lakes and the like. After we putted around our 1 acre lot and some adjoining undeveloped land, we decided to trailer our machine and go find somewhere new to ride. Everywhere we went, the trails are limited to 50" or narrower machines, with one exception. There is a 4x4 area about 45 minutes away. But I have never been an offroader in that capacity. Plenty of dirtbike experience, but never anything that big. All of the trails in the 4x4 area are rutted out and I drag my plastic OEM skid plate along the ground the entire way. The trails have some fairly technical obstacles and they're clearly meant for jeeps.

It's extremely frustrating that I paid over 20k on a machine that I really can't ride anywhere. I wish I would have done more research on where there was to actually ride, I might have opted for a couple larger 4 wheelers instead.

Sorry.... rant over.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nearly three years ago, my wife and I decided we would buy a fifth wheel toy hauler with the intentions of buying a SXS our family of 5 could enjoy outdoors. Just over one week ago, we finally got our SXS, a 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (Only model that would fit in our toy hauler and carry all 5 of us).

We live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington; it's a beautiful place with all kinds of hills, forests, rivers, lakes and the like. After we putted around our 1 acre lot and some adjoining undeveloped land, we decided to trailer our machine and go find somewhere new to ride. Everywhere we went, the trails are limited to 50" or narrower machines, with one exception. There is a 4x4 area about 45 minutes away. But I have never been an offroader in that capacity. Plenty of dirtbike experience, but never anything that big. All of the trails in the 4x4 area are rutted out and I drag my plastic OEM skid plate along the ground the entire way. The trails have some fairly technical obstacles and they're clearly meant for jeeps.

It's extremely frustrating that I paid over 20k on a machine that I really can't ride anywhere. I wish I would have done more research on where there was to actually ride, I might have opted for a couple larger 4 wheelers instead.

Sorry.... rant over.
Keep looking for places you can ride and enjoy your new machine. Or sell it and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Sorry.... rant over.
Well......welcome to the club from South FL!
I'm sure as time goes by u'll be able to find some nice places to ride near you. Maybe not in your back yard but a few hrs away? It sounds like you have a nice set up already with toyhauler and P1K5 all you need is to hit the trails. Jeep trails can be really fun in a sxs also, I would however recommend getting a full skid plate. Makes a world of difference. Good luck!

And remember, pics or it didn't happen! 😉

NFA_Fun

NFA_Fun

Aug 22, 2017
Pinetop, Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are the trails on State or Federal land? I am in eastern AZ (White Mountains) and a while back USFS installed several miles of trails that were limited to 50" machines. No one could use them as everyone has "full size" machines. After two years the gates were widened or a bypass installed.

I would reach out to whoever manages the trail system and check with them.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Welcome to the club.
There are a few places to ride not far. Been over that way a couple times. The one you speak of I really liked but it is smaller and somewhat aggressive. A few others not too bad a drive.
@popeye

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Riding in Washington you will be forced to stick to mostly 4x4 trails, there are quite a few of them all within a 3 hour drive for you, assuming you went to tahuya, I would have regrets too if that’s the only place to ride. You should try evans creek next, it the next closest area to the peninsula.

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well......welcome to the club from South FL!
I'm sure as time goes by u'll be able to find some nice places to ride near you. Maybe not in your back yard but a few hrs away? It sounds like you have a nice set up already with toyhauler and P1K5 all you need is to hit the trails. Jeep trails can be really fun in a sxs also, I would however recommend getting a full skid plate. Makes a world of difference. Good luck!

And remember, pics or it didn't happen! 😉

I'm certain you are right. We will keep looking and we are game planning our upgrades and accessories.

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Riding in Washington you will be forced to stick to mostly 4x4 trails, there are quite a few of them all within a 3 hour drive for you, assuming you went to tahuya, I would have regrets too if that’s the only place to ride. You should try evans creek next, it the next closest area to the peninsula.

I'm very familiar with Tahuya; I grew up riding dirtbikes out there every weekend with my dad. We will head out there quite a bit, but being a couple hours away from where we live, it can't be a evening ride destination. My best friend since the 4th grade also has 50 acres that butts up to the Tahuya State Forest so we go out there quite a bit.

advertisement
C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are the trails on State or Federal land? I am in eastern AZ (White Mountains) and a while back USFS installed several miles of trails that were limited to 50" machines. No one could use them as everyone has "full size" machines. After two years the gates were widened or a bypass installed.

I would reach out to whoever manages the trail system and check with them.

I was actually thinking about reaching out to the DNR to talk to them. It would be great to get some amendments made.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm very familiar with Tahuya; I grew up riding dirtbikes out there every weekend with my dad. We will head out there quite a bit, but being a couple hours away from where we live, it can't be a evening ride destination. My best friend since the 4th grade also has 50 acres that butts up to the Tahuya State Forest so we go out there quite a bit.

Anything I can ride is at least 7hrs away. Consider yourself fortunate.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sorry.... rant over.
Put it on 30s with a short lift and slap a Trail Armor or Factory UTV skid on that 1000 and get after it!

9FED7A6D 2122 42D1 9F2D 9DDE45AA52B6

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You need a new governor first.

You're definitely not wrong!
Put it on 30s with a short lift and slap a Trail Armor or Factory UTV skid on that 1000 and get after it!

View attachment 207478

Sounds like a fun solution for sure. That said, I already have to strap it down over the roll cage to compress the shocks to get it to ride safely in my fifth wheel. Not sure what I would do if it were any taller.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're definitely not wrong!

Sounds like a fun solution for sure. That said, I already have to strap it down over the roll cage to compress the shocks to get it to ride safely in my fifth wheel. Not sure what I would do if it were any taller.
A new/taller trailer ....... lol.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!