BOX1

P500 Power steering

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I really can't understand the need for power steering. I don't have any trouble steering mine.
I was of the same opinion on my blue 500. However, when you are on a narrow trail on the side of a mountain and need to turn around and do even a six point turn you will come to appreciate the power steering. So you don't really need it, but it sure is nice. I, too, have some shoulder problems and power steering makes the trip so much better.
I finally broke down and bought one and installed it.
If you ever have the opportunity to drive someone's 500/520 in the rough stuff with power steering you probably should just say no! Otherwise get ready to join the rest of us that experience a much easier ride.

idahoron

idahoron

May 3, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Work a crappy trucking job for too many years, ruin your left shoulder and right elbow, get old, and you'll understand 🤣

Plus, like @trigger said, helps for the 50-point turns and bump steer.

I'll also add, its nice to be able to steer it 1-handed while plowing the driveway and drinking my coffee.

I unloaded trucks, and rail cars of bulk fish meal, and bagged and stacked fish feed in 50 pound bags for 35 years. I am well aware of shoulder problems. I had to give up archery hunting due to shoulder issues. That said the steering isn't that bad, I mean really.

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I unloaded trucks, and rail cars of bulk fish meal, and bagged and stacked fish feed in 50 pound bags for 35 years. I am well aware of shoulder problems. I had to give up archery hunting due to shoulder issues. That said the steering isn't that bad, I mean really.
Yeah, the stock steering isn't terrible, I've driven worse. Heck, I had an '87 Suzuki Samurai I road and wheeled with daily for years, that didn't have PS.

It's not needed, but it is really nice to have, along with bigger tires, skid plate, winch, lightbar, windshield, bigger cup holders, TriggerShield, radio, nerf bars, shocks, trail repair tools, 2nd battery, etc etc.

If you don't want to get it, you don't have to. Use the $$ towards whatever else you need. It's your ride, set it up how you want to use it. For the rest of us, we like power steering. 🤣

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Idahoron,
I believe I owe you an apology. In my enthusiasm to express my opinion on the power steering issue, I ignored and discounted your opinion. I am ashamed that my email was a bit patronizing. I'm sorry, and I apologize. The fact that we can express our differences in a civil manner on this forum is what makes it so great. I need to remember that.
I grew up in Southern Idaho, a few miles from some large fish farms in the Snake River canyon and know exactly how hard you worked throwing those sacks around.
You are correct - power steering on the P500 is not absolutely necessary. I spent a year without it.
Ride safe my friend.
Idahotruckman

TBea

TBea

Supporting Member
Dec 6, 2020
So. Cal.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
The PS unit is great and the torque is a must. Makes a big difference when you need it.

Reactions: futzin and Red500
C2Corvette1

C2Corvette1

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 520
EPS makes it *much* easier to get through this stuff without the bump steer. One hand on the wheel, other hand on the rollbar handle to stop from jostling around:
Well now you need a "necker knob" to properly finish it off.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!