P500 Power Steering/winch

P

Pwright29

Nov 15, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a 2021 Pioneer 520. Iboughta Badlands 3500 winch several months ago, still havent installed it and just now bought SATV poer steering kit which l am going to install. My questions are, Can l put both the power steering and winch on the one stock battery or will l need two batteries? and if one battery will be ok, what is the best way to wire up the powetr steering and winch together to the one battery? Thanks for any advice. I am new at this

P

Pwright29

Nov 15, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Fat cable from the winch solenoid back to the battery. Power steering can be wired to the solenoid for power.
Thank you. Do you think it would be ok to only have the one battery to operate both the winch and power steering? I dont really trail ride, primarily use it on the gravel roads in my neighborhood and yard work, hauling firewood, pulling a little trailer, etc

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
The power steering doesn't use a whole lot of power, and most of the time, you're not going to be using the winch hard and turning at the same time so I don't think you'll have any problems with just the 1 stock battery. I have a 6000lb winch, and used the stock battery for almost 2 years before I upgraded to a dual battery system.

Biggest reasons to get a dual battery setup, are running a *big* winch, running the winch really hard (like stuck in mud up to the seats), or running alot of extra stuff, like radios light bars and big sound system etc, and/or wanting to use the radio/sound system while the machine is off. So it uses up the power from the 2nd battery, but leaves you with the main battery to still be able to start it.

Being in NC, I don't think you're going to use it to plow snow, are you? Running the winch constantly up and down for a snowplow is also usefull to have a 2nd battery.

But like Trigger said, use a nice big fat cable from the battery back to the winch solenoid, and tap off that for the power steering.

P

Pwright29

Nov 15, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The power steering doesn't use a whole lot of power, and most of the time, you're not going to be using the winch hard and turning at the same time so I don't think you'll have any problems with just the 1 stock battery. I have a 6000lb winch, and used the stock battery for almost 2 years before I upgraded to a dual battery system.

Biggest reasons to get a dual battery setup, are running a *big* winch, running the winch really hard (like stuck in mud up to the seats), or running alot of extra stuff, like radios light bars and big sound system etc, and/or wanting to use the radio/sound system while the machine is off. So it uses up the power from the 2nd battery, but leaves you with the main battery to still be able to start it.

Being in NC, I don't think you're going to use it to plow snow, are you? Running the winch constantly up and down for a snowplow is also usefull to have a 2nd battery.

But like Trigger said, use a nice big fat cable from the battery back to the winch solenoid, and tap off that for the power steering.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Winch is nice insurance to have. Also usefull to pack along some extra strap, a tree saver, and maybe a shackle and pully.

Can get yourself unstuck, get somebody else unstuck, move logs/rocks etc. Pull things out of the ditch.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

^^^^ This ^^^^

P

Pwright29

Nov 15, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I read somewhere where some people run from the battery to a switchable breaker then to some posts under the hood. And hookup the winch and power steering to the posts. Do you all recommend that or hook power steering to the winch relay? And leave out the breaker?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I read somewhere where some people run from the battery to a switchable breaker then to some posts under the hood. And hookup the winch and power steering to the posts. Do you all recommend that or hook power steering to the winch relay? And leave out the breaker?
The breaker is peace of mind if the high amp wire gets rubbed/shorts out along its route over the years of bumps. The switched breaker is easy to isolate the accessories during long term storage or when working on that circuit as that high amp winch wire is essentially an extension of the battery terminals.

Last edited:
TBea

TBea

Supporting Member
Dec 6, 2020
So. Cal.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a 2021 Pioneer 520. Iboughta Badlands 3500 winch several months ago, still havent installed it and just now bought SATV poer steering kit which l am going to install. My questions are, Can l put both the power steering and winch on the one stock battery or will l need two batteries? and if one battery will be ok, what is the best way to wire up the powetr steering and winch together to the one battery? Thanks for any advice. I am new at this
I did'nt add another battery. Works fine.

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!