BOX1

P1000m3 Introduction from Nevada

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't had a chance to really test out the GPS on a ride or play around with it much. During install the Tread App on my phone seemed a little glitchy, but seems to be working now. The GPS unit itself seamlessly performed software/map updates over WiFi, and I like the display and interface so far. I have the Honda power harness for it which splits off the accessory 12v outlet from the lower dash, so the GPS powers on automatically with key-on power, and performs shutdown sequence after power loss.

Also, full disclosure I kind of got tricked into this particular purchase. I had been searching for the Honda accessory part number 0SS50-HL4-A00 from their 2022 Accessory listing, which from the marketing appeared to be the Group Ride Radio version of the GPS. I found this part number for sale from Partzilla.com for $648 which I thought was a screaming deal compared to the more common $799 list price for the Group Ride Version. Turns out the Honda part number version includes the Group Ride Radio mount and antenna but no hand mic, go figure 😒. So anyway I was kind of pissed and only discovered this after fully installing the power wiring. It appears that this unit as configured will transmit and receive rider locations for those using Group Ride, just no voice communication unless the hand mic or maybe a Bluetooth headset is used. I was honestly leaning toward the Base Tread model without Group Ride Radio, and do like the powered mount that I now have. Plus now there's a Honda wings emblem on the screen startup because it was a Honda edition Garmin! 🤘

Nice rig, welcome from AZ :)

In regards to communication, I personally like to keep that separate in-case your GPS unit doesnt work or has a snag, then you lose everything.
You can go this route from a very knowledgeable member here, all are good choices depending on riding style and how far you want to talk: Radio Kits

Horse

Horse

Sep 16, 2022
Minden, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Nice rig, welcome from AZ :)

In regards to communication, I personally like to keep that separate in-case your GPS unit doesnt work or has a snag, then you lose everything.
You can go this route from a very knowledgeable member here, all are good choices depending on riding style and how far you want to talk: Radio Kits

Thanks and agreed on separate communication systems. Right now I don't even know anyone using the MURS frequencies of the Garmin Tread, so not useful to me yet. I also already have a TYT TH-8600 dual band radio sitting on my bench to install. My choice of a metal roof was to facilitate antenna installation with a good ground plane. When out hunting, which is really mostly by foot anyway once at a destination, our group has used GMRS/FRS handhelds. For emergency purposes I also always carry a Garmin Inreach Mini.

Horse

Horse

Sep 16, 2022
Minden, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here's a few more pics from outside moving hay around before a storm we have coming. Forgot to mention that I also installed the Honda rear bumper.

20221229 110920 20221229 110936 20221229 110932

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks and agreed on separate communication systems. Right now I don't even know anyone using the MURS frequencies of the Garmin Tread, so not useful to me yet. I also already have a TYT TH-8600 dual band radio sitting on my bench to install. My choice of a metal roof was to facilitate antenna installation with a good ground plane. When out hunting, which is really mostly by foot anyway once at a destination, our group has used GMRS/FRS handhelds. For emergency purposes I also always carry a Garmin Inreach Mini.

I actually have that very same radio and it's my favorite. I've programmed every off road frequency (and as much as I'll get flamed for saying...every band) so if I get stuck or as we ride with pretty much every kind of off road group there is that use's different frequencies/bands we are covered. FWIW, for close car to car communication or if there's lots of low hanging trees, etc. I use the little stubby low profile antenna Browning Low Profile UHF / GMRS Antenna with a magnetic mount Browning Magnetic Antenna Mount - NMO Antenna, I also carry the longer tri-band or dual band if you wish Tri-Band Whip Antenna
There is a dip or valley toward the back of the Honda hard roof where I have it mounted...so far even in the most aggressive trails with vegetation it hasn't been knocked off. I uses the magnetic mount so hopefully it will just know over, not ripped out or broke.
You would do even better if it was grounded to the frame with a ground plane, but we are limited with options eh, at some point I will put a big grounded pie pan like plate up there, but then the antenna is higher more exposed to trees.
I've gotten pretty good talk reports back the way it is. There really is no wrong answer but certainly much better LOL.

