P700 Installing a dual battery

P

Philippe

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2017
Ottawa
Ownership

1. 700-4
How are you guys And gals ,I’m new at this stuff and I want to instal another battery to power all my new stuff .any insight would be appreciate

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
My opinion, I got rid of the factory battery altogether . I built a bracket under the drivers seat like everyone else, put a 78 series oddesy red top, ran cables to the existing location and mounted 2 posts/studs through the plastic side housing. Then inside where the old battery was I mounted my rear winch control. I did mount a heat shield around the battery to help reduce the heat.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi Philippe

Welcome to the forum. Others will have some opinions on this.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
welcome from pa
I have the stock along with a full size battery under the drivers seat It runs all added on accessories,I bought the true utv isolator so it cycles charging them both.my stock battery runs starter and stock lights.My auxillary battery runs winch and added on accessories. I too was just going to do the single car battery alone, but this way I have the safety and odds of both batterys wont die together in some unforeseen instance somewhere.you also can put a spare under the hood.But if you want or have power steering It wont fit as easy.

Reactions: Mudwing
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Newbie here! Picking up our new p700 this Saturday. Can’t wait.! Also wanting to install a dual battery set-up! Have a few questions myself wasn’t sure if I should start a new post or not. Don’t want to take over this post. Thanks!

Reactions: Tflynn
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Newbie here! Picking up our new p700 this Saturday. Can’t wait.! Also wanting to install a dual battery set-up! Have a few questions myself wasn’t sure if I should start a new post or not. Don’t want to take over this post. Thanks!
welcome sheepdog and phillippe just ask away,if you make another post On will get lost.And that way you both learn and ask questions the others can help with...also use the search and type in 700 auxillary battery

Reactions: Mudwing
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
welcome sheepdog and phillippe just ask away,if you make another post On will get lost.And that way you both learn and ask questions the others can help with...also use the search and type in 700 auxillary battery
Ok great! Thanks. I would like to add the aux’ battery under the hood and use the same after market parts I saw in a p1000 install video. I know the p700 doesn’t have the room under the hood like the 1000 does but I think I can make it work. First question is running the battery wires from the stock battery thru an isolator to the aux battery under the hood, should I use a certain gauge wire for that length. Also I have 2 new Duracell 12v 12ah batterys, would like to use one of these for the aux battery. Would those work, I think the Duracell model is 12F2. Thanks again.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok great! Thanks. I would like to add the aux’ battery under the hood and use the same after market parts I saw in a p1000 install video. I know the p700 doesn’t have the room under the hood like the 1000 does but I think I can make it work. First question is running the battery wires from the stock battery thru an isolator to the aux battery under the hood, should I use a certain gauge wire for that length. Also I have 2 new Duracell 12v 12ah batterys, would like to use one of these for the aux battery. Would those work, I think the Duracell model is 12F2. Thanks again.
My guess is that what I have read those battery should be ok. The only thing that can concerns me is it going to be able to be charged at 13.6 to 14 volts. But if it doesn't no biggie just swap out for another that will.as far as wire size for power and ground I wouldn't do anything smaller than 8 gauge wire. And remember if you intend to install power steering or a heater then the battery under the hood will not work.

Reactions: Sheepdog
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
My guess is that what I have read those battery should be ok. The only thing that can concerns me is it going to be able to be charged at 13.6 to 14 volts. But if it doesn't no biggie just swap out for another that will.as far as wire size for power and ground I wouldn't do anything smaller than 8 gauge wire. And remember if you intend to install power steering or a heater then the battery under the hood will not work.
Ok thank you for the reply, I am planning on installing power steering eventually, so I guess I will install the aux battery somewhere else then.

advertisement
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok thank you for the reply, I am planning on installing power steering eventually, so I guess I will install the aux battery somewhere else then.
I have the stock battery and isolator along with a cheap Napa battery mounted under drivers seat. It was simple to install. If you weld a little or can retro fit something it's easy to connect to. Just go to the 700 accessories section on here and search down through it. You will find several of us have done it and took pics. Once you pull off a few pieces of plastics and jack the machine up it easy to get at things.

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have the stock battery and isolator along with a cheap Napa battery mounted under drivers seat. It was simple to install. If you weld a little or can retro fit something it's easy to connect to. Just go to the 700 accessories section on here and search down through it. You will find several of us have done it and took pics. Once you pull off a few pieces of plastics and jack the machine up it easy to get at things.
Ok great thanks!! Thank.!

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
369209FB D6C8 4C94 8902 07677526D1FB
Ok great thanks!! Thank.!
After looking over my 700 I’m thinking of installing my aux battery under the seat next to the main battery and also putting the solenoid and isolator there as well. I would like to put my aux fuse box and relays under the drivers side of the seat. My question is, is there a certain length the wires should be to each other for optimum usage. Like wires from battery to relays to fuse box ect. I think it’s like 16 inches from where my aux battery will be and where the relays and aux fuse panel will be.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
View attachment 82607
After looking over my 700 I’m thinking of installing my aux battery under the seat next to the main battery and also putting the solenoid and isolator there as well. I would like to put my aux fuse box and relays under the drivers side of the seat. My question is, is there a certain length the wires should be to each other for optimum usage. Like wires from battery to relays to fuse box ect. I think it’s like 16 inches from where my aux battery will be and where the relays and aux fuse panel will be.
What size battery are you going to use for auxiliary battery.and how are you going to put it beside stock battery?
And the fuses and relays will have to be in a marine style fuse and relay holder under the seat. It's hot and damp under there and sometimes when you hit water there is steam. I recommend you run a 8 gauge wire or larger from The auxiliary battery up to under dash or hood to relays and fuse box. And wire out to accessorys that way.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 4843
I put my true utv isolator in the tool holder slot

Reactions: Sheepdog
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
Th
What size battery are you going to use for auxiliary battery.and how are you going to put it beside stock battery?
And the fuses and relays will have to be in a marine style fuse and relay holder under the seat. It's hot and damp under there and sometimes when you hit water there is steam. I recommend you run a 8 gauge wire or larger from The auxiliary battery up to under dash or hood to relays and fuse box. And wire out to accessorys that way.
im going to use a Duracell 12v 12ah model 12F2. Going to make a battery box. I would rather use under the hood but wasn’t sure if that was to far away for the relays and fuse box. Going to use a Blue sea systems fuse box. Stinger solenoid. TRU isolator. 100 amp disconnect. Want to do the same setup as NCDragon21 did in his pioneer1000 YouTube video, or close as possible with the room I have.

Reactions: swsebek
Sheepdog

Sheepdog

Jul 23, 2018
Lyles Tennessee
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I picked this up today at advanced auto, was looking to buy 8ga wire by the foot to run from aux battery to under the hood for my fuse panel ect. They didn’t have 8ga, This says 10ga but is heavier then the 10 ga I saw in a small roll and this was cheaper. I will just cut off the clamp ends will this work?

321035ED 5B99 437A AB08 6DF170C5C90B

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I picked this up today at advanced auto, was looking to buy 8ga wire by the foot to run from aux battery to under the hood for my fuse panel ect. They didn’t have 8ga, This says 10ga but is heavier then the 10 ga I saw in a small roll and this was cheaper. I will just cut off the clamp ends will this work?

View attachment 82954

NOOOOOOO

10 is way too light for battery cable, 6ga or larger at a minimum, I bought some 2ga jumper cables from amazon fairly cheap.