I almost regret buying a SXS

Bobrhino

Bobrhino

Sep 19, 2018
Arizona & Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It sucks jumping forward only to realize that we may have jumped too far! Dirt bikes, SXS’s, toyhaulers, Jeeps etc are a HUGE investment to most of us. Sometimes without complete and factual research we all make make mistakes. Don’t sweat it. Lots of other areas to enjoy riding your new found recreational hobby. Reach out with dragging your RV a little further each trip as necessary. Heck, I moved from Central Oregon years ago to enjoy more trails and open space, never looking back. Maybe getting as far away from Seattle/Portland rain and craziness would be a blessing? Best of luck.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also for what it is worth a friend got this email from a forest ranger this last January, it’s in regards to sxs being legal on national forest lands on the dirt roads between the trails
66278ebc27f92cecfcd94291130023bf

RMG

RMG

Mar 27, 2017
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ride all the time on the other side of the peninsula. Out by Kalaloch. There is a small city park in Clearwater you can stay, and then there are fire/logging trails all over the forest.

advertisement
rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Chop the cage is an option.
What he said. Also welcome to the Club from Central Florida. I saw my first chopped cage a few months ago and it looked cool and allowed the owner to load it into his toy hauler. It's a P500 and he knew he was going to have to chop it when he bough it. His only complaint was he could not find a full windshield to fit without paying for a custom built one. He runs a half windshield and said it wasn't bad if it wasn't to cold or raining. He is also looking at having a full one cut down. He did have a mod I haven't heard of before. He glued a piece of foam to the under side of the roof as a joke for a tall friend.

D

DrRob

May 17, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nearly three years ago, my wife and I decided we would buy a fifth wheel toy hauler with the intentions of buying a SXS our family of 5 could enjoy outdoors. Just over one week ago, we finally got our SXS, a 2020 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (Only model that would fit in our toy hauler and carry all 5 of us).

We live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington; it's a beautiful place with all kinds of hills, forests, rivers, lakes and the like. After we putted around our 1 acre lot and some adjoining undeveloped land, we decided to trailer our machine and go find somewhere new to ride. Everywhere we went, the trails are limited to 50" or narrower machines, with one exception. There is a 4x4 area about 45 minutes away. But I have never been an offroader in that capacity. Plenty of dirtbike experience, but never anything that big. All of the trails in the 4x4 area are rutted out and I drag my plastic OEM skid plate along the ground the entire way. The trails have some fairly technical obstacles and they're clearly meant for jeeps.

It's extremely frustrating that I paid over 20k on a machine that I really can't ride anywhere. I wish I would have done more research on where there was to actually ride, I might have opted for a couple larger 4 wheelers instead.

Sorry.... rant over.
I have a Honda pioneer 1000-5 and live in WA. Trails at 49 degrees north are excellent

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have a Honda pioneer 1000-5 and live in WA. Trails at 49 degrees north are excellent
That’s up by Calispel Creek. Got pulled over one time in our ol 700 for apparently having too much light the night before. We we’re actually trying to be mellow lol. They are thick up there.
8EC86771 E8A8 4200 86CD 2AF013F6E32E

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Closest USFS OHV trails 25 minutes away also is 50 inch restricted so went with a P500. Wish Honda would make a 50 inch machine with larger engine, a little Talon would be nice, 1000cc. P500 struggles on hilly trails.

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You're definitely not wrong!

Sounds like a fun solution for sure. That said, I already have to strap it down over the roll cage to compress the shocks to get it to ride safely in my fifth wheel. Not sure what I would do if it were any taller.
Could you air down the tires? A LOT?

Reactions: rtn001
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What does the back of your TH look like? Do u have pics with the door down? If you have secondary beds up, put them down and you’ll pull that beauty in easy. Another option is to remove some air from your tires to drop it a few inches. Don that before too.
26A846C4 05FE 4F1B BD4D 9CC42FF1316F

C

CWhitmarsh

May 29, 2020
Port Angeles, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What does the back of your TH look like? Do u have pics with the door down? If you have secondary beds up, put them down and you’ll pull that beauty in easy. Another option is to remove some air from your tires to drop it a few inches. Don that before too.
View attachment 208346

That's a nice setup. My rig has the happy jack bunk bed system so the roll cage touches the vertical braces under the bottom bunk. I'll snag a picture when I load it up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That's a nice setup. My rig has the happy jack bunk bed system so the roll cage touches the vertical braces under the bottom bunk. I'll snag a picture when I load it up tonight or tomorrow morning.
I have a bed that's at the top the ones on the sides are a bed/loveseat. Many people that have them, are not aware that they fold to there sides. I was hitting the top like u when I left them up

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!