P1000 Ice fishing rigs

NorthernExpo

NorthernExpo

Aug 15, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can’t believe nobody has started a thread specifically for the ice fishing rigs. Here’s what I’ve got going so far. Looking to build an ice auger rack. Maybe in the box... Maybe on the tailgate... Idk.

3E928BAF 356C 481A 807A 3288D1597AF0 D6CAE3D3 3399 4E2F 8F85 EDBFED527B9E 8FE5252A C48E 47EC B43D 126FA87C11E8 EA9E47E5 3958 44CF A934 55EAB367F9D1 1289F3F1 87E4 406D 9A63 A64C54130AB0

NorthernExpo

NorthernExpo

Aug 15, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Lady01 and wrhii
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I did to my rig a few years ago.

Ive since sold the flip over shack and converted my 7x14 aluminum enclosed trailer to a ice shack. I use the P1k5 to pull it out.

I’ve also added lights ( just recently) and better tires.

2BE5643B BF08 48F9 8310 F0AEBBB668E992FA9C65 40F5 4889 92AD 8FB258D7C840052376E2 3587 4532 BD3E 5362E10840C2
Outside of tracks like what @rickoshea has, theres not much more I’ll be doing to mine.

Last edited:
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nice to see someone is thinking ahead. I have run my little Recon on the ice but our winters the last few years have been warm and ice thickness has been marginally safe so I have no desire to go swimming. I went thru the ice years ago in AK and it wasn't a positive experience that I care to repeat. Is anyone using chains on the Pioneers?

R

rickoshea

chains no,tracks yes.they ( displace?) weight from 5 lbs per sq in. to something like 0.5 lbs per sq in,so i'm technically ok to ride on the ice at around 5 inches if i dare,but last winter the lake thickness was far over the drill auger bit i use to test the thickness.by january there were 1 ton trucks driving up and down the lake.i have a set of chains for mine but have never used them.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice to see someone is thinking ahead. I have run my little Recon on the ice but our winters the last few years have been warm and ice thickness has been marginally safe so I have no desire to go swimming. I went thru the ice years ago in AK and it wasn't a positive experience that I care to repeat. Is anyone using chains on the Pioneers?

I’m a former firefighter/ first responder. I’ve worn the Gumby suit and trained in ice water rescue.

I take it seriously, such that I’ve ditched the coveralls for a nice Striker flotation suit (bibs and jacket). I keep my ice picks on me at all times.

Tracks are best like @rickoshea has, but they are expensive too.

In 3 years with my 2018 base eps P1k5, I have not been limited in any way when pulling out my flip over shack with just tires. I also don’t have chains or cables either.

Last year I finally converted my enclosed trailer and pull it out. The base tires leave a bit to be desired when pulling my trailer out in 1’ of crusted over hard snow. When I updated to a set of deluxe bighorn take offs the difference in traction is crazy better in snow.

I really don’t care for being on the ice when it’s less than 8”.

NorthernExpo

NorthernExpo

Aug 15, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m a former firefighter/ first responder. I’ve worn the Gumby suit and trained in ice water rescue.

I take it seriously, such that I’ve ditched the coveralls for a nice Striker flotation suit (bibs and jacket). I keep my ice picks on me at all times.

In 3 years with my 2018 base eps P1k5, I have not been limited in any way when pulling out my flip over shack with just tires. I also don’t have chains or cables either.

Last year I finally converted my enclosed trailer and pull it out. The base tires leave a bit to be desired when pulling my trailer out in 1’ of crusted over hard snow. When I updated to a set of deluxe bighorn take offs the difference in traction is crazy better in snow.

I agree that good gear is definitely worth the extra price. I also wear a Striker floating suit (my wife insisted) and I found being comfortable adds to the overall experience (mind blowing, I know).

Some of my best fishing trips have been over early ice. I agree, people need to take ice conditions seriously each time they go out and also learn to read ice quality. I’m sure you know the difference between clear, cloudy, hard, soft and fast grown ice(ice under a lot of pressure). If you’re not sure, just keep your machine along the shoreline where early ice is thicker and then just hike out to your spot.

I think most people only need to chain up when pulling their large heavy ice castles around the lake. People may want tracks if they are frequently crossing ice pressure ridges or operate in heavy snowfall areas.

I’ve spent a lot of time over the ice and zero time under it. I hope I can keep that going.😁

NorthernExpo

NorthernExpo

Aug 15, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
13B01DCE 530E 469C BE24 8B090546A7CC

I found out why nobody has needed to build an auger rack. The pioneer is a bit wider than a lot of other machines. This will be the first ice season on this machine and I hadn’t tried the obvious yet.
🤯

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 234030
I found out why nobody has needed to build an auger rack. The pioneer is a bit wider than a lot of other machines. This will be the first ice season on this machine and I hadn’t tried the obvious yet.
🤯

Yup, that’s how I lay mine out.

