BOX1

Multi I did the "fuel pump recall" myself.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
This is the pump recall for 2019 models:
There is a video in that link.

A while back there was talk that this might be extended to 2020 models (since dismissed by @HondaTech's rep ). In light of something that happened on my last ride (a random stall with no explanation) , I opted to order the replacement parts.
Part # 06160-HL3-305. I ordered this from a place called TRI county Honda for $63 bucks and it showed up in a few days. This replaces parts inside the existing module. The whole module is like $180 from someplace like RMATV, but I was concerned that one of the faulty pumps may have been sitting on a shelf somewhere. To me, this was the best way to ensure I got the updated pump.

Im surprised at what all came with this for $63:

IMG 20210719 1809506494

1. Pump module lock ring.
2. Pump module seal.
3. Pump sub harness.
4. Fuel line QD clip and safety collar.
5. Fuel pump O ring.
6 & 7. "E" clips.
8. O ring spacer.
9. The pump itself.

The inns and outs of the module are covered in the link above, and I didn't take pics of getting to the module simply because I was in a hurry.

On the 700, the right side under seat panel must come off, which means removing the battery and ECM along with some wire clips. I had to remove the left side as well to allow this due to some "custom heat shield" retainers. Honestly, this makes up most of the time needed.

In light of the "lock ring tool", which I've only seen in blurry, out of focus photos, I used the traditional punch and hammer to remove the lock ring. To me, this was the hardest part with the tank in the machine. If you choose to use this method, remember that you are working on a PLASTIC gas tank, so watch where you chisel. It's tight in there on a 700 for hammer swings, so you 500 guys might find it easier to pull the tank or buy the lock ring tool.
I also put a little grease on the lock ring contact points to make it easier to rotate into place...and it will take a good whack with the hammer/chisel to get it in place.

Obviously, you will want this area as clean as possible, and pebbles WIll be stuck around the lock ring. Keep everything as clean as possible, and DON'T DRY RUN the new pump out of curiosity or whatever.

The other area of concern is the clips on the module body where the procedure uses "special tools". One of these is a regular old tab, but the other two are kind of a Trident shape, wherein the center tab must lift out, while the outer points squeeze in under the center tab, and the whole thing lifts up. I used zip ties under the center while squeezing the outers, and lifting just enough to keep them retained, while working the whole thing up. Be VERY CAREFUL with these.

All in all, on a stock 700 at least, you could probably do this in a 1-1.5 hours of straight work.

Last edited:
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
In light of the "lock ring tool", which I've only seen in blurry, out of focus photos, I used the traditional punch and hammer to remove the lock ring.

I keep a brass drift for anything around the gas tank that needs beat on.
Probably end up blowing my self up anyways one day but brass on steel doesn't spark.

GrayRider

GrayRider

May 27, 2020
Pleasant Grove, Alabama
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes for the steering and I called dealer to make appointment and I was told about the fuel pump recall. I had to pay $50 because I had the hard back panel with sliding window and the mechanic had to take it out so he could get to fuel pump.

Reactions: Fischer
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!