Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Actually I have to be honest, the i4wd is phenomenal in that it improves the handling and cornering abilities in the dry, but it kinda sucks in the snow... I keep getting stuck where other machines on similar tires don't. The talon seems to wheel hop badly just doesn't seem to know what to do. Might be the death knoll for it for me.
Yeah, my Talon with i4wd sucks in the snow in the Rockies, but my Pioneer 1K5 (with locking diff) does also. I’m just thinking I won’t be able to hit the trails when there’s more than 6” of snow...

Otherwise, I really like the i4wd....

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yeah, my Talon with i4wd sucks in the snow in the Rockies, but my Pioneer 1K5 (with locking diff) does also. I’m just thinking I won’t be able to hit the trails when there’s more than 6” of snow...

Otherwise, I really like the i4wd....

Yup, i4wd is amazing except in snow and mud, it really just cements the machine as a desert machine.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Yup, i4wd is amazing except in snow and mud, it really just cements the machine as a desert machine.
I’ve got no problem climbing the rocky steeps in New Mexico, even loose rock...and I don’t ride anywhere there’s enough mud to cause me any problems, but occasional deep snow is a problem.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Speak for yourself. Our muskeg and the i4wd do not get along. It applies power very choppy to the front tires. If you're trying to just gently spin them while winching or just trying not to dig down they'll spin a few rotations then stop for a second then spin etc. Multiple talons do this so it's not a mechanical thing.

Deep snow it's useless. just causes wheel hop as it cuts and applies power.
Correct. It absolutely has its limitations and it’s not just people b****ing.....🙄

That’s why the club store is selling a i4WD delete and there’s companies making lockers for the Talon now.....

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Correct. It absolutely has its limitations and it’s not just people b****ing.....🙄

That’s why the club store is selling a i4WD delete and there’s companies making lockers for the Talon now.....

Huh. Interesting. Do you know much about how to i4wd delete works? Does it just become full time 4wd then? Open front diff?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Huh. Interesting. Do you know much about how to i4wd delete works? Does it just become full time 4wd then? Open front diff?
I think so, but no, I’m not certain but plan to find out soon as Richard just sent me the plug and play harness for about $30.00

I’m also planning on having PaulF install lockers for me...👍

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Speak for yourself. Our muskeg and the i4wd do not get along. It applies power very choppy to the front tires. If you're trying to just gently spin them while winching or just trying not to dig down they'll spin a few rotations then stop for a second then spin etc. Multiple talons do this so it's not a mechanical thing.

Deep snow it's useless. just causes wheel hop as it cuts and applies power.
Have you tried thoroughly bleeding your brakes (both front and rear)? I was experiencing some wheel hop and bleeding the brakes made a big difference for me. If there is any air in the system, the brake motor takes too long to apply brakes to the spinning wheel and you get what I refer to as "hunting" and can cause wheel hop and choppy power application to the front tires.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You get rear and "3 wheel" drive. The delete applies the front diff clutch without turning on the i4WD system. The system is not aware that the diff clutch is applied. When applied, you are 3 wheel drive because the Talon front diff is basically open.

I think a better solution will be the i4WD override/bypass. It allows the use of i4WD but you can flip a switch when needed and have 3WD for those times i4WD is causing you problems. Hess sells it but it is WAY overpriced ($125) in my opinion.

Reactions: McCarthy
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the below kit. You can wire it to a off/on switch giving you 3wd.
Then, you can turn on i4wd if you like and still use it as designed. If i4wd goes into fault mode, You will still keep 3wd unlike factory.

M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have you tried thoroughly bleeding your brakes (both front and rear)? I was experiencing some wheel hop and bleeding the brakes made a big difference for me. If there is any air in the system, the brake motor takes too long to apply brakes to the spinning wheel and you get what I refer to as "hunting" and can cause wheel hop and choppy power application to the front tires.

Never thought of that, I will try it. Thank you!

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
The bleeding helped mine. I did it about month after bought 2019 and when took to dealer to have done, mechanic thought I was crazy. He humored me, but afterwards he drove it and agreed it helped. Before I did it, in sand washes it was better in 2 wheel than 4 wheel, now way better in 4.

Reactions: Udaman and CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

Never thought of that, I will try it. Thank you!
Maybe this is why there are some of us who think it works as intended and some who have trouble? Mine has worked flawlessly from day 1. I do get some gear whine but that is an entirely different issue unrelated to the i4WD system but I have worked that out so it's as quiet as it can be given the finish on the front diff gears.

Reactions: CID
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've never had an issue with deep snow, I routinely drive up the mountains in spring to see how far I can get, and the i4WD does fine until I'm sitting on the skidplate. I note the elevation, back out, and go play elsewhere until the trails open all the way to the top. I don't see much deep mud though, so far what I've run across always has a firm bottom a few inches down.

Reactions: Farmer
M

McCarthy

Aug 13, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I've never had an issue with deep snow, I routinely drive up the mountains in spring to see how far I can get, and the i4WD does fine until I'm sitting on the skidplate. I note the elevation, back out, and go play elsewhere until the trails open all the way to the top. I don't see much deep mud though, so far what I've run across always has a firm bottom a few inches down.

Me thinks there's something to the brake bleeding thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmer
D

DMack762

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2021
South Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon R
So, here is my input on i-4WD on our 2021 Talon 1000R Live Valve.

I'm a new Side by Side owner, this Talon is our first. But, we are life long Jeepers, and have had several built Wranglers with Lockers over the years. Our current 2006 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (LJR) is no exception.

We are in South Carolina, and still have the OEM tires / suspension on it, but have a lot of add on products, making it a bit heavier than OEM. Having said that, we bump our bottom all the time when we ride.

I have adopted the habit of riding in LOW gear 95% of the time, transmission on Auto, and using the paddles to upshift / downshift as needed. The factory OEM tires have more than surprised me. As we approach a line where it's rutted out, or if it's very muddy, I flick the 4WD button, and just go. We've hit ruts where one side of the buggy is in the air, and the i-4WD has not left us stranded yet.

To be fair, we are not rock bouncing, or headed into terrain that would require a true differential locker. But, I have followed RZRs and Can Ams through things that make my newbie status get checked. I've put our Talon through stuff that if I had been alone, I would not have attempted. This thing pulls / climbs like a Goat... which made me nickname it "Lil' Goat".

So far, I have not been stuck... granted, I have also not buried it to the frame either. I'm highly impressed with it. Now to move to the 32" XTR370 tires and gain a wee bit more clearance.

Just my honest .02 worth.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Mine just wheel hops and gets stuck in snow, drives me nuts. Me thinks there's something to the brake bleeding thing.
Have you done the bleed....?

Reactions: Blownzuki
JS45

JS45

Jul 23, 2020
Fla
Ownership

1. Talon R
Man DMACK i want to see videos with some tires in the air going through ruts!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmer and CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!