P1000 Ice fishing rigs

VTbarn1

VTbarn1

Nov 9, 2020
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-2
I believe the area I mounted my fish finder is ideal for how I plan to use it. It doesn’t interfere with my rider vision or placing my coffee mug. I bought a cheap used one online for $80. I used a RAM system to mount it to my siezmik door frame and plan to keep this mounted there all winter. The display can be removed in 10 seconds while leaving everything else in place.
The transducer cord is about 15’ long and you can just throw it in a hole outside the door with cord being held around a cord spoil mounted to the pioneer. There is a 1/2” gap at the bottom of the door, so you can just close the door and fish out the window.
I also use a portable lowrance elite 5 gps w/ice pack when I want to bounce around on foot. I hope this helps and am genuinely interested in seeing what systems other people are using. 🍻Cheers!
Thank you for the details, it certainly does help! I'll post some pictures once I get mine set up.

L

Lapcinski

Oct 27, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
Ice Fishing Minnesota so far ....ice sucks! I did get out, I have a Helix mounted inside although because of the ice I have been unable to put it to good use. I will say that the back up light from the Honda Club Store is awesome! It helps a ton get packed up in the dark.

30C49AE4 36B7 4972 B97D D9298D0A5AB9 8091B3D2 6A52 4AC2 8A93 72DD56EC9BBD E00DBA17 B71B 42DE 96F4 9B0C4F8401DC

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ice Fishing Minnesota so far ....ice sucks! I did get out, I have a Helix mounted inside although because of the ice I have been unable to put it to good use. I will say that the back up light from the Honda Club Store is awesome! It helps a ton get packed up in the dark.

View attachment 248327 View attachment 248328 View attachment 248330
Nice to see you out on the ice ! Be careful it’s not looking like normal good ice year here in SD.
This happened today a few mi north of my house. I know the area well.

Unless there is a drastic drop in temps and real good ice buildup I’ve already started putting away my ice fishing gear. The ice is just to thin for this time of year.

looking forward to a quick spring and already making early off road camping plans.

L

Lapcinski

Oct 27, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
Nice to see you out on the ice ! Be careful it’s not looking like normal good ice year here in SD.
This happened today a few mi north of my house. I know the area well.

Unless there is a drastic drop in temps and real good ice buildup I’ve already started putting away my ice fishing gear. The ice is just to thin for this time of year.

looking forward to a quick spring and already making early off road camping plans.
I have been very cautious. Haven’t been able to go where I have wanted. Mild temps continue. How thick of ice do you feel safe on? Good ice I mean.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been very cautious. Haven’t been able to go where I have wanted. Mild temps continue. How thick of ice do you feel safe on? Good ice I mean.

I no longer have my flip over, I sold it last year .

I also don’t have tracks....not worth the cost for the few times I could need them.

I pull my converted aluminum trailer out last year on 10” between the Honda and trailer a total of ~5000 lbs.

8DAF22BA 3E71 495F BAEA A52A2211997B

Right now ice is 6” or so...and these 35f sunny days make me nervous....I haven’t even fired my auger up yet.

R

rickoshea

i just found out my wife has taken pity on my tennis elbows and got me an ion gen 2 electric auger,and an eskimo insulated 3 person hut and a couple new rods to go along with them.how great is she? i think i'll keep here around a little while longer.

Reactions: Lady01
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i just found out my wife has taken pity on my tennis elbows and got me an ion gen 2 electric auger,and an eskimo insulated 3 person hut and a couple new rods to go along with them.how great is she? i think i'll keep here around a little while longer.
Nice!

I’m still rockin a jiffy 4 lite propane. I just bought all new Dewalt 20v tools...a K-Drill is pretty popular here...keep thinking of getting one and selling the Jiffy.

Many using. K-drill up your way?

R

rickoshea

most are using the old school gas augers,but many are going to the electric augers because it's too cold to not have an ice hut.ice gets really thick in the dead of winter here.hut goes up before the hole gets drilled.i got those 20v tools for my upper shop where i keep the honda.i like my 18v tools way better.shure they're heavier but the torque is better.

Reactions: Vikes79 and Lady01
N

NBPioneer1000

Jan 19, 2021
NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Highly recommend this adaptor plate for you cordless drill. So much easier to control the torque and not have to worry about loosing the auger through the hole you just cut!

Clam 109935 Drill Auger Conversion Kit: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors
I'm not particularly a fan of amazon, and I'm not encouraging buying it from here, just an easy web site to see the reviews from...

H

Honda_Dave

Apr 8, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is a great set up. I mounted a couple of Kolpin Rhino Grip claws on the front bumper and that holds my auger, freeing up the bed. I love the idea of hanging the Eskimo popup from the roll cage. I'll be doing that going forward. Also, lots of lights...it gets darker than people think when you're out on the ice away from city lights.

Last edited:
H

Honda_Dave

Apr 8, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My plan is to get the front receiver mount just like you have and increase my carrying capacity. How solid does the carrier feel? Does that front receive mount only to the front bumper?

M

Mobius396

Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2019
Muskego, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It does mount to the front bumper only. It's pretty solid though. I hit a drift the other day and caught some air. I thought the auger would launch, but it was fine. I'm really happy with it.

DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you crappie fishermen use a bobber or just a straight line when fishing with minnows? Bare hook or jig? Obviously, I'm struggling to catch some.

20210228 102111

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you crappie fishermen use a bobber or just a straight line when fishing with minnows? Bare hook or jig? Obviously, I'm struggling to catch some.

View attachment 257696

It’s been a while since I did any ice fishing, but we would use all of the methods you mentioned at different times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01 and DAV11
H

Honda_Dave

Apr 8, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a spring bobber since you have to change depths so frequently as the fish move through. Makes it easy.

Reactions: Lady01 and DAV11
NorthernExpo

NorthernExpo

Aug 15, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 257696
Your auger is too old... haha jk. I start by finding the school. A lot of times they circle around a piece of structure like weeds or sunk trees. Then start with a buckshot rattling jig/minnow to attract the active ones in the area. If they attract but don’t bite, I’ll start downsizing from minnows, to minnow heads, to wax worms, to tungsten jigs, to dead sticks. When the fishing is slow be sure to diversify your approach and make use of all the legal amount of lines you can have. If that doesn’t work, dynamite will do the trick, haha jk again.

DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your auger is too old... haha jk. I start by finding the school. A lot of times they circle around a piece of structure like weeds or sunk trees. Then start with a buckshot rattling jig/minnow to attract the active ones in the area. If they attract but don’t bite, I’ll start downsizing from minnows, to minnow heads, to wax worms, to tungsten jigs, to dead sticks. When the fishing is slow be sure to diversify your approach and make use of all the legal amount of lines you can have. If that doesn’t work, dynamite will do the trick, haha jk again.
When I retired and moved to Minnesota a friend of mine said he had an auger he rarely used. I'd never been ice fishing before, so now I have an old auger. First couple of times out I was watching other fishermen with the battery operated augers and quickly learned how slow mine was. One of these years I'll upgrade. Thanks for the fishing tips.