PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was looking for options on the I4WD - now that people have been running them for a while, what is the overall impressions? Any time it let you down? Not as good as a locker? Better than other systems? What are the likes and dislikes? Good, bad, indifferent, lets hear it...
Almost 2000 miles on mine and I have done a variety of terrains from trails, dunes and some pretty gnarly rock crawling on some 8 ranked trails at Sand Hollow. I have seen video of 3 other Talons doing the same at Sand Hollow with similar results.

Although the machine does not drive/react the same as my previous locker and took some getting used to, it has worked flawlessly for me and not left me stuck or wanting more.

My 2 cents is that if it is good enough for the Talon Race Team and finished KOH, it is good enough for me!!!

And before any of you question what the race team is using, I contacted Jeff Proctor (the owner of the race team) and he in fact verified the i-4WD and brake system on the race Talons are 100% stock.

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I could be wrong but my guess is the Talon will sooner or later have a locker. Either stock or after market. Just because a machine finishes a race does not mean it performed as well as others. there certainly has been many thread questioning/discussing the I4WD.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
A couple just competed in KoH, guess they aren't either?!? :D

They're just trying to get through the trail, they want to keep momentum. If they are starting to spin they're probably going to try a new line or pull cable. It's all about the war, not the battle.

The instances I've had mine let me down were very high traction, trying to climb a ledge while the rear tires were in sand. Or trying to hold a line over a large v crack.

Not exactly what honda had in mind I'm sure.

I would like to see similar options to the P1k. Where only the fancy models have I4wd and the rest are selectable. Front and rear selectable would be awesome. 😁

Reactions: Mudwing
J

JTW

This is like asking which brand pickup is better. Those that have I-4WD and are happy with it will tell you its good. And several who have full lockers and zero experience with I-4WD will tell you its crap.

I have about 3000 miles on both driveline in 2 different P1K's. I like the I-4WD and 95% of the time it is perfect for general trail riding and much easier steering without shifting in and out, just set it and forget it.

If you are into extreme climbing, rock crawling then you will find situations that a full locker will have better performance if the traction is there.

Some people like shifting levers and being engaged in the driving experience and others would rather just drive and not worry about what mode they are in. It is a matter of personal preference. However those that want to proclaim vast superiority of one over the other is just stroking their opinion ego. Both are good systems.
This is pretty accurate... there will be instances where both setups would perform better than the other. The i4wd is I think the best setup for an auto locking front diff. But there will be times where a locked diff would be better, just as there will be times where you wish the diff locked on its own when you’re running in 3wd. There are more electronics involved with I4wd so take that as you will. But so far, I think most have been quite pleased. In my mind the ideal setup would be an i4wd machine that allowed that manual lock when you know you’re going to be crawling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Man I just realized another downside. If you break an axle, you're in 2wd since there is no way for the system to transfer power to the other side.

Not that it would ever allow you enough traction on one tire to break a cv though 🤣

Reactions: highpocket74
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had the manual locker in the 1000-5 and now i-4wd in the talon x2. I will say on the crazy rock crawling hills we do, the pioneer was a better climber for what it was. On the hills you can actually hammer down and go up with speed, then the talon is better. Obviously the talon is a better climber over all for a lot of other reasons as well (tire size, ground clearance, suspension, etc). But personally, I feel like for how I ride (on occasion) my talon would be improved with the manual locking diffs from the pioneer. I would agree though, 95% of the time i-4wd is perfectly fine. For that matter though, 2wd open rear diff was fine 95% of the time on the pioneer, so by that argument my talon might as well not even be 4wd LOL.

J

JTW

Had the manual locker in the 1000-5 and now i-4wd in the talon x2. I will say on the crazy rock crawling hills we do, the pioneer was a better climber for what it was. On the hills you can actually hammer down and go up with speed, then the talon is better. Obviously the talon is a better climber over all for a lot of other reasons as well (tire size, ground clearance, suspension, etc). But personally, I feel like for how I ride (on occasion) my talon would be improved with the manual locking diffs from the pioneer. I would agree though, 95% of the time i-4wd is perfectly fine. For that matter though, 2wd open rear diff was fine 95% of the time on the pioneer, so by that argument my talon might as well not even be 4wd LOL.
There is a perfect machine out there for you...

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Haha, not really. I had a Suzuki samurai on 35s with super crawler gears for a minute but a day in the woods took like 8 years out of your back lol. Where we ride they don't allow plated vehicles on the trails anyway. Also don't allow utvs over 1800 lbs, but I know defender max, pro fx mules, maybe ranger crews and maybe even KRXs are breaking that rule. I think that new yamaha 1000 rmax is real close too.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Actually I have to be honest, the i4wd is phenomenal in that it improves the handling and cornering abilities in the dry, but it kinda sucks in the snow... I keep getting stuck where other machines on similar tires don't. The talon seems to wheel hop badly just doesn't seem to know what to do. Might be the death knoll for it for me.

Reactions: JTW
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Man I just realized another downside. If you break an axle, you're in 2wd since there is no way for the system to transfer power to the other side.

Not that it would ever allow you enough traction on one tire to break a cv though 🤣

Found out that Flat tire on front will disable i4wd also do to difference in speed sensor detection. Once repaired 4wd worked again but the warning light stayed on. Dealer had to turn off.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Found out that Flat tire on front will disable i4wd also do to difference in speed sensor detection. Once repaired 4wd worked again but the warning light stayed on. Dealer had to turn off.
@Lil_Steve How did you handle this when it happened?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

HondaSxS i4WD overide

One of these kits will solve that problem, I have one installed on mine

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Plugged the puncture aired back up. The 4wd started working again immediately but the warning light stayed on. Dealer had to reset the light. That’s kind of a hassle.
I agree. Lil_Steve had the same problem and I'm wondering how he reset the warning light. I don't think he took it in.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I agree. Lil_Steve had the same problem and I'm wondering how he reset the warning light. I don't think he took it in.

Correct. Using a jumper at the service connector I was able to reset the light.

20200113 152759

Reactions: TripleB and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The red plug is the DLC service connector.

Reactions: TripleB
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is like asking which brand pickup is better. Those that have I-4WD and are happy with it will tell you its good. And several who have full lockers and zero experience with I-4WD will tell you its crap.

I have about 3000 miles on each driveline in 2 different P1K's. I like the I-4WD and 95% of the time it is perfect for general trail riding and much easier steering without shifting in and out, just set it and forget it.

If you are into extreme climbing, rock crawling then you will find situations that a full locker will have better performance if the traction is there.

Some people like shifting levers and being engaged in the driving experience and others would rather just drive and not worry about what mode they are in. It is a matter of personal preference. However those that want to proclaim vast superiority of one over the other is just stroking their opinion ego. Both are good systems.
I think you said it perfectly. Some people like Ford, others Chevy. Nothing will change their mind- until they need help from the other getting pulled out.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!