Horse

Horse

Sep 16, 2022
Minden, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
9I actually have that very same radio and it's my favorite. I've programmed every off road frequency (and as much as I'll get flamed for saying...every band) so if I get stuck or as we ride with pretty much every kind of off road group there is that use's different frequencies/bands we are covered. FWIW, for close car to car communication or if there's lots of low hanging trees, etc. I use the little stubby low profile antenna Browning Low Profile UHF / GMRS Antenna with a magnetic mount Browning Magnetic Antenna Mount - NMO Antenna, I also carry the longer tri-band or dual band if you wish Tri-Band Whip Antenna
There is a dip or valley toward the back of the Honda hard roof where I have it mounted...so far even in the most aggressive trails with vegetation it hasn't been knocked off. I uses the magnetic mount so hopefully it will just know over, not ripped out or broke.
You would do even better if it was grounded to the frame with a ground plane, but we are limited with options eh, at some point I will put a big grounded pie pan like plate up there, but then the antenna is higher more exposed to trees.
I've gotten pretty good talk reports back the way it is. There really is no wrong answer but certainly much better LOL.

Nice to hear the positive report on this radio. I was thinking about a similar low profile antenna, but figured that even at only say 6" height, it would be fairly rigid. I still want to fit in my garage which is only 82" door clearance unfortunately (one of my biggest complaints of this house I moved into this summer, already can't fit my Jeep in there currently). However, I like your mag mount idea, it would be a viable solution for the garage and mitigating trail damage. I picked up this antenna Comet Mobile VHF/UHF Vertical Antennas SS-460SBNMO. Only 18" height and on a spring base, going to use a NMO mount directly attached thru the metal roof. We'll see how it works out.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice to hear the positive report on this radio. I was thinking about a similar low profile antenna, but figured that even at only say 6" height, it would be fairly rigid. I still want to fit in my garage which is only 82" door clearance unfortunately (one of my biggest complaints of this house I moved into this summer, already can't fit my Jeep in there currently). However, I like your mag mount idea, it would be a viable solution for the garage and mitigating trail damage. I picked up this antenna Comet Mobile VHF/UHF Vertical Antennas SS-460SBNMO. Only 18" height and on a spring base, going to use a NMO mount directly attached thru the metal roof. We'll see how it works out.
That antenna works well, and way better. My buggy won’t fit in my toy hauler with any antenna, so I simply unscrew it and put it in the glove box or behind the seat (depending on which one I’m using) it’s kind of a pain but becomes the norm after a few times, you can still receive and transmit without the antenna (but that will cause radio damage if you key the mic or talk much without it), but at least you could hear what others are saying until you remember to screw it back on. I put a hanging strap on the steering wheel to remind me 🤣

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That antenna works well, and way better. My buggy won’t fit in my toy hauler with any antenna, so I simply unscrew it and put it in the glove box or behind the seat (depending on which one I’m using) it’s kind of a pain but becomes the norm after a few times, you can still receive and transmit without the antenna (but that will cause radio damage if you key the mic or talk much without it), but at least you could hear what others are saying until you remember to screw it back on. I put a hanging strap on the steering wheel to remind me 🤣
FYI, If you’re talking on GRMS frequencies, a stock normal antenna is only 3-4”.

To your point, we pretty much only use GRMS frequencies, which you can program into that radio, since all of our hunting friends use the handhelds.

Last edited:
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seriously, if you already have a metal roof makes sure it’s grounded with the frame or electrical system (just because it’s metal doesn’t mean it’s grounded) and you’ll get better performance no matter what type antenna you use, but, if you were to use a grounded antenna tuned to your radio you’d be able to talk WAY further, if it matters 😊

If you want to further, get way better radio performance, get the 50 watt version. But, keep in mind, your radio performance is limited by the other folks radios in the group, if theirs isn’t as good as yours, you are wasting money…they’ll be able hear you for a much, much longer distance, but you won’t be able to hear them!

