P500 Interesting pull off - P500 vs RZR900

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
A rock has traction? I am not sure what your talking about, but the results in the video have nothing to do with torque. The 500 does not have the hp or the torque of the 900. Check out Utube, you will see tug of war pull offs that show smaller, less powerful vehicles pulling back more powerful vehicles in similar tug of war contests. The vehicle with more traction will win.
Yes, the 900 has more rated torque and more rated horsepower, but they are rated at a much higher RPM. The Honda's torque reaches it's peak at a lower RPM, or more quickly than the 900. By the time the 900 is turning the RPMs to reach it's "powerband", it is playing catch up. Since the 900 is also stationary, and in gear, something has to give to relieve stress on the drivetrain. In this case, the wheels spin, and the 900 loses traction. You can move a huge load, with a very small power source, IF you can utilize said power. As a child, I can remember people bringing in cotton wagons to my uncle's gin. More than once, I've seen people with full-sized (half-ton) pick-up trucks go out to move one around the lot, and not be able to budge it. They would sit on top of the gravel and spin their wheels. My uncle would send me out with an old Cub Cadet lawn tractor, with a hydrostatic transmission. It was rated at 15hp, and weighed less than half of their pick-ups. However, it had full torque across it's ENTIRE powerband. I could incrementally ease the power forward, until I had enough momentum to start the wagon moving. Smaller tires, less weight, and less than 20% of the rated horsepower and torque of any pick-up, but it would move a larger load. That's not traction, it's applied torque. The same mechanical principle is being demonstrated in the video.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
my old king quad 300 with stock tires out pulled in a tug, an arctic cat 700, Polaris 850 and 550, and a sportman 500, super low range and dif lock with lesser tires than all my buddies at the time plus the Suzuki weighed less, but that thing would drag them all backwards while they were spraying dirt, rocks and smoking belts. funny as hell. obviously one at atime.

ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013
Yes, the 900 has more rated torque and more rated horsepower, but they are rated at a much higher RPM. The Honda's torque reaches it's peak at a lower RPM, or more quickly than the 900. By the time the 900 is turning the RPMs to reach it's "powerband", it is playing catch up. Since the 900 is also stationary, and in gear, something has to give to relieve stress on the drivetrain. In this case, the wheels spin, and the 900 loses traction. You can move a huge load, with a very small power source, IF you can utilize said power. As a child, I can remember people bringing in cotton wagons to my uncle's gin. More than once, I've seen people with full-sized (half-ton) pick-up trucks go out to move one around the lot, and not be able to budge it. They would sit on top of the gravel and spin their wheels. My uncle would send me out with an old Cub Cadet lawn tractor, with a hydrostatic transmission. It was rated at 15hp, and weighed less than half of their pick-ups. However, it had full torque across it's ENTIRE powerband. I could incrementally ease the power forward, until I had enough momentum to start the wagon moving. Smaller tires, less weight, and less than 20% of the rated horsepower and torque of any pick-up, but it would move a larger load. That's not traction, it's applied torque. The same mechanical principle is being demonstrated in the video.

The vehicle that can put the power to the ground most effectively wins.

Reactions: idcwby and Hondasxs
ksss

ksss

Jul 14, 2013
I am not saying that torque doesn't apply in some situations, however in this one, but have sufficient torque to pull the other, the winner will be the machine that can most effectively put the power to the ground. No different than adding weight to Ag tractors for the same purpose, to make them pull more efficiently with less wheel slippage.

Reactions: Hondasxs
C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
One thing is clear... anyone looking to buy a sxs because they want to go on the pulling circuit should opt for a p500 over a Rzr900. For anyone who won't be spending all their time doing pull-offs, not sure this helps you.

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
One thing is clear... anyone looking to buy a sxs because they want to go on the pulling circuit should opt for a p500 over a Rzr900. For anyone who won't be spending all their time doing pull-offs, not sure this helps you.
@classichonda do you like your rzr?

Reactions: p500fan
sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015

lol, ok.

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Welcome @JonWard,
is this u in the video?
Ya. We've been having some fun with the video. Thanks for being a sport and do'ing a pull off with that rzr.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
I beleave.... that that Polaris has to spin the rear tires to get the front wheel drive to work. that means the rear has already lost traction when the front starts pulling. any one that has spent any time in the snow knows once your spinning that tire has lost 80% of its traction.
that like the people who have 4 wheel drive and don't use it until there stuck. dumb ass you wouldn't be stuck if you had started in 4 wheel drive.

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As mentioned the Polaris 4 Wheel Drive system is detrimental here. The rear wheels have to slip to for the front wheels to engage. The force required to overcome static friction is much greater than the force to overcome kinetic friction. That is why it is difficult to start sliding something but once it is moving it is easy to keep going.

A pull of any sort comes down to traction far more than torque because once you start spinning the tires you can have all the torque in the world but it won't help you. That's why if you have two identical vehicles pulling the driver who gases it harder will usually lose, his tires will spin and the other rig can pull because he has the advantage in traction.

A link discussing static vs kinetic friction:
Static & Kinetic Friction

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!