Yeah I’m coming from an 06 foreman so it’s gotta be better than that! Lol
I guess you’re right. Worst case I just buy them later and replace. Thanks

J

Johnnyb

Oct 7, 2018
Mass
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hate the fox shocks, and am looking for an improvement. If the ride height is set correctly it rides like crap, and when I get them to ride good, I'm bottoming out my machine and the shocks. I have elka 3 on my wheeler. Do these seem to keep the height up and still ride good?

Reactions: Smitty335
TI722

TI722

Feb 26, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
I hate the fox shocks, and am looking for an improvement. If the ride height is set correctly it rides like crap, and when I get them to ride good, I'm bottoming out my machine and the shocks. I have elka 3 on my wheeler. Do these seem to keep the height up and still ride good?
I've had my Elka on for close to a year now. 4 trips to Ride Royal Blue/Tackett and all kinds of riding around here. No issues at all. Wish I would have went that way from the beginning, Guess that's what I get for trying to go cheap.

E

Ethan

Sep 20, 2018
Tucson
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have the Elka stage 4 and finally got them where They are handling the load that I carry. When I ordered them and told them all my added weight the sent them with 300#springs front and back. Fronts were too stiff and rears were bottoming out. They sent me 275# fronts and 350# rears. The fronts were perfect but the rears I still had to have preload collar half way down the shock tube and was still bottoming out. I got 400# rears now and just got them installed and they are perfect. Can hit bumps hard with no bottoming and the ride is great. I know the Fox’s springs do start to sag after some use. My brother has them and is having the same issue as you are with them. I know there were some posts on here that guys got another brand spring and a higher weight to fix the ride height.

DA246CCA 4266 4FD3 9C39 41BE90EA39FC

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
3 seater or 5 seater? How much you want for the fox shocks?

B

Big daddy

Apr 22, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone heard of moose or bronco gas shocks? Around $200 a piece. Are they any better than the stock oil shocks on the pioneer 1000-5

Reactions: ehart814
sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
I am interested in the Elka 3's. Being in Canada the price difference is only about 20% more than the QS3's (unless I found a great deal on QS3 takeoffs).

I am likely 50/50 on the work trail. Work would be slow over bumpy pasture. Trail would largely be fairly groomed, but I would like the ability to bounce over some rough terrain from time to time. I think with the QS3s, I quickly figure out which setting I liked the most for each scenario, and then it would be a quick switch depending on what I am doing. I worry with the Elka's that my OCD would kick in, and every damn ride I'll be adjusting them, which will drive my wife mad.

advertisement
TI722

TI722

Feb 26, 2019
IL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Other Brand
I am interested in the Elka 3's. Being in Canada the price difference is only about 20% more than the QS3's (unless I found a great deal on QS3 takeoffs).

I am likely 50/50 on the work trail. Work would be slow over bumpy pasture. Trail would largely be fairly groomed, but I would like the ability to bounce over some rough terrain from time to time. I think with the QS3s, I quickly figure out which setting I liked the most for each scenario, and then it would be a quick switch depending on what I am doing. I worry with the Elka's that my OCD would kick in, and every damn ride I'll be adjusting them, which will drive my wife mad.
I wouldn't worry about it to much. I have the Elka 3 on front and 4 on rear. When we are around home I keep them about 4 clicks in and when we head to the trails down in TN or KY I just adjust them in a depending on how rough the trails are. I have had to add a little preload to the rear bc we carry a bit more stuff around down there but it doesn't take to long to back them off a couple turns when we get home. I love the extra adjustment. Around home is all easy trails and road riding and making every day adjustments is a waste of time IMO.

sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
I wouldn't worry about it to much. I have the Elka 3 on front and 4 on rear. When we are around home I keep them about 4 clicks in and when we head to the trails down in TN or KY I just adjust them in a depending on how rough the trails are. I have had to add a little preload to the rear bc we carry a bit more stuff around down there but it doesn't take to long to back them off a couple turns when we get home. I love the extra adjustment. Around home is all easy trails and road riding and making every day adjustments is a waste of time IMO.
That is good to know and makes me feel better.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the 814's. They eliminated the bottoming out but were still to stiff. 814 sends 350# front springs and 400# rears. I'm down to 300# front and 350# rears now. There's a good ride coming up Friday and I'll have a chance to evaluate the combo. If its still to stiff, I'll find some 275# springs for the front and put the 300# springs on the back. I haven't lost any ride height yet, so I'll see how it goes. There's nothing wrong with the dampening on the 814's, they just ship them with too heavy springs. After reading some of the other posts, doesn't look like the Fox shocks on the LE have the right springs either.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went with the 814's. They eliminated the bottoming out but were still to stiff. 814 sends 350# front springs and 400# rears. I'm down to 300# front and 350# rears now. There's a good ride coming up Friday and I'll have a chance to evaluate the combo. If its still to stiff, I'll find some 275# springs for the front and put the 300# springs on the back. I haven't lost any ride height yet, so I'll see how it goes. There's nothing wrong with the dampening on the 814's, they just ship them with too heavy springs. After reading some of the other posts, doesn't look like the Fox shocks on the LE have the right springs either.
For those of us that pack light, the springs are too stiff but when you're loaded down with 4 guys they work great. The huge payload swing of a Pioneer is really hard to nail 1 size fits all

Reactions: toddvdh
R

rickoshea

what works best for me is 15 clicks .dead center.then i go up or down from there.full soft when my tracks go on and maybe up to >25 if i'm running fire service roads.the great thing about elkas is you can adjust to the weight you're carrying on the day you're riding.you don't have to settle for good enough (qs3).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!