Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I got the heater installed last weekend.

Of course like a dummy I don’t have and blue Honda smurf juice on hand and nearest source is 60 mi away. I installed the heater any way thinking I won’t spill that much...yeah right.

Long story short, tonight I stupidly think I can start it up and the air will work it’s way out as the radiator and overflow tank are still full. I get the ole girl warmed up and sure enough the temp light comes on. Check radiator temp and it’s ice cold. Then like a dummy I think I can just gently crack the radiator cap and attempt to relieve the air in the system.

Due to the cap being recessed I apply too much torque and boom, smurf juice 6’ fountain!

Luckily I was wearing my winter jacket and gloves and hat.

Maybe I should have read that cap warning closer....
The blue smurf juice is available at Walmart. If they don't have in stock, they can site to store it for free.

J

JTW

So I got the heater installed last weekend.

Of course like a dummy I don’t have and blue Honda smurf juice on hand and nearest source is 60 mi away. I installed the heater any way thinking I won’t spill that much...yeah right.

Long story short, tonight I stupidly think I can start it up and the air will work it’s way out as the radiator and overflow tank are still full. I get the ole girl warmed up and sure enough the temp light comes on. Check radiator temp and it’s ice cold. Then like a dummy I think I can just gently crack the radiator cap and attempt to relieve the air in the system.

Due to the cap being recessed I apply too much torque and boom, smurf juice 6’ fountain!

Luckily I was wearing my winter jacket and gloves and hat.

Maybe I should have read that cap warning closer....
Sounds like a teenage Smurf the first time they get at Smurfette!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: Lady01
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
i just buy pres el for everything, i doubt there is any difference in the one that says honda. except the money the paid them to put the name on it. it says good for asian, american and European models on the back of it

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ran the honda front up on my truck ramps and removed the seat. Bled the air at top of thermostat and topped off. Ran engine till warm, shut off and let cool down. Repeated 3 times.

Can’t believe how hard it is to get the air out of it!

5 mile test run worked great, confident I got it filled right now.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
dex isnt worth the money either, i had a ton of issues with it. all i buy is gms but the dex ruined the lower intake gaskets the wides old bonnie and put holes int he plastic upper intake, turned my moms first impala coolant to brown yogurt sludge that never came out, as well as my first monte(both before 40k). we put a ton of miles on so need the reliably of gm but the first things i do is flush the dex with prestone el and have never had an issue in the engine after that

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the ice finally!

854C9FF5 32EB 4B36 A4AF 11DD62C5E3B8

2751659D 4A14 40ED BC88 01717B6DCB28

595D2CEA F405 4516 BFF3 BA22B38EF808

Factory tires leave something to be desired on the snow covered ice....maybe that will be the next update....

Last edited:
advertisement
H

Hardwaterflyer

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2015
West Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just one line down? Good move the DNR looks at social media too. I assume your allowed two lines anyway. Goodluck. I could be talked out of my 1000-5 Deluxe Camo tires and wheels. They have about 80 miles on them. Bighorns do well in snow.

Reactions: Lady01 and Vikes79
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
nothing really does good in the ice except pics or chains. mud lite 2 is one of the best in deep snow and mud, ride smooth and pretty reasonable for a radial. I paid less than 350 for 27x12s and they are rated for 1k +

20181221 102928
20181117 163056 Burst01

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just one line down? Good move the DNR looks at social media too. I assume your allowed two lines anyway. Goodluck. I could be talked out of my 1000-5 Deluxe Camo tires and wheels. They have about 80 miles on them. Bighorns do well in snow.

In S.D. 4 lines are allowed on the ice per person. 2 on open water. All the other requirements apply.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice fishing setup. After you have been out in the snow give some feedback on how the rear flip-up doors work. I don't have the rear doors but otherwise I have a similar setup with "Eagle" 72" plow. Just interested in how much snow still sneaks in the back. Lots of snow on the way.