When I had my flip up, I had everything organized such that the propane bottle stayed in the Honda and all I had to do was run the hose to the heater and fire it up.

The shovel and auger were in in the back of the Honda too.

Pull up, auger my 4 holes, shovel off the ice, clean the holes. Pull the hose for the heater, flip, the shack and get your fish on!

I got rid of my flip over as I found my self just fishing out of the Honda, or just using tip ups.

L

Lapcinski

Oct 27, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own
I agree that good gear is definitely worth the extra price. I also wear a Striker floating suit (my wife insisted) and I found being comfortable adds to the overall experience (mind blowing, I know).

Some of my best fishing trips have been over early ice. I agree, people need to take ice conditions seriously each time they go out and also learn to read ice quality. I’m sure you know the difference between clear, cloudy, hard, soft and fast grown ice(ice under a lot of pressure). If you’re not sure, just keep your machine along the shoreline where early ice is thicker and then just hike out to your spot.

I think most people only need to chain up when pulling their large heavy ice castles around the lake. People may want tracks if they are frequently crossing ice pressure ridges or operate in heavy snowfall areas.

I’ve spent a lot of time over the ice and zero time under it. I hope I can keep that going.😁
what did you guys do to seal up your cab? especially the stick shifts?

Reactions: Lady01
L

Lapcinski

Oct 27, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Do not currently own

[/QU
you think 8 inches is pretty safe for these bad boys?

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It really doesn’t matter what I think. It’s what you’re comfortable with.

Reactions: Lapcinski
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

In my previous link you can see how I used a truck tailgate seal on the doors.

for the gaps on the roof I use some 4” square foam blocks stuffed into the joints.

On the shifter I purchased a dash kit from @Montana to help slow down the wind.

NorthernExpo

NorthernExpo

Aug 15, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I notched out a large pool noodle to wedge in the gap above the mid-panel:

Attached automotive weather stripping around the factory doors:

Shoved foam backer rope between the roll cage and the fabric that wraps around it to shim any gaps closed around the upper door jam.

I'm still waiting to have an epiphany to address the shifter knobs. I'm not yet sold on any surface mounted solutions I've seen so far. I may make a fabric/rubber/vinyl style boot and mount it behind the dash to keep a clean look.

VTbarn1

VTbarn1

Nov 9, 2020
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-2
View attachment 234030
🤯
Do you know if the bed width is the same on the 700-2 so I can do this also?

Thanks, vtbarn

VTbarn1

VTbarn1

Nov 9, 2020
Vermont
Ownership

1. 700-2
I can’t believe nobody has started a thread specifically for the ice fishing rigs. Here’s what I’ve got going so far. Looking to build an ice auger rack. Maybe in the box... Maybe on the tailgate... Idk.

View attachment 232881 View attachment 232882 View attachment 232883 View attachment 232884 View attachment 232885
Nice! I am also thinking of mounting a depth sounder/gps on my dash so I was interested in where you placed yours (has that location proven to be best?) and how you deploy the transducer. Does the metal arm mount onto something? Do you sit in the driver's seat with the door open after everything is set up?

Thanks, vtbarn

NorthernExpo

NorthernExpo

Aug 15, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you know if the bed width is the same on the 700-2 so I can do this also?

Thanks, vtbarn
I believe the 700 is a little narrower than the 1000-5 and my Jiffy model 30 fit pretty snug. It may depend on the model of auger you have. I’d imagine they vary a few inches.

Reactions: Lady01 and VTbarn1
NorthernExpo

NorthernExpo

Aug 15, 2020
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice! I am also thinking of mounting a depth sounder/gps on my dash so I was interested in where you placed yours (has that location proven to be best?) and how you deploy the transducer. Does the metal arm mount onto something? Do you sit in the driver's seat with the door open after everything is set up?

Thanks, vtbarn
I believe the area I mounted my fish finder is ideal for how I plan to use it. It doesn’t interfere with my rider vision or placing my coffee mug. I bought a cheap used one online for $80. I used a RAM system to mount it to my siezmik door frame and plan to keep this mounted there all winter. The display can be removed in 10 seconds while leaving everything else in place.
The transducer cord is about 15’ long and you can just throw it in a hole outside the door with cord being held around a cord spoil mounted to the pioneer. There is a 1/2” gap at the bottom of the door, so you can just close the door and fish out the window.
I also use a portable lowrance elite 5 gps w/ice pack when I want to bounce around on foot. I hope this helps and am genuinely interested in seeing what systems other people are using. 🍻Cheers!

Reactions: Lady01 and VTbarn1