P500 Installing power steering question

M

Morrelfinder

Mar 21, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hey there! I’m installing a super atv power steering kit on my 500. My battery is about full from other mods, do I need to install a second batt for my power steering? I could prob get it on the original batt but was wondering if there is such a thing as having to much load on 1 battery? If I do need a second batt , can someone shoot me a link on how to do it? Thx!

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
A second battery is a good idea,but not a cure all.If the stator can't keep up with electrical demand.Lot of lights,big speakers,P.S.,all adds up.I believe the output of the stator is about 40 amps.That being said,I run a second battery exactly like the stock one,under the hood.
DSC01236

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Unless you are close to being maxed out, I don’t think the Power Steering draws anything near the max listed wattage during most use. I’m not an electrical engineer but thinking it only pulls current commensurate with the resistance.

S

spartner

Oct 17, 2019
Spokane
Ownership

1. 500
Just run one heavy gauge cable (size it to run your winch, I think I used 4 gauge cable) from the battery to under the front hood. Attach it to a buss buss bar under the hood. You can then attach everything you want in the future, including your winch, from there without all the hassle of getting to your battery. If you are concerned about too much draw possibly with all of your attachments, you can install a fuse just before the buss bar. I also installed a second buss bar just for all the items I want connected to the ignition so nothing can accidentally be left on and kill my battery when it is parked. It makes all those connections much easier. You could even use a third buss bar for all your grounds. Makes for a very clean and easy install.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!