P1000 I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000. Its been a great machine but recently started running rough.

M

mlukart

Sep 19, 2017
Greensburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000. Its been a great machine but recently started running rough, almost seems like its starved for fuel. The condition is much worse in cold weather, when I am using it to plow snow for instance. Gas in the tank is fresh, no water. My guess is its a fuel pump issue. I am thinking about purchasing a replacement fuel pump from Quantum Fuel Systems (Quantum Intank EFI Fuel Pump Honda Pioneer 1000 (SXS-1000) / 1000-5 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020, Replaces Honda 16700-HL3-A02, 17574-HR3-A21) but wondered if anyone has a suggestion for any other trouble shooting I should do before going straight to the replacement.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi, Welcome to the community.
How many miles do you have on it?

Before the fuel pump, I would investigate the fuel injector plugs and the IACV. Both are known for the wires breaking inside the insulation and causing issues as you mention. You can test these by lightly pulling on the wires while running.

Usually, a broken injector will work for a short distance then stop.
The IACV's job is to control the idle speed. Like a choke.

Not many people have had fuel pump issues. But there have been some reports of rusted units from sitting at low tank for a long time.

M

mlukart

Sep 19, 2017
Greensburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi, Welcome to the community.
How many miles do you have on it?

Before the fuel pump, I would investigate the fuel injector plugs and the IACV. Both are known for the wires breaking inside the insulation and causing issues as you mention. You can test these by lightly pulling on the wires while running.

Usually, a broken injector will work for a short distance then stop.
The IACV's job is to control the idle speed. Like a choke.

Not many people have had fuel pump issues. But there have been some reports of rusted units from sitting at low tank for a long time.
Thanks for the suggestion. Can you tell me a bit more detail about the IACV? not sure what that is.

Reactions: Isaiah and TxDoc
M

mlukart

Sep 19, 2017
Greensburg, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you changed plugs lately? If not try that.
No, I haven't but bought new plugs today and figured I would try that first. I do ALOT of short drives, 5-7 minute episodes and heard it can be hard on the plugs.

Reactions: Isaiah

58oldman

Jan 30, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for accepting me. I recently purchased a Honda Pioneer 1000 sxs. When purchased the owner said it has a slight ticking noise and said it was a minor repair. I took it to a a repair shop to have a overall checkup. The repair man said Removed all necessary plastic and covers: air box :took off valve cover and checked valve clearance. All intake and exhaust bakers were out of spec. Removed cam, tensioner, and made intake valve adjustments with shims. Reinstalled cam and made exhaust adjustments. Changed oil and filters, and spark plugs. Checked trans fluids , differential fluids and replaced air filter. Checked suspension components. Upon firing - still had ticking issue noise. Rechecked valve x2. Restarted engine same noise. With further investigation he believes the noise is not the valve train. Said noise would go away under load thinking possibly in clutch area. Anyone else have any issues???? Want to add this has always been worked on at a Honda shop. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: TimG and Isaiah
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks for accepting me. I recently purchased a Honda Pioneer 1000 sxs. When purchased the owner said it has a slight ticking noise and said it was a minor repair. I took it to a a repair shop to have a overall checkup. The repair man said Removed all necessary plastic and covers: air box :took off valve cover and checked valve clearance. All intake and exhaust bakers were out of spec. Removed cam, tensioner, and made intake valve adjustments with shims. Reinstalled cam and made exhaust adjustments. Changed oil and filters, and spark plugs. Checked trans fluids , differential fluids and replaced air filter. Checked suspension components. Upon firing - still had ticking issue noise. Rechecked valve x2. Restarted engine same noise. With further investigation he believes the noise is not the valve train. Said noise would go away under load thinking possibly in clutch area. Anyone else have any issues???? Want to add this has always been worked on at a Honda shop. Thanks in advance.
Start another thread and you will be more likely to get help.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
And some pics so we can see what your working on! That goes for the OP on this thread too!

Welcome From the winter wonderland of Michigan!

Reactions: TimG and Isaiah

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!