Horse

Horse

Sep 16, 2022
Minden, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Seriously, if you already have a metal roof makes sure it’s grounded with the frame or electrical system (just because it’s metal doesn’t mean it’s grounded) and you’ll get better performance no matter what type antenna you use, but, if you were to use a grounded antenna tuned to your radio you’d be able to talk WAY further, if it matters 😊

If you want to further, get way better radio performance, get the 50 watt version. But, keep in mind, your radio performance is limited by the other folks radios in the group, if theirs isn’t as good as yours, you are wasting money…they’ll be able hear you for a much, much longer distance, but you won’t be able to hear them

Good info! Grounding the roof will be an easy step to take. I think the 25 watts will be plenty, plus I think the higher power radios might lose the waterproof rating with a vented body and cooling fan. You got my brain turning and looking more into the programming and unlocking of these radios. 👍

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Welcome from Northern California. Nice rig, it will be perfect for hunting. We like Nevada and go there often with our Talon. My wife and I use to have horses, used them for hunting and trail rides. We are still hunters, putting venison in our freezer every year.

Horse

Horse

Sep 16, 2022
Minden, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Northern California. Nice rig, it will be perfect for hunting. We like Nevada and go there often with our Talon. My wife and I use to have horses, used them for hunting and trail rides. We are still hunters, putting venison in our freezer every year.
Right on. I had been living in South Lake Tahoe, CA for a while, but just moved down into Minden, NV and as a condition of the move my wife wanted to get back into horses. I want to start packing with them, so learning what I can in that regard. Picked up a lifetime hunting license before leaving California, so a default deer tag for me if unsuccessful elsewhere is always D3-D5. Been hunting NV also for years but looking forward to NV residency status this next year.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Right on. I had been living in South Lake Tahoe, CA for a while, but just moved down into Minden, NV and as a condition of the move my wife wanted to get back into horses. I want to start packing with them, so learning what I can in that regard. Picked up a lifetime hunting license before leaving California, so a default deer tag for me if unsuccessful elsewhere is always D3-D5. Been hunting NV also for years but looking forward to NV residency status this next year.
I still have a lot of my horse packing equipment if you're interested.
I was a licensed guide in Nevada for several years, guiding deer hunts north of Elko.
I'm still a licensed guide in California. I had a guy from Gardnerville come over for a wild pig hunt. I got him a nice big boar. He had it mounted life size.
Nice on the lifetime hunting license.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good info! Grounding the roof will be an easy step to take. I think the 25 watts will be plenty, plus I think the higher power radios might lose the waterproof rating with a vented body and cooling fan. You got my brain turning and looking more into the programming and unlocking of these radios. 👍
Unlocking that radio is very simple, I don’t recall which, but it’s just a matter of holding a few keys down while turning on the radio, a simple google will quickly show you how.
Programming isn’t difficult, but software from RT Systems makes it very easy. I’ll look if there is a way I could copy my file & send it, but you’ll have to have the matching software, which I think, I used factory TYT software on that particular radio. It’s a fun hobby in addition to the Pioneer. I think I like talking to everyone on the radio while on a ride, more than the ride itself LOL. That radio is also dual scan, so you can listen on two different bands/frequencies if there are different radios in the group.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Horse well welcome, neighbor! I'm a little late to the party, missed your intro post. I'm in Gardnerville, actually over against the mountain 1/2 mile north of Kingsbury and Foothill.

bumper

Reactions: Horse and Smittyp
Horse

Horse

Sep 16, 2022
Minden, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Horse well welcome, neighbor! I'm a little late to the party, missed your intro post. I'm in Gardnerville, actually over against the mountain 1/2 mile north of Kingsbury and Foothill.

bumper
Sounds like you're in a nice spot! I'm in the Johnson Lane area.

Reactions: bumperm and Smittyp
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!