Been out a few times now.

More snow comes in from the gaps in the rear doors than any where else.

Overall I’m pretty happy with the performance.

P

Pronghorn1

Oct 22, 2018
Prescott Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great Job! What do Yu mean by flipped the hinge so it would pinch vs wipe?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 99069 I'm starting my build thread late as I figured that the winch, tires, leds etc are covered.

I don’t see many hardwater setups so this is where I’ll start on my base P1000-5 eps.

Borrowing with pride from other builds I have a Honda roof and 2 piece windshield. Also installed: aux batt, led light bar, 5k HF winch, switch panel and spare fuse box, turn signals and horn.

This weekend I installed the factory soft doors, mid and rear panels. Fit and finish is okay...but really lacking for sub zero windy days ice fishing. Can’t say I was impressed with the huge gap at the top of the mid panel and the large gaps in the lower doors. To correct the gaps I used window ac foam blocks for the mid panel and above the front doors on the roof. For the lower doors I used tailgate seals I purchased off eBay. They work awesome! Wipe the plastics with alcohol and apply. I flipped the hinge side so that the bulb pinches vs wiping.

View attachment 99070

View attachment 99076 View attachment 99071 View attachment 99072 View attachment 99073 View attachment 99075 View attachment 99074

I've been thinking of doing something just like this... I'll be curious to see how well the foam around the doors holds up.

Keep us posted!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update:

The rear enclosure works pretty good and keeps quite a bit of snow out.

All the foam and seals have held up great!

I do use an enclosed trailer for transport of my ice shack and utv.

I have found that the auger works best by unloading it via the side door vs the end. Next year I may fab up a auger mount that slides out the side.

The heater is meh at best. My 08 ranger heater was awesome even at -20f as it drew air directly from the cab. I will make this mod next year to my heater, and fully block off the front radiator.

Ice is crazy thick at 25” plus. Way too much snow cover and lakes are dying out. Doubt I’ll make it out any more this year. I’ve not had much luck this year which sucks.

I have found that 2nd low in manual mode fully locked is the best for hopping drifts on the lake ice.

M

MR_509_P1LE

May 19, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 99069 I'm starting my build thread late as I figured that the winch, tires, leds etc are covered.

I don’t see many hardwater setups so this is where I’ll start on my base P1000-5 eps.

Borrowing with pride from other builds I have a Honda roof and 2 piece windshield. Also installed: aux batt, led light bar, 5k HF winch, switch panel and spare fuse box, turn signals and horn.

This weekend I installed the factory soft doors, mid and rear panels. Fit and finish is okay...but really lacking for sub zero windy days ice fishing. Can’t say I was impressed with the huge gap at the top of the mid panel and the large gaps in the lower doors. To correct the gaps I used window ac foam blocks for the mid panel and above the front doors on the roof. For the lower doors I used tailgate seals I purchased off eBay. They work awesome! Wipe the plastics with alcohol and apply. I flipped the hinge side so that the bulb pinches vs wiping.

View attachment 99070

View attachment 99076 View attachment 99071 View attachment 99072 View attachment 99073 View attachment 99075 View attachment 99074
Have you tried the seals on the rear doors?

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update:

The rear enclosure works pretty good and keeps quite a bit of snow out.

All the foam and seals have held up great!

I do use an enclosed trailer for transport of my ice shack and utv.

I have found that the auger works best by unloading it via the side door vs the end. Next year I may fab up a auger mount that slides out the side.

The heater is meh at best. My 08 ranger heater was awesome even at -20f as it drew air directly from the cab. I will make this mod next year to my heater, and fully block off the front radiator.

Ice is crazy thick at 25” plus. Way too much snow cover and lakes are dying out. Doubt I’ll make it out any more this year. I’ve not had much luck this year which sucks.

I have found that 2nd low in manual mode fully locked is the best for hopping drifts on the lake ice.
Are the seals still holding up?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!