BOX1

P700 Installing Commander XT shocks

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be installing some commander XT shocks on my P700-4. I realized a lot of people had issues with delivery of bushings and sleeves for the rear conversions and decided to bring my rear shocks to my local welding shop for them to make these bushing and sleeves on the spot. Once these are done i will take pictures of the finished product. Also, the springs I got were yellow but my Pi is red, so those are off to get a nice red powder coat on them(also, pictures to follow. I wanted to know if there are any issues installing the tracks with these new shocks as you do need to take long bolts out of the rear A-arm joints to put the bracket for tracks on? Any feedback would be good. I will eventually find out on my own! lol

IMG 2132

Reactions: Tflynn and swsebek
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
The bushing we have been using are rubber with a metal sleeve. I'm a little curious. What is your welding shop going to fabricate?

Reactions: primeau
primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The bushing we have been using are rubber with a metal sleeve. I'm a little curious. What is your welding shop going to fabricate?
He'll be making the bushings out of poly, and metal sleeves. The bushing will be one piece instead of the two required in other installs i've read about. They will be taking the old ones out and putting the new ones in themselves, so no worries for me ruining the bushings which i guess people have done. I will post a picture(s) of the whole process. My guy for the springs just called also, he just finished sand blasting the yellow off now putting a "blood red" coat on then springs, can't wait.

Reactions: Tflynn
primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also, had a question, since I don't have a spanning wrench. My springs are off right now, what should i set the preload to(not sure if i'm calling it right?) Lowest, highest, 2 notches, 3notches. Just wondering because i can just set that up when i put the springs back on.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Mine work great at the lowest setting. Also trying to keep axle angle to minimum.

Reactions: ByronM and primeau
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I'd like to have my springs blue to match my wheels n sxs.
I have considered having solid billet bushings milled to replace the poly n metal tubes. The only thing i can think of is the shocks eyelet will wear with a harder metal there. I'm going to have to redo another bushing on a rear shock. I run mine on the lowest preload settings also and haven't had any problems.

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed the two fronts shocks(sorry i didn't get a chance to post a pic, but I will tonight) and after that i went for a short ride and got a knocking sound from the front end passenger side twice when i went over dips in the trail on that side. Hasn't done it since. My CV arm on that side seems to be at it's extreme as far as angle. I hope there is no damage to the front end or axles, cv joint. I guess the only way to find out is to pull everything apart.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I installed the two fronts shocks(sorry i didn't get a chance to post a pic, but I will tonight) and after that i went for a short ride and got a knocking sound from the front end passenger side twice when i went over dips in the trail on that side. Hasn't done it since. My CV arm on that side seems to be at it's extreme as far as angle. I hope there is no damage to the front end or axles, cv joint. I guess the only way to find out is to pull everything apart.
Mines does this also but it is the shock stopping at full extension.

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mines does this also but it is the shock stopping at full extension.
Those you cv boot look angled really steep? Have you ever had any damage? I actually got on my front bumper and jumped on it because the lift difference was almost 4 inches, after that it was about 2 3/4 to 3 inches. lol

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I ripped my RF out on new year ride being mad. :D I now have Rhino axles.

Last edited:
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
Those you cv boot look angled really steep? Have you ever had any damage? I actually got on my front bumper and jumped on it because the lift difference was almost 4 inches, after that it was about 2 3/4 to 3 inches. lol
Sorry yes the angle looks very steep too me. The RF axle has 2 angles in it also. The rf wheel is behind the center like of the axle. Mine broke because of my anger, 4wd full lock, hard right turn and WFO. The SuperATV Rhino axles are an improvement angle, diameter, boots and length.

primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry yes the angle looks very steep too me. The RF axle has 2 angles in it also. The rf wheel is behind the center like of the axle. Mine broke because of my anger, 4wd full lock, hard right turn and WFO. The SuperATV Rhino axles are an improvement angle, diameter, boots and length.
I should be getting my bushings and sleeves soon from my welding guys, i was wondering if i should put my sway bar back on with the new shocks or just leave it? It's been off for a while and the only thing i've noticed was a little roll on corners. I'll be posting pictures of the front end with the new shocks and then the finished product. Any tips for installing the rear shocks?

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I've had one of my sway bar endlink undone for a while. The last time i R&R my rear i used jackstands underneath the mid to rear frame and a jack beneath the lower control arm i was installing the shock on. A prybar comes in handy also. If you don't have jackstands you can use this method too. My jackstands were tied up when I was swapping an axle.

20160923 084028

Reactions: Gator and primeau
primeau

primeau

Dec 3, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had one of my sway bar endlink undone for a while. The last time i R&R my rear i used jackstands underneath the mid to rear frame and a jack beneath the lower control arm i was installing the shock on. A prybar comes in handy also. If you don't have jackstands you can use this method too. My jackstands were tied up when I was swapping an axle.

View attachment 46904
I've got some tools, probably won't need to truck! lol

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
They look good. What are they made from?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!