Ignition switch removal as additional theft deterrent

W

WGA1

May 15, 2021
Houston
Ownership

1. 500
I have a P500 and I'm thinking of clever ways to prevent it from being stolen. I'm going to leave it at my camp house and want to disable it when I'm not there. I plan to use a wheel lock, but I am also wondering why I can't also just unplug the key switch and take it with me. If I leave the key switch meth heads will probably jam a screwdriver into it anyway and destroy it as they try and steal it. My thought is to just pull the switch out through to dash (if there is enough extra wire) and just let it hang out. That may not look nice but then I could just plug in and unplug the switch when I leave. No way meth heads will have an extra key switch on hand. My camp house is only accessible by boat and local scumbags tend to only have small aluminum boats but nevertheless they will try and load an over 1000 pound SxS on their boat.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have a P500 and I'm thinking of clever ways to prevent it from being stolen. I'm going to leave it at my camp house and want to disable it when I'm not there. I plan to use a wheel lock, but I am also wondering why I can't also just unplug the key switch and take it with me. If I leave the key switch meth heads will probably jam a screwdriver into it anyway and destroy it as they try and steal it. My thought is to just pull the switch out through to dash (if there is enough extra wire) and just let it hang out. That may not look nice but then I could just plug in and unplug the switch when I leave. No way meth heads will have an extra key switch on hand. My camp house is only accessible by boat and local scumbags tend to only have small aluminum boats but nevertheless they will try and load an over 1000 pound SxS on their boat.
No removing the switch just makes it easier to jump the two terminals together to start it up.

Better off putting a hidden kill switch in line of the ignition and or fuel pump then it can't be started key or no without it being turned on.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Guns are good theft deterrent
"My camp house is only accessible by boat and local scumbags tend to only have small aluminum boats but nevertheless they will try and load an over 1000 pound SxS on their boat."

What caliber artillery do you suggest for his situation, being as he doesn't live on site?

H

HondaTech

"My camp house is only accessible by boat and local scumbags tend to only have small aluminum boats but nevertheless they will try and load an over 1000 pound SxS on their boat."

What caliber artillery do you suggest for his situation, being as he doesn't live on site?

Land Mines
Water Mines
Remote Controlled Gatlin gun

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2

338 lapua

W

WGA1

May 15, 2021
Houston
Ownership

1. 500
No removing the switch just makes it easier to jump the two terminals together to start it up.

Better off putting a hidden kill switch in line of the ignition and or fuel pump then it can't be started key or no without it being turned on.
Thanks, I thought about that but wasn't sure. Meth heads I can guarantee know how to it. I had originally considered the kill switch; guess I will go back to that. Too bad a removable steering wheel is not an option.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Its very simple see….I have my P1 at my cabin in a remote area for extended periods In the garage. First line if defense, I have a cellular trail cam strategically positioned outside with solar battery and another triggered video cam solar powered up 12’ high And they will not see the cams and signs warning them in 2 places before hand to cover my ass And theres if they are wise. Now if they are stupid to Ignore that the second line of defense kicks in if they try any of the 2 doors to the P1, lets just say they will not be able to move very well for a bit and deff not be able to carry on there foolish agenda And it all we be on camera Theres more than 1 way to skin a cat. 🥳💥

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

One of these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

v908

v908

Feb 14, 2020
Santa Clarita, CA
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you're worried about the ignition lock being damaged or rendered unusable due to theft attempts I would disconnect it, but leave it there as a dummy theft deterrent (let them try to start it, you don't care), then route the wires elsewhere to another switch (keyed, ideally). That way they won't see that it's been modified and even if the f with the lock it won't prevent you from starting/running afterward.

K

KimberproSS

Jul 16, 2019
Mount Vernon, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, I thought about that but wasn't sure. Meth heads I can guarantee know how to it. I had originally considered the kill switch; guess I will go back to that. Too bad a removable steering wheel is not an option.
My thoughts, a hidden disconnect is best. The thief would have to find it an unless they know the machine, it would be difficult. Especially if it were electronic with a remote.

G

G-money

Apr 9, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the idea of taking off the steering wheel when i leave my rig to go hunting. Just pack the steering wheel withr or hide it in the woods. One bolt sounds easy enough. Does anybody actually do this with their pioneer?

W

WRFP399

Jul 12, 2021
Eagle River, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I lost my key on my 1000. With a pair of paper clips I was able to "hotwire" it in just a few moments. You would be better served by a switch wired in somewhere well AFTER the ignition pigtail so that same ability to jumper doesn't also by-pass the swtich.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I remove the steering wheel on my talon when I leave it to go park my ass in a tree stand for a couple of hours, key in pocket, and insurance is last resort.....

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Its very simple see….I have my P1 at my cabin in a remote area for extended periods In the garage. First line if defense, I have a cellular trail cam strategically positioned outside with solar battery and another triggered video cam solar powered up 12’ high And they will not see the cams and signs warning them in 2 places before hand to cover my ass And theres if they are wise. Now if they are stupid to Ignore that the second line of defense kicks in if they try any of the 2 doors to the P1, lets just say they will not be able to move very well for a bit and deff not be able to carry on there foolish agenda And it all we be on camera Theres more than 1 way to skin a cat. 🥳💥
You can't bait'em. It's against the law. You shouldn't have nice things.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You can't bait'em. It's against the law. You shouldn't have nice things.
who says Im baiting them?
Im warning them!
Not my fault they want to brake the law. 1/2 the time the nice things are not there ha!
If I wanted to bait them, trust me they wouldnt get past the gate ;)
everything Im doing is perfectly legal per my cousin thats a deputy And apart of my camp